Crowdsourced Translations in the NEAR Ecosystem

Hi David

I love the notion of crowdsourcing translations. In fact, I have been contemplating this for my children’s books.

It would be very helpful to see the NEAR wallet and the AstroDAO interface translated into Spanish. I see that we have Portuguese and Turkish, etc which is great.

I think we can crowdsource but it needs final approval by professional translator.

Crowdin is awesome solution.

Open poll of candidates with proven experience in crypto, and at least, bachelor degree.

Hope you can have an idea of Crowdin final results, and I say Idea, because just when you speak another language you can identify mistakes no only in grammar, but technical language.
Indeed, Translations should be under human supervision to avoid such problems already exposed.
To prevent double work is not that issue. Just a control spreadsheet helps to verify what is done.
Also by working teams: Translator, proofreading and admins is the best way to guarantee high quality. There are already experienced translators in NEAR Ecosystem, so just a call with proven experience in crypto as @Dacha proposes will work.
It is sad to read all this, it’s like all the power is just in one person in a non-hierarchical organization. I wonder other’s leaders opinion about bringing the opportunity to non English speakers to have information in their own languages.

3 Likes

The importance of the interaction in the forum through the projection of information in our social networks will be what gives more confidence and importance to projects and ideas in the future, here I leave the publications of @nearcircle :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Lots of good ideas! I think at the end some coordination needs to be done, in particular with specific terms to be translated always the same way.

Why not “outsource” the coordination to Guilds doing translations, give them a sample text to translate and let community decide if it’s “approved” and good, as some sort of test trial. If community approves they can go ahead and translate the rest.
If someone wants to join the Guild, can do so as well…

Further there should be some coordination on which texts to translate first in any language, otherwise we will have different parts translated in each language.

2 Likes

It’s something I’d be open to but I would still err on the side of caution, in light of the fact that these translations will be hosted on near.org. Maybe a professional translation company would still be pulled in to verify - or, ideally, we have pro translators in the community? :eyes:

We are here @David_NEAR

2 Likes

I chose not to answer, because that question seemed rude to me:

My translations seem to me more than perfect.
Mintbase actualizó 544 contratos NFT

As are yours (@Alecaseg ).
Comment créer votre portefeuille NEAR

Nacho’s (@nacho.near ).
DeFi en Protocolo NEAR: Un Tour por los DEXs

Luis’ (@LuisAponte99 ).
NEAR lanza el programa de formación de 1.000 profesores

Or, if @David_NEAR can tell me otherwise about my translations, or any of yours translations, I’ll stop translating right away.

We do not do these posts for pleasure, or because we have plenty of time to explain the same thing again and again.

We are pushing to do these translations, because they are important for getting even more people into NEAR.

Every day that we are not given the opportunity to start, there are people who try to find this information in Spanish, or some other language, and who give up.

So I repeat what I already said:

We can ask for a quantity to start and DEMONSTRATE (again, because we have proved already) our capabilities, maybe 4,950 USD and pay as I already said:

(4,950 USD / 0.06 = 82,500 words / 5 languages = 16.5k words per language)

Please everyone vote for the preferred option:

• NEAR Translators Guild
  • CrowdIn
  • Other Option (Please Comment)
  • Keep all information as it is now.
  • Extend this conversation asking for more opinions but without taking them into account for another month.

0 voters

7 Likes

Completamente de acuerdo con tu exposición… Otros miembros del equipo se sumarán y votarán.

6 Likes

Hello colleagues I have already left my vote, hopefully this can move forward there is a lot to work, greetings.

4 Likes

What would qualify as pro translators in the community?

Translators who had already worked in different projects inside and/or outside of Near (as translation projects in Fiverr, Crowdin or other freelance platforms) who already proven themselves to give results of high quality, and who are even on the Crypto scene from a long time ago?

Or translators who just have a piece of paper validating them, which have mostly no knowledge of the crypto ecosystem whatsoever?

It is okay to choose to have both, but it will be as close as finding a needle in a haystack.

And I don’t think that with what the crypto ecosystem represents, it should be just determined to people with degrees.
Since they can underperform in a huge way compared to people in the scene who have lived other experiences and know the ropes already.

Dividing high quality collaborators from people whose expertise is determined by establishments who do not fully prepare its prospects, is just saying all of their experience is useless.
A shame to see that.

Sorry to be so direct with my opinion, hopefully that gives it more value, since I’m not a “pro translator” in the community.

3 Likes

vote casted! thank @jeph for your professionalism and leadership.
I hope this situation ends up with a fortified translator guild and a lot of translated content for NF!

3 Likes

Nobody has ever said this should be the case?

Again, this was never said.

I’m not in a position to determine the quality of translations. Hence the need for a professional. As the old trope goes in the blockchain world, “don’t trust, verify”.

I have never mentioned pay in this post, nor am I in a position to help facilitate this atm. I’m sure your translations are more than perfect, but when we’re working with near.org and, arguably, the most public-facing documents in the ecosystem, I would have more confidence to push it live once translations have been checked, double-checked, and triple-checked.

Whether that’s a professional translating agency doing that, or it’s multiple checks through the Community, is yet to be determined.

1 Like

Hey, @cizi31 and @cryptoheitzi please cast your vote as well. :raised_hands:

5 Likes

Definitivamente es correcta tu exposición Juan, totalmente de acuerdo

3 Likes

Then… I ask again…

1 Like

Someone who does this for a job and not just part of their community efforts within the NEAR Ecosytem.

Ideally, a professional translating agency so we have a guarantee of the quality of their work and recourse if the work is not up to scratch.

Hence:

PSA:

This thread, and my opinions, are not aimed at:

• Denying anyone an opportunity to earn rewards for translation contributions in the NEAR Ecosystem
  • Throttling the creation and growth of a translation Guild
  • Definitive and concrete ways of moving forward with translations

I get that there are individuals in the Community who want the opportunity to earn with this but my POV is from what is best for the NEAR Foundation and its most public documentation, namely the website.

1 Like