THIS IS A DRAFT AND WILL BE CHANGED AS PER CONSTRUCTIVE COMMUNITY FEEDBACK.
Given the urgency to deliver a structure for funding to begin, while ensuring sustainability of the DAOs and bringing the best talent on NEAR, this was the best I could come up with in the given time.
Please know that this is a draft, and your inputs and suggestions will make it complete. We can go ahead with this structure, take elements from it to make a new structure or completely reject this as a proposition.
My request is for you to provide the reasoning and a suggestion to move forward so we can build this together.
I urge you to look at this as something that can help fund meaningful projects in a more organised, open and supportive manner, like how a community should be, even when we are not a part of NEAR or when the funding exhausts.
I hope you find value in this.
How to suggest change for any section
- Find a topic or a section you want to change.
- Share the changes via comments
- For example - You don’t like the name of the new DAO suggested. ArtTechNationDao
- Comment - I don’t like the name and would rather have it remain as Creatives DAO
- Community can vote by liking your comment showing their belief in your change.
- If someone wants to add to your point they can “quote” it and add changes again and the community can vote to show support.
- If we don’t have at least 15 votes no point changing something. (We can revise vote approval number to 10 or to 20 as per community decision)
The Metamorphosis of Creatives DAO: The ArtTechNation DAO
In 2021 the Creatives and Marketing DAOs were born with a goal to spread NEAR tokens and build a community by helping enthusiasts get their activities funded CreativesDAO and MarketingDAO.
Communities from around the world came forward to build this dream of a truly decentralised community pioneering a cross section of tech, art and communities in the blockchain space.
In the span of a year and a half, Creatives DAO has:
- Created the biggest DAO ecosystem in the entire blockchain space funding creative projects from around the world
- Communities from over 40+ countries that have participated in our funding helping to make NEAR a known name amongst creatives
- Created 2 versions of decentralised voting mechanisms where council leadership of the Creatives DAO was given to the DAOs participating in the growth of the community instead of individual leadership
- 80 DAOs with over 1200 members which use an average of 4-6 Dapps, increasing internal interaction between communities and Dapps
- Impacted lives for good by community building activities all over the world.
We have so many communities and DAOs that have been created, however we need a new system and incentive structure to tease out the amazing, market-ready arts and innovation projects that can help sustain those doing great work in the DAO ecosystem.
NOTE: Even though this experiment brought a lot of value to the NEAR ecosystem, and communities around the world successfully learned about web3, we have identified many issues and see a need for another round of iteration.
Factors that demand a change in how we function:
- Change in the macro environment and the recent beginning of a bear market and global recession
- Lack of sustainability model for Creatives DAO as an entity, which puts meaningful projects getting funded in jeopardy in case NF funding stops
- Lots of existing communities and projects lack a plan for getting financially sustainable, which makes us completely dependent on NF funds
- No presence of CreativesDAO outside the network of NEAR as an entity supporting art and innovation.
- Total amount spent on building the community has been 1,560,834 USD with less than 5% projects possessing a long term vision, roadmap, community and a team to build something sustainable.
A few problems with current model:
- DAOs forming a cartel and voting for each other. It will be an issue when a majority is formed as they can keep voting for themselves to get funded.
- Funding being given on a monthly basis can create dependency on NF and censure of funds can leave a community feeling unhappy at the least and aggressive at the worst.
- Proposal creation and reporting has not been given a structure.
Solutions for a better DAO:
We have come to a point where Creatives DAO is ready to become something it has been evolving into since the beginning by the use of art, tech and innovation. It’s time for a metamorphosis; it’s time to turn into ARTtechNation DAO
- Generating value for NEAR in a more streamlined way:
Support, educate and market the existing ecosystem of 80+ DAOs associated with Creatives’
Helping reach the goal of onboarding millions of users in the five years
Helping popular artists build on near and use NEAR dapps
Help creators build projects that will fuel and support community growth
Promote NEAR as a blockchain that supports innovation and diversity
Inspired by Blue Ocean Strategy (a new market creation strategy) which focuses on finding new oceans to explore instead of fighting in a small ocean with many fish, this approach has been put together to create our own value and leverage through a hybrid model of art, tech and business.
We are also not creating a space for artists/creative DAOS already outside NEAR
We need a new sense of value and collaboration to expand and grow our amazing space
We need a better process to keep and attract the best creative people and Web3 products in the world
What is missing is a business-based approach that can glue everything together and ensure financial sustainability and internal cohesion of communities.
We need to get business development and marketing members into alignment with the existing community.
- There are opportunities we missed and this next step is a way to bridge the gap between enthusiasts and professional commercial projects. We CAN grow, we just need to structure that is collaborative, with a business savvy team.
