Formation of Community Working Group on NEAR Ecosystem Governance
Following NEAR co-founder Illia Polosukhin’s talk on NEAR ecosystem governance at EthCC (video here), we’ve had a lot of questions from the community about how they can get involved in this critical initiative.
We are creating a new framework and implementation plan for an ecosystem-wide self-governance structure and treasury called the NEAR Digital Collective (NDC). The purpose of the NDC is to further decentralize NEAR’s ecosystem governance and move decision-making on-chain in order to make our community more resilient, transparent, and fair. The sooner we do this, the likelier we are to succeed.
A Community Working Group is now forming to take the next steps to launch and implement the NDC. We want the community to lead and shape this process. Building better, sustainable self-governance at a global level has to start with our own NEAR community. Every voice matters and we believe that, with our collective contributions, the NDC can serve as a model approach across Web3 for the creation and implementation of truly decentralized, on-chain governance.
This Community Working Group will produce a detailed roadmap and key milestones for NEAR governance implementation, focusing on the following areas:
- NEAR Constitution. Creation and ratification of shared values and basic rights for all community members. NEAR ecosystem’s north star.
- Governance Framework & Proposal Process. Vision for a decentralized governance system & core governance components confirming structure, responsibilities, participation rules, and dispute resolution process.
- Technical Governance Development Plan. On-chain practical implementation of the governance framework.
- Legal Framework. Legal structure for the governance structure to ensure sustainability, risk mitigation, and true community ownership.
- Community Engagement Guidelines. Standards to encourage positive, sustainable community behavior and interaction consistent with the values of the NEAR Constitution.
If you would like to join the Community Working Group, please apply here. We would love to have you involved!
Signed: Pagoda, NEAR UA, NEAR Foundation, Proximity Labs, MOVE Capital, NEAR Balkans, MetaWeb, Orderly, NEAR Vietnam, Satori, Open Shard Alliance, Open Forest Protocol, Human Guild, Aurora, HAPI Labs, Calimero, OnMachina, Kikimora, AstroDAO, and NEAR Office of the Co-Founders