[APPROVED] Take Over the r/Ethtrader Banner

Proposal: Take Over the r/ethtrader Banner

Background

r/ethtrader is a crypto-focused Subreddit with 1.5m+ subscribers and considerably more users who are not subscribed.

Within the subreddit is a banner that runs along the top of the subreddit page on both web and mobile.

This banner is a rentable space.

Bidders can purchase DONUTs, the native token of r/ethtrader, and use these to rent the digital real estate that is the banner along the top of the r/ethtrader subreddit.

According to subredditstats, r/ethtrader is the 323rd largest Subreddit by subscriber count and the 145th largest by comment count as of 9th of August, 2021.

This proposal is a trial run. An effort to assess the impact of the r/ethtrader banner, with a general goal of increasing traffic to r/nearprotocol

More details on how the r/ethtrader banner functions here.

Proposal Details

Funding Scheme:

One-time payment

Expected impact and value you foresee for the NEAR ecosystem / community

Growth in both subscriber count and engagement in the r/nearprotocol subreddit. In comparison to the Discord and Telegram channels, the NEAR Subreddit lags in terms of user count with a subscriber count of 1,311 as of 9th of August, 2021.

How will you measure its impact and success?

Assess engagement and subscriber growth on r/nearprotocol using subredditstats

Aside from you, how many people do you foresee to being involved?

The NEAR Design Guild and the wonderful @alanborger have already created the wonderful NEAR banner to be used below - this is the one which will sit atop r/ethrader (any other suggestions are welcomed!)

Estimated timeline and milestones to be achieved

Recommend running this trial for a minimum of 2 weeks (14 days) with the option to extend if it’s performing well.

Milestones may include a notable (10%+) rise in subscribers to r/nearprotocol

Links to similar, previously funded forum proposals (if applicable)

N/A for MarketingDAO Vertical at this time (feel free to point me to others from other DAOs if I’ve missed anything!)

Total requested amount in USD and NEAR (price based at the time of posting)

3000 USD/ 1,102 NEAR

This covers the cost of:

• 100,000 DONUTs for the banner purchase

• The 10% tax in DONUTs (10,000 DONUTs) per day as per the Harberger Tax system implemented with the r/ethtrader banner

• Gas fees on the Ethereum network

Current DONUT price = 0.009194

Note: Any unused funds after the 14 days will be re-converted to NEAR and sent back to the MarketingDAO. I’ll endeavor to ensure all of this can be tracked transparently on-chain.

NEAR wallet ID

davidmo.near

Wallet owner’s Name

David Morrison

Happy to set up an alternative NEAR wallet for this process if that’s the best practice.

3 Likes

I :100: support this! We definitely need more traction on Reddit. Maybe we can work with Reddit Ops and supplement this with posts to introduce ourselves to the forum as well?

1 Like

We could reach out to the mods with an AMA proposal, I’ll need to check the rules. Would be great to get some of the senior team on there.

Can’t seem to find any rules directly opposing AMAs on r/ethtrader - messaged the mods just to be sure. Will update ASAP

Hey David, you can file your request through the DAO Vertical :slight_smile:

NEAR price has moved, 600N should suffice

This is submitted

I will abstain from this vote

Update:

The cost of the banner has doubled to 200,000 DONUTS

I have a suspicion that the current banner will be surrendered by the owner soon, since it’s related to a time-sensitive promo. I’ll continue to review this to find the best time to take it over.

Audit trail

This wallet received the wETH from Rainbow Bridge. That wETH was obtained by converting 600 NEAR to wETH on Ref.finance

The initial deposit of ETH came from **my personal funds on **Kraken. I deposited 0.3 ETH to obfuscate a personal address and received 0.29213 ETH after fees. I’ll be returning 0.3 ETH (plus fees) to my personal account via Kraken at the end of this initiative.

1 Like

We are live! :tada:

You can check it out in all its glory here.

We’ve paid the tax for 7 days, but there’s still a chance that this could be taken from us if someone buys it.

This came in over budget too, so I will need to submit a funding request for the reimbursement of part of the 0.3 ETH I contributed for gas fees.

Let’s see how it goes!

Current Reddit Subscriber Count: 2,534

OMG I was browsing reddit today looking for new posts and saw this. I even made a screenshot! Great initiative! Very creative :grinning:

1 Like

PS: I head the reddit direction in Degen Army, I can search for similar subreddits if you want. I also have an idea to create a “Signature Bounty” for high-ranking users of the BitcoinTalk forum. I can state my idea in PM if you are interested :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Awesome!

That’d be neat, for sure. Maybe something to confer with the Reddit Ops team on :tada:

Signature bounty would be sweet :100:

1 Like

Here is result [Report] Take Over the r/ethtrader Banner

1 Like