[Closed] The BlockChat @ NEARCON 2022

Hello @marketingdao-council,

Probably you still don’t know me, so let me quickly introduce myself: I’m Baga Defente, Brazilian poet, publisher & artist-etc. part of the Near ecosystem since last January (and on the NFT/cryptoworld a year before).

INTRO

In these six months I’ve been part of Gambiarra DAO, Nomade Label DAO and the Writer’s Guild, in which I’m one of the founders and council member. I developed or participated in projects from all these DAOs, joined and won a few bounties over the forum, participated in discussions — that is to say, I have been experiencing this web3/blockchain thing on a daily basis since the beginning of this year.

So, I consider myself a really active user, especially when we look at the Near Brazilian creatives community. On this, I’m also part of a recently posted proposal that intends to find how many and who are the Brazilians inside Near.

THE BLOCKCHAT

One of the projects I created and I’m currently developing inside the Near ecosystem is The BlockChat — Near Friendly Talks, a biweekly live streamed online talk show created, produced and presented by myself, in which, during an hour, I talk with artists from different areas and languages, part of the Near ecosystem. The first six episodes were funded by Gambiarra DAO, so I’ve been talking with active members from their community.

I didn’t have this clearly in mind when I first proposed the project, but the show naturally gained an unforeseen educational load, because the guests and I are sharing our experiences living, creating and building this new, decentralized, internet era we call web3.

Since the last streamed episode, I started to make NFTs giveaway, creating an exclusive art collab with the guest, making the raffle live, during the talk. The idea is to select 5 winners per episode and, if they don’t have a Near wallet, they also win one.

I’m currently focused on talking with Brazilian creatives on Near, because I still don’t feel confident to host a live talk in English, but I guess it’s just a matter of time to start doing this. I also want to talk with people outside the Creatives world, like devs and entrepreneurs — and that’s where this proposal really starts.

PROPOSAL

I’d like to be part of the next NEARCON, that’s going to happen in September, in Lisbon. It could be a life-changing experience for me to get to know personally people I’ve been talking to over the last six months. Make new contacts, create more solid bridges and establish partnerships with Nearians around the world — and, in some way, represent the Brazilian creative community to spread our words, share my experiences and learn from others to help us build a stronger and stronger web3 community around the globe! :rocket:

I decided to propose this after some closer members provoked me to do that using The BlockChat as a medium to do it. They told me that the show can be a tool to broadcast and show what’s going on at NEARCON to the Brazilian community, presenting diverse NEAR projects and initiatives.

To encourage me, I received links to these two different proposals, one already approved and other, more complex, still in process (I hope it will be approved! :crossed_fingers:t4:):

Counterparts
As a counterpart to my travel expenses (flight, accommodation, food and transportation), I will do six special The BlockChat episodes, live streaming on NADA Studio Criativo’s YouTube Channel during the NEARCON. I’m calling them “special” because they will follow a different production logic and aesthetic than the regular show.

The idea is to select some relevant Portuguese speaker members that will be there and schedule a quick interview (15 to 30 minute each) with them, doing, at least, twice a day, at the same hour (like 11AM and 16PM, for instance). I intend to talk with Portuguese-speaking members from some established DAOS like MUTI, IncubadoraPT and CUDO.

Being also a cultural producer and creative entrepreneur, I would like to talk with Garden Collective, Raiz Vertical Farms and other initiatives that are using Near blockchain to bridge the virtual and physical worlds with new ways of collaborating, making events and doing business.

Besides that, I’m planning to do spontaneous short transmissions (maybe BlockChat NEARCON Drops) live streamed and/or posted on NADA Studio Criativo’s Instagram account showing discussions, impressions and whatever else happens during the conference that calls my attention.

Partnerships
As I’m only one person, I’m planning all this counting with the help of CUDO DAO, which, in the name of @hevertonharieno, kindly offered equipment and technical support for this proposal. I’d love to count with @blusw support, who is also proposing to be there. She will help me shooting the interviews and, if it happens to speak to a non-Portuguese guest, she will assume the front and I’ll be behind the camera.

