[APPROVED] AI vs Human - Generative Chess Music/Art Project

The “AI vs Human” Symphony

This is a collaborative project to produce a generative music soundtrack from the 1996 & 1997 series of six game chess matches between the IBM supercomputer Deep Blue and reigning world champion Garry Kasparov.

Stage 1: 10 NEAR
Outline the methodology for generating rhythm and pitch from a series of chess moves.
This will take the form of a document detailing how the elements of the soundtrack will be auto-generated from the gameplay using a set of pre-determined rules.

Stage 2: 20 NEAR
Produce a prototype soundtrack generated using the recorded moves from Game 6 of the 1997 rematch between Deep Blue and Kasparov. Game 6 is the shortest game - 20 moves - and was the ultimately deciding game following Kasparov’s resignation.
At this stage the soundtrack would be a simple piano version from Sibelius.

Stage 3. 30 NEAR
Produce an MP4 of the Game 6 music and gameplay, synching the music and game moves together.
At this stage, the visual aspect of the video will be rendered using simple chess gameplay software. The music will be an enhanced synthesizer version of the soundtrack produced in a DAW. (Ableton).

Stage 4. - 40 NEAR
Production of the final version of the Game 6 video for minting as an NFT on Mintbase featuring both music and visual representations.
The visual aspect will be an enhanced artistic recreation of the gameplay, with the finished soundtrack acting as graphic score in reverse.
The soundtrack itself will be minted as an audio NFT on Mintbase.
Stills from the video will be minted as separate NFTs. on Mintbase.

Extensions:

If the project is successful, the plan would be to recreate all 12 games from the Deep Blue vs Kasparov matches using the same methodology, and to release them all as NFT’s on Mintbase.

5 Likes

This project has been approved. Please add to this thread as needed with project progress and use this thread link in each payout proposal you make to the Createbase SputnikDAO.

1 Like

I have moved this proposal from the Createbase - NEAR Forum Category to the NxM category

1 Like

Wow. Cutting edge concept! Can’t wait.

2 Likes

Hi Thanks for that. The methodology has been worked out, and it’ll be interesting to see what it produces on its own!

2 Likes

The musical and chess brain behind this project is @FQMusic who is a jazz musician / arranger / band leader… and chess player…living in Leeds.

First phase will be uploaded mid-week.

2 Likes

Ok, here is the Part One / Methodology document [attached].
Feel free to comment…
thnx

AI vs HUMAN - Part One.pdf (34.3 KB)

2 Likes

This just seems so interesting! And makes me want to play a match of chess. Also, makes me want to mint whatever NFT comes of the match, win or lose, and that seems really fun to me.

2 Likes

Hey Chloe.
Well…the principle definitely works…as we have the data in sibelius now and it has output some music.
thnx
D

2 Likes

Part 2: We plotted all the data for each piece moved during the game, transcribed it and imported it into Sibelius to create a piano version of the music.
it came out nicely, and with a bit of thinking about instrumentation / arrangement…we might have something pretty nice here…
can’t attach it as an MP3 or WAV…will have a think where to post it and link back

2 Likes

Ok, i’ve put it up on my site:

AI vs HUMAN SYMPHONY - FQMUSIC

2 Likes

Part 3…incoming!

1 Like

Ok, so Part 3 has been completed…and we have a video that combines the chess moves on a simulator with a synthesizer track.
I’m going to upload it to youtube, then embed it on the same page as the music [above].

1 Like

PART Three has just been uploaded to YouTube, and the page on my site:

Listen in stereo if you can !

3 Likes

Ok, so here it is: PART 4 - The first release of Chess Music with added 8-Bit Video Game visuals to juxtapose the AI future with the past…

Minted on Mintbase

1 Like

Actually, looks like im going to have to rejig it a bit again…as the first frame is black…and that’s how it shows up on MB…

1 Like

Done - Here is the new mint and link to it

will edit the one above too:

2 Likes

I will submit the Part 4 proposal to the DAO over the weekend if that’s ok…

1 Like

:heart_eyes: so cool! Love how the finished product turned out!

1 Like

thnx Chloe - yeah think we will definitely do more…