Update on the Kenya Hub

At the NEAR Foundation, we’ve always been dedicated to fostering the growth and development of a decentralized NEAR ecosystem worldwide. We are constantly looking for ways to expand the ecosystem into new regions, particularly those with significant growth potential. The regional hubs have played a crucial role in this journey. NEAR Kenya, as one of these hubs, has helped drive innovation and blockchain adoption in the region. But, after evaluating our hub strategy moving forward the NEAR Foundation has taken the hard decision to halt the funding for the current Kenya hub in order to explore other opportunities in the region.

We recognize and appreciate the work NEAR Kenya has done in the region. It has made a number of important contributions to the NEAR ecosystem, from showcasing NEAR and its potential to university students across Kenya to winning various awards within the wider African communities.

This decision should not be seen as a lack of commitment to Kenya or the broader region. In fact, our deep belief in the immense opportunities that lie ahead for Web3 in Africa is what is driving this decision. We want to ensure that we have the right teams and structures in place to make a powerful, lasting impact in Kenya and beyond. The NEAR Foundation has made significant strides in empowering developers and entrepreneurs across various industries, and we are excited to expand our focus to maximize the impact we can make in Africa.The rise of Web3 and crypto presents a unique opportunity to empower individuals, foster financial inclusion, and drive sustainable development across the continent.

If you’re interested in helping the NEAR Foundation shape its strategy for fostering the growth and development of the NEAR ecosystem in Africa, we would love to hear from you. We’ve recently onboarded our International Community Expansion Lead- @Railili . Please drop her a message with any ideas and thoughts, or email raili.liiva[at]near[dot]foundation.

12 Likes

Thank you @shreyas for sharing this update about the NEAR Foundation’s decision regarding the NEAR Kenya hub, which is a regional hub for Africa. While it may be disappointing for the current hub, We are happy to hear that the NEAR Foundation remains committed to the growth and development of the NEAR ecosystem in Africa and is sharing the opportunity to collaborate with the new International Community Expansion lead and contribute to the NEAR Foundation’s strategy for fostering the growth and development of the NEAR ecosystem in Africa.

We look forward to reaching out to @Railili. Together, we can explore innovative approaches, identify strategic opportunities, and contribute to the growth of the NEAR ecosystem in Africa. Let’s work together to make a lasting impact and empower communities across Africa. It has just begun.

4 Likes

While the decision on the Kenya Hub is disappointing to hear, it is great to see Near Foundation still sees how important the African Continent is to the continued growth of Near ecosystem

Can’t wait to start exploring this collaborative and strategic process with @Railili and other Africans on the Near ecosystem

3 Likes

Definitely, @Ola and @Bakaka, I’m looking forward to collaborating with you all and learning more about our ecosystem and presence across Africa, what’s worked, what hasn’t, as well as the work you’ve all been doing. Feel free to reach out to me anytime with your thoughts, ideas and questions!

6 Likes

This is disappointing, however, it is good to still see that the NEAR Foundation is still interested in the growth of NEAR in Africa.

It’s great to have @Railili onboard to support as we build NEAR in Africa and beyond.

As said by @Ola and @Bakaka, it will be great to have a sync as we measure what quality is.

1 Like

Sure thing @IgbozeIsrael! As emphasized by Shreyas, the potential in Africa is truly remarkable, and I’m really looking forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas on this. Are you already involved in the call set up by @Bakaka? If yes, let’s sync on the call. Otherwise, please share your email, so I can add you on there.

1 Like

Hello!
Thanks for the response. @Bakaka and I are in sync in the Regional Community Working Group. I will be on the call.

1 Like

I’ll write you @Railili ! We are interested to talk more about Open Web Academy. cc @irvingcong

2 Likes

hello @Railili
Nice to meet you, here Irving from Mexico building for NEAR in Latam. I hope we meet soon :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Sounds great @cloudmex-alan - I’m looking forward to this discussion!

Likewise, @irvingcong I am happy to connect to gain further insights into the Open Web Academy and your contributions in the Latin American region. Let’s set up a call to discuss this further.

1 Like