I’ll also be available to help other communication teams covering the event that needs some technical or hosting support, if any.

The content produced during NEARCON that will be recorded and available on YouTube can also be later subtitled in English (or Portuguese, if we talk with some English speaker). I won’t put the costs of it inside this proposal, because we don’t know how many minutes we will really produce, but I guess this could be a future bounty funded by Marketing DAO — or even NADA DAO, when/if approved to request funds to NF.

Yeah, it’s all happening fast and at the same time, so I recently started to create a DAO version of the creative studio / micro publisher I’m part of, which brings me to the one last thing before costs breakdown.

BONUS: (Possible) NEAR funded book launch

Speaking about NADA, we are producing a book whose editorial process is being funded by the Writer’s Guild. If timing and workflow help us, the book’s second stage (print run and launching strategies) will already be funded by NADA DAO, so, if there’s available space on NEARCON, I’d love to make its launch there!

FUNDS BREAKDOWN

NEARCON it’s a 3-day event (Sep. 11-14), but the official website says NEARCON Week (Sep. 10-17), so I’d like to be there during these seven days with NF support, participating, meeting and networking the most I can. As I’ve never been to Portugal (or another European country), it would be nice to arrive at least two days before the event starts, to situate myself. Using this and the lower flight costs I found, the travel period should be September 7th - September 17th.

Personally speaking, I’d love to stay longer than those 10 days, paying for the extras costs by my own means (counting on some days of couchsurfing, so if you’re reading this and have a sofa in Lisbon, reach me in private, please! ;). This won’t affect the airplane tickets — better yet, staying longer lets me find cheaper options than coming back earlier.

Going deeper on personal and sincere questions, I have plans to move to Portugal next year or something like this, so having the privilege of meeting Near people, networking for possibilities and experiencing the city for a few weeks would be really awesome to me! This is an old wish, but now that my kids are getting older, I started to think about that again (they even have Portuguese citizenship, as their maternal grandfather was born there); so, when the idea/possibility of being part of NEARCON was presented to me, I saw this as a “signal” :sparkles:

So here’s a cost breakdown, having in mind a 10-day stay and using information I found by googling:

Nearcon Ticket
69N (around $306 USD when I started to write this, $251 when I’m posting, so lets say $275)

Flight costs
$1,750 São Paulo-Lisbon-São Paulo (Economy Class - Basic Package)

Flight costs change fast, so this is an average value calculating the lowest and highest prices I got for the above period on three flight prices sites: 123milhas.com, skyscanner.com.br and google.com/travel/flights. I took the average of each one, and then the average of these three values, obtaining 8.778+11.463+8.348 = 28.589 / 3 = R$ 9.529,66 = ~$1,733 USD

So, including check in and other flight taxes, the medium cost for flight tickets would be $1,750 USD.

On July, 24th

On July, 26th

Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 18.22.53

Hotel, Food and Transportation: $1050 USD ($105 per day)
I’ve used airbnb.com and budgetyourtrip.com plus other similar sites to have a more accurate idea.

TOTAL COSTS: $3075 USD

As you can see, prices changes fast, so it would better for all of us if we can have some celerity on this proposal evaluation. =)

Thanks for your attention and please feel free to ask any questions!

14 Likes

Conheci @bagadefente aqui na comunidade e venho acompanhando o seu interesse e trabalho desde o início. Antes de tudo sou fã. Já conversamos bastante e a troca de ideias sempre foi muito produtiva. @bagadefente terá sempre meu apoio aqui na comunidade por ser determinado e por realizar um trabalho profissional e com muita competência. Desejo toda a sorte do mundo para você! Ficarei aqui na torcida por mais esse voo!

3 Likes

Will be a pleasure have this project here during the NEARCON. I support it personally and the CUDO community too =)

2 Likes

Can you please explain why you’re asking for food and transportation 10 days?

1 Like

Nossa @bagadefente que legal, acho super importante você e Blua lá representante dos BRs.

2 Likes

Hi @Klint,

As the NEARCON website cites “September 10th - 17th NEARCON Week” (screenshot below), I understand that, besides the 3.5 days official schedule, there should be side events for people that came from distant places (like me and many others) to keep meeting, networking and creating stronger relationships.

