[Declined] Starting a Flow Near Treats and Drinks

I’ve been reading through this thread, and while it is clear that the council has (or plans to) declined this proposal at this stage, I wanted to offer feedback in case it is helpful in the future for anyone who is reading this.

I think one thing that is happening with many proposals that I am reading is laying out a budget that combines regular operational expenses, infrastructure/equipment expenses/capital improvements and marketing/branding activities. The Marketing DAO exists to fund community marketing activities.

While it is true that, to function well, most business initiatives will need funding for each of those areas, those funds can’t come from a single source like the Marketing DAO.

From a marketing perspective specifically, what gives me confidence is seeing not only the great, creative ideas, but also very clear details on how the proposer plans to execute the marketing activity, how the activity will be tracked, how the activity will be reported and what metric exists for activity so it’s possible to gauge performance.

For example, if someone has a goal of increasing awareness of the Near protocol and growing an audience, I think it would be helpful to see:

• A member of our team will engage and post 3X daily on [whatever platform]
  • We will submit a monthly analytics report that shows activity.
  • Initially, our goal will be to [e.g. increase follower count, increase impressions, increase number of people on a Discord…what is the specific action you want people to take].
  • We are starting with [number of followers, members, sign-ups, impressions].
  • In our first month, we seek to grow this by [specific number, percentage].

This is probably TLDR so I will include in future posts, but tying the numbers to things is what makes success more possible to achieve. For example, a fairly standard metric in email marketing is for ~1.5-2% of an email list to convert to a sale. So if you have a list size of 1K engaged people, then you can bet about 15-20 will buy from you if you promote something to them. If you want to increase your sales to 30-40, you know that it’s necessary to double your list size. And that will allow you to focus your marketing activities on what matters most for any given outcome.

Again, offering these thoughts more generally and not exclusively to this proposal.

4 Likes