[Proposal] Funding proposal for NEAR Samurai DAO (NEAR Japan Community)

Total monthly fund : $4900

Purpose:
Create Grow NEAR Developer and Investor Community in Japan
Introduction post. : NEAR Samurai DAO : Guild Introduction Post

Measured by:

• Non dev community- Number of people actively engaging in NEAR Japan community channels, number of active onchain accounts?
    • No. of proposals for projects coming in
    • No. of active onchain accounts
    • No. of voting events
    • No. of active messages per month in community
  • Dev community- Number of NCD devs, number of apps deployed on mainnet etc.
    • No. of git pulls / clones
    • No. of NCD sign ups
    • No. of technical support messages (in dev support channel)

Target for 1st month:

1. Sign up additional 50+ members in NEAR Japan telegram or discord, additional 100+ members in NEAR Japan twitter
  2. Conduct at least 1 event per month with 50 people each
  3. Identify and support at least 1 product builders for building on NEAR

Target for 2nd month:

1. Sign up additional 50+ members in NEAR Japan telegram or discord, additional 100+ members in NEAR Japan twitter
  3. Conduct at least 1 hackathon (potentially with 1 big accelerator / incubation group)
  4. Identify and support at least 1 product builders for building on NEAR

Target for 3rd month:

3. Conduct at least 1 hackathon (potentially with 1 big accelerator / incubation group)

Target for 4th month:

Activities:

1. Organize Events, Workshops, AMAs, Hackathons
  2. Create translated content for developers and media

Cost Factors:

1. Space for conducting events
  2. Event budget (hackathon / seminar / workshop)
  3. Monthly cost for Community Management Support person
  4. Operational & management cost per month
3 Likes

Thanks for putting this together, @sidpillai91. For some context for the other council members of the community squad dao, Fracton team are partners for the NEAR India accelerator. For the first workshop introducing NEAR to the japanese community with @9dai5 , @gyan0890, we had around ~45+ participants and a good amount of interest.

I’d love to see how we can support the creation of the Japanese community. I understand that we’re still experimenting in Japan and the plans might change after the first month based on the interest from the community, so the exact details of month 2 onwards, might change, but specifically for the first month-

Should we also add and target the same for a new NEAR Japan twitter account? I feel like public social media accounts add a lot of visibility and over time, can attract a lot of people to your community- journey from being a twitter follower to an actively contributing community member.

Do we have more details around what would be the theme of this event? Is it a general introduction to NEAR? Would this be online or offline for the first month?

Would to get other council members to review this.

2 Likes

@shreyas Yes, I think including the twitter targets also in the same makes sense as we already have a known set of users to move from the previously inactive NEAR Protocol JP account to the new one. I am updating the targets to include twitter member targets as well.

As we have already done one general introduction to NEAR (https://near-japan.connpass.com/), we would like to go a bit more deeper and probably focus on topics such as Aurora and developer incentives in the smart contract etc. We are still planning this part out with @Naokiakazawa but are open to suggestions from the community on what could be a potentially good next topic to cover.

But we will also try and make sure that in every event we have a quick overall introduction to NEAR and where to find out more about it in general.

1 Like

Sounds good to me! Thanks, Sid!

1 Like

Looks really exciting! Would be great to see some more about the intended audience for your initial events - are you planning on targeting junior devs in particular to start or are you planning to appeal to a wider audience? What kind of connections does Fracton have in Japan to assist with these community-building endeavours, and where in the country are they and the team based?

@mecsbecs Hello Rebecca, the intended audience for the initial events will be mainly developers especially the ones who have already have had some exposure working on Web3.0 and Blockchain projects. We believe that the uptake would be faster that way and possibly be able to quickly find potential developers who can further champion the cause for development on NEAR and engagement among developers in Japan along with Fracton Ventures.

Also, separate to this we are working with the Education team at NEAR to promote the Near Certified Developer program and trying to engage university students and junior developers new to the Web3.0 space and I think both these programs will feed into each other.

As for the connections part, our team comes from startup and Web3.0 investment, acceleration and education space in Japan. We have worked with several accelerators, incubators and investment groups for more than the past 8 years. We have members who have created Web3.0 education programs and organized several developer focused events.
Other than this we also work very closely with regulators in Japan and our legal counsel is also advisor to the cryptocurrency exchange regulatory body in Japan and one of the most highly trusted groups for B2B projects in Japan as well.

The team is based out Tokyo, Japan (except for me, I am in Bangalore at the moment)

https://twitter.com/9dai_5
https://twitter.com/tolehico

1 Like

Hello everyone, as there do not seem to be any further questions at the moment we are pushing forward to submitting to the dao for funding of 4900 USD at the current CoinMarketCap price value of approximately $10 USD ($10.03 to be exact)

1 Like