Even there’s nothing like this, after flying almost 7500 km, I intend to take advantage of the conference days to schedule meetings with people I first met there, because I believe that this should be busy hurry days, right?

In other words, during the conference I’ll be more focused on my proposal (The BlockChat show) and being one of the Brazilian Creatives representatives; later on, after the conference, I intend to have more entrepreneur meetings, as I’m turning the studio/micro publisher I’m part of into a DAO inside the Near ecosystem and would like to know better and has more calm talkings to understand and exchange business ideas and experiences about this with people who are here longer.

To conclude, all this will be 7 days, plus 1-2 before to arrive and 1 to leave, then, 10 days. But if this is a problem, I’d be happy to have only 5 days funded (conference plus arrive and left), but this will also affect my plans to stay longer by my own means, as I won’t have ways to stay as I planned, having to change the return flight, what will probably affect it’s price (for a higher value). So, this change could, almost paradoxically, let this proposal more expensive having 5 than 10 days funded.

Hope this makes sense to you, but if not, let me know and I can give you other arguments =)

Thanks!

4 Likes

@macieira, agradeço suas palavras, apoio e ressalto que sem essas trocas o BlockChat talvez nem tivesse surgido — ao menos não dessa forma.

sem querer rasgar seda, saiba que a admiração é mútua e que é estimulante encontrar pessoas como você, entre tantas outras que venho conhecendo na Near, nesse processo de descobrir e juntos construirmos a web3!

sigamos em sintonia, para o infinito & além! :rocket: :sparkles: :rocket:

1 Like

I wish to be there to work closer with Baga :wink:

4 Likes

Regardless of the funding proposal in here, muti is happy to have a conversation with you about the DAO and how web3 tools are being used to blend the physical with the digital :slight_smile:

5 Likes

thanks for this, @tabear!

it will be a pleasure and an enriching experience talk to you.
hope this happens soon :crossed_fingers:t4: :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

hello @Klint and other @marketingdao-council members, is there any updates on this?

doesn’t mean to bother you, but as I had no further questions or feedback in almost a week — nowadays time runs very fast and I guess you all should be concerned about a number of other things — I thought it was nice to say hello :cowboy_hat_face:

I also want to take this opportunity to tag @David_NEAR and ask if you know any other way to request this kind of proposal, as I saw you writing something about a travel grant program or something like that.

thanks for you attention and I hope to hear from you soon
(with good news, if possible! :crossed_fingers:t4:)

1 Like

Hi @bagadefente – Thanks for the proposal. I would like to support you in being able to get to the conference and create your show content. A couple of things that will help me be able to support this proposal:

• Please include links to the channels where you publish your content as well as your social media channels used for marketing purposes so we can review those alongside the proposal.
  • We are getting a lot of requests for support to go to NEARCON, so we need to prioritize proposals that have clear metrics for success so we can track the outcome. What you are requesting here is essentially a travel stipend, but not funding for the production of the content itself. Can you update this to include the funding request for the content you will be creating and clearly outline the deliverables (ie how many shows, how much social content to market before, during and after the event)? No need to complicate or change what you have here, but we need to put it in clear bullets so it’s very obvious what you’re requesting we fund.
  • Do you have reports from previously funding proposals that you have shared on the Forum? If so, can you share as part of this proposal?
  • In terms of travel, I can support covering travel for the duration of the conference, but the MarketingDAO is not in the position to fund travel outside of those dates. We are simply getting too many requests to justify funding extended travels as part of proposals.
  • Note that the MarketingDAO cannot be responsible for fluctuations in costs (travel, NEAR, etc.). If you get approved, during the payout, you can request funds in stablecoin.
  • Note that it can take up to 5 weeks from time of a proposal posted on the Forum to payout after approval, so you will only want to proceed with this proposal if you can accommodate the reality of the timing that can take place given all the variables.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @so608, I thank you for reply me! :pray:t4:

I’ll try to answer all your question in an objective way, but please feel free to ask me something that is not clear or need more information, ok?