We also need to redefine our funding model as there are many logistical issues with it. We should instead go for a quarterly funding plan
The model proposed below will be LESS than Creatives DAO spends annually now and will save NF 25% from what it is spending now (currently 1.5+ Million USD has been spent on the creative ecosystem in the past 9 months, this proposal looks to STOP any excessive funding, while streaming and giving focus to our goals)
At the end of the day, ARTtechNation DAO will be both a granting organization, a talent scout, and will bring ROI back into the ecosystem with investment form VCs, NGOs, Corporate sponsors etc. This is an emergent model and validates your investment, as well as make us a better player with NF.
A quarterly milestone based funding plan allows for:
- Recipient DAOs to have a reasonable time, and space the workload out to help them focus on delivering quality results as recipients don’t have to create monthly proposals and reports.
- Gives us time to create better tools e.g. an open dashboard to view all DAO reports
- Helps create marketing activities like DAO interviews, workshops for creative workshops around area that the community might be facing problems.
What we can achieve:
- Support the existing DAO ecosystem and purpose-based Web3 communities that would want to join the NEAR ecosystem.
- Onboard Web3 and Web2, tier 1 and tier 2 artists in developing Web Nations
- Invest in creative infrastructure projects which are market researched and VC funding ready, with a clear roadmap and business plan.
What The ARTtechNation DAO provides:
- To DAO ecosystem - Supporting a milestone based ecosystem through funds allocated to make the web3 community sustainable and help in getting grants from NF if the community later needs to grow larger. Early entries in creative projects, tokens and NFTs web3 and web2 artists.
Sheet created by Pawel and William
- To Web3 and web2 artists - Creating an onchain minimum viable community for them by milestone based funding that will be web3 ready. Access to a web3 ready multi national creative community (DAO ecosystem)
Milestone based funding tiers (Inputs from community needed)
- To Creative infrastructure projects - Milestone based funding and a list of VCs who could potentially invest in their projects. A huge creative community (DAO Ecosystem) that can help support and test the product or service for a feasible value prop.
Metrics to evaluate Creative web3 projects (Inputs from community needed)
Tech requirements to get this running:
- Create an ARTtechNation DAO DApp with database dashboard functionality showcasing the progress of the milestones to store all information about projects, DAOs, products, and other critical info to make it easily accessible by community
- NEAR and ARTtechNation DAO branding on every event and poster to grow brand awareness
- Mods must change annually
- ARTtechNation DAO will be an active player within NEARCON to ensure global visibilities
Core ARTtechNation DAO Team:
- Mod team - 7 members (all regions of the world represented, gender equal, professional experience mandated, have IRL/Web3 experience funding arts, tech and entertainment)
- Business Development team - 2 members (both MUST have IRL/Web3 experience with fund raising IRL, entertainment experience a plus, can write deal sheets and identify new markets)
- Marketing team - 1 member (must have IRL marketing experience in art and tech)
Responsibilities of ARTtechNation DAO Mods team
- Proposal review by upcoming web3 communities
- Host community calls, AMAs, collaborative community discourse
- Monthly newsletter about the happenings in the governance forum, important announcements and updates
- Active collaboration with the marketing team to do commercial level marketing and PR
- Onboarded tier 1 and tier 2 artist in all regions with phase 1 to phase 3 growth
Responsibilities of Business Development Team: Cross expertise (tech, entertainment, arts)
- Actively searching for projects via events and direct outreach for amazing projects and people
- Engaging VCs and creating a list of creative inverstors who are looking to invest in creative projects that can become products and services.
- Find projects and services which are market researched and potentially would be a good match for investors, corporate sponsors, NGOs and VCs to fund it
- Provide funding and support to various web3 entities to grow on NEAR based on the clear Tier system created for funding.
- Getting projects ready to get funded by the likes of Sequoia investment and Big Brain etc.
Responsibilities of Marketing team
- Case study development of ALL projects that are funded, as well as manage the database with their innovation, creative and tech metrics
- Create strategic marketing plans and campaigns to attract tier 1-2 artists IRL and in Web3
- Social media content strategy and execution
- Weekly twitter spaces AMA calling web3 natives from outside NEAR ecosystem for better education of the community.
- Plan and execution of IRL events in partnership with various media channels, DAOs and .io partners
- Running polls to understand what the community needs for resources and education
- Plan in-house workshops for education the internal DAO ecosystem on various topics
New funding model for ARTtechNation DAO: 2022-2023
250k - Allotted towards recipient DAOs
125k - Tier 1 and tier 2 artists from developing nations that are currently doing remarkable work
125k - Web 3 projects that ARTtechNation DAO will own equity in through on-chain smart contracts and DAO
50k - Marketing and PR of associated projects
Total: 550kUSD per 4 months (3 quarters annually)
(This is LESS than Creatives DAO spends now and will save NF 25%)