• Please include links to the channels where you publish your content as well as your social media channels used for marketing purposes so we can review those alongside the proposal.

I’m a more active user at Instagram, first on my personal profile than on NADA∴Studio Criativo, but I’m starting to use more Twitter, so I’ll leave all three here, plus my YouTube channel, where — besides The BlockChat episodes — you can get to know my audiovisual work in a lot of ways (commercial, documentaries, music videos, videoarts, etc.)

Instagram: bagadefente | NADA

Twitter: bagadefente

YouTube: NADA∴Studio Criativo

• We are getting a lot of requests for support to go to NEARCON, so we need to prioritize proposals that have clear metrics for success so we can track the outcome. What you are requesting here is essentially a travel stipend, but not funding for the production of the content itself. Can you update this to include the funding request for the content you will be creating and clearly outline the deliverables (ie how many shows, how much social content to market before, during and after the event)? No need to complicate or change what you have here, but we need to put it in clear bullets so it’s very obvious what you’re requesting we fund.

On this, I was thinking that having this 10-days food and stay funding would also cover my content creation work, that’s why I didn’t include anything else besides this, Nearcon and flight tickets. Here’s what I intend to delivery:

BEFORE
I’ll create and share social media content, (reels and stories on Instagram) with travel preparations, telling where I’m going and what I’m going to do there, more like a vlog content to create some buzz and curiosity about Nearcon on the Brazilian community. It will be something informal and spontaneous, so I can’t tell how many pieces I’ll produce.

DURING
Six special episodes from The BlockChat — as I told in the proposal, I’m calling it “special” because I won’t have the structure I currently use, like different layouts, cuts between them, image inserts, etc., it will be live raw talkings with people during Nearcon. The episodes should be between 10 and 30 minutes, changing according to guest availability.

I’m also intending to create and share social media content during the whole conference, focused on Portuguese speaking members of the Near ecosystem (once again on a spontaneous instagram way, so I can’t tell how many of it).

AFTER
A live BlockChat episode sharing my impressions and answer questions about my Nearcon experience. On this, I have two ideas, both involving @blusw: 1) if her proposal is approved, we can do an episode sharing our impressions and experiences, bringing two personal point of views to the Brazilian community; 2) if, unfortunately, she won’t able to be there, we can change places and, instead of being the host, i will be the guest on this BlockChat episode.

I’ll also write an article, in Portuguese, sharing my impressions about Nearcon, to be posted on Medium in a to-be-created NADA∴Studio Criativo publication, or in any other Near-related publication that wants to publish Portuguese content.

EXTRA
This isn’t related to content creation, but if there’s a space to it, I’d be pleasured to give a talk about the book we are publishing through Near Foundation funding. Our plan is to have the copies printed in time for the conference.

• Do you have reports from previously funding proposals that you have shared on the Forum? If so, can you share as part of this proposal?
  • In terms of travel, I can support covering travel for the duration of the conference, but the MarketingDAO is not in the position to fund travel outside of those dates. We are simply getting too many requests to justify funding extended travels as part of proposals.

As I told on the second answer, those extra days would work as a payout for the content creation (it doesn’t hurt to say that I’m not asking for funds from Creatives or any other DAO to do this proposal). That said, and being transparent, I see two scenarios:

1. I can add a 600 USD costs to cover my content creation works and use this to pay for those extra days; (1750 + 313 + 420 + 600= $3083 USD) — almost the same originally asked ($3075)
  2. Have only four days plus travel and ticket funded and find a way to stay a little longer.
    (1750 + 313 + 420 + 600= $2483 USD)

Values are: flight tickets + nearcon ticket value at time of writing + 4-day travel stipend

Of course the first one it’s better, both for practical reasons and for having my work valued, by I really wish to be part of Nearcon, so I’m willing to make it work anyway!

• Note that the MarketingDAO cannot be responsible for fluctuations in costs (travel, NEAR, etc.). If you get approved, during the payout, you can request funds in stablecoin.
  • Note that it can take up to 5 weeks from time of a proposal posted on the Forum to payout after approval, so you will only want to proceed with this proposal if you can accommodate the reality of the timing that can take place given all the variables.

I’m aware of this and the only downside I see it’s the payout process timing, because if it takes that long, the flight costs will probably be much higher and I won’t be able to buy the tickets.
Even having this approved and knowing that I received the funds, I don’t have the means to buy them in advance, so I’ll just have to thank you and accept that it wasn’t this time.

Hope I have all your questions answered, but if not, just tell me.

And once again, thanks!

3 Likes

This project MUST be! Hoping it gets approved.

1 Like

Hello, unfortunately, I cannot support your proposal.
More than half of the videos on your YouTube channel are not related to Near. Thanks.

1 Like

hello @Dacha,

• More than half of the videos on your YouTube channel are not related to Near. Thanks.

Are you seriously using only this as a criteria to evaluate and deny this proposal?

Did you manage to see that my channel was created 15 years ago and I’ve been inside the Near ecosystem for 6 months? So makes sense that only six of more than a thousand videos there are Near related, don’t you think?

Besides that, I never intended to be a YouTuber, influencer or something like that — I use that platform more like a video portfolio, because that was my main work area until a few years ago.
During the pandemic I started to do some lives there, I liked and, three months ago, I created a talk show to present Brazilian creatives inside the Near ecosystem (and, consequently, Near itself to people outside this bubble) and, having had only really nice feedbacks, I was stimulated by some members from this community to create this proposal.

I don’t mean to sound rude, but, after all the questioning, explanations and all that on this forum post, this answer seems to me, at least, lazy — not to say nonsense.

I perfectly understand that you’re getting a lot of requests and funding a Brazilian creatives representative it’s not you main preoccupation, but when I see really quickly (including same day without questioning or even community feedback) approvals for travel stipends, not to mention weird ones — at least to me, using the value of three stipends like mine to bring a beer truck instead of people to a conference is weird (and look, I love beer!), so all this makes me questioning how far this decentralization and transparency discourse goes without marked cards…

And just to let things clear, please don’t take this personally, right?
I still didn’t have the pleasure to meet or event talk to you, but I know you’re a very active, important and respected member here, so no offense intended! :peace_symbol:

I’m just bringing this points because, even knowing that the @marketingdao-council doesn’t have any obligation in approve this or any other projects that doesn’t make sense to you, I’m really disappointed — more with the “justification” than with the deny itself.

Thanks for you attention and my best wishes.

2 Likes

Yes, I usually support long-term, good-standing contributors and web3 -believes, Near adepts, who do their work for free for a while for Near Community and then request rewards.

For example, this guy has stated his contribution in December 2021. He created over 40 YouTube videos (spent his time and money), held over 30 AMAs with Games developers and NFT marketplaces, and eventually received a well-deserved award for his efforts.

1 Like

Thanks for you quick answer, @Dacha.

But do you agree that making videos is one (important) task/role, but not the only one? If everyone are focused on doing videos, some other (also important) things could be left undone.

And this may sound contradictory, because my main deliveries here are videos — but as a medium, not an end. And even I focused my arguments on Brazilian creatives community, you can see in the forum that I’m also an active user on the global writers community through the Writer’s Guild.

And, even knowing that Nearcon is a developer-focused event, I insist that having creatives representatives — if possible, from different cultures and countries — could not only make the overall experience richer, but is also a really interesting marketing strategy.

Just to finish, a long-term contribution takes time, so maybe we meet each other on the 2023 Nearcon :wink:

3 Likes

Hello. GM. It seems very unfair to compare a project that has been going on since December21 with another that has been in existence for 3 months22. As a member of the Brazilian community I am shocked by the unwillingness to welcome one of the people more interesting and involved in our community to represent Brazil and bring back to those who stay here the news of Nearcon in our own way. This Brazilian way that many people here in Nearverse does not know and increasingly seems to have little interest in knowing. And yes, strange, anyone who follows the approved proposals and the denials of this incentive to go to the convention can see a huge discrepancy in the evaluation criteria. Yes, I’m getting into where I wasn’t called, but you know? With all due respect, that can’t be right.

1 Like