NDC COMMUNITY PULSE
March 8, 2023
Every Wednesday I provide a weekly snapshot about what we are hearing and learning in GWG (Governance Working Group) about the NEAR Digital Collective (NDC) for the entire community. This will NOT be a comprehensive, deep dive into everything that is happening, but insights, ideas, and questions for the entire community for a quick update.
Snapshot of how to learn more and get involved:
Tuesday: Community Call to Learn What’s Happening in the NDC
Wednesday: This Community Pulse goes live
Thursday: Live Polls from the GWG goes live
Friday: Matt’s Friday Reflections goes live
EthDenver was this past week and from the sounds of it it was a blast. For the GWG, we were able to test our I AM HUMAN technology for strategic use for the NDC, as well as have over 50 conversations with people about how we all are the NDC. Key things we did and learned include:
- The Speed of the NDC is OK. It’s going to take time
- A clearer funding request process for Grassroots DAOs is needed
- We are continuing to clarify that our role is temporary (GWG) and that the NDC really is everyone
- We have been asked to develop a workshop session with validators and investors to collaborate on the NDC development and constitution
HERE is the presentation for your review. ETH Denver - NDC - Google Slides
2. Upcoming Town Halls “Power of Collaboration: How the Community Treasury Is a Fresh Start”
Our first of 2 Town Halls (via Twitter) will be on March 27th (3pm CTE)
These Town Halls are a 60 min call to learn more about the community treasury, how it can be a positive new start for the community, and to review the new proposal for Community Conduct to support collaboration.
3. Key learnings from Active Listening to the Governance DAOs
As we’ve been sharing here, in V0 of the NDC we will have three DAOs that will take proposals and award funds: Developer DAO, Marketing DAO, Creatives DAO.
To that end, we’ve been listening to and working with two of those three (Marketing and Creatives) to support their development of a charter, Legal Wrapping, and the future of their DAOs in the context of self-governance.
Here are the key points we learned or questions we hear need exploration:
- Every grassroots DAO should have a term, election, and removal process for the council
- Transparency is a fuzzy term. If everything is posted, does it mean there is understanding? Autonomy belongs to the DAOs to make final decisions.
- The community has the ability to challenge any charter while in the formation phase and feedback should be considered and not blindly closed or rejected
- There should be guidelines about conflict of interest in every charter to ensure the community knows if there are conflicts of interest.
- Can grassroots DAOs councils be members of other DAOs?
- The purpose of a GDAO and Charter should have a strongly defined purpose
- The approval criteria for approval should be objective and not easily gamed. Outcome-based bounties ensure this
- What criteria should be created for when a DAO funds DAOs or individuals or a mix of both?
- A process for inter-DAO collaboration and conflict resolution is needed.
That’s it for this week. Please tell us BELOW what you think of these initiatives - Also - What’s on your mind? How can we support your leanings and involvement? What’s something we should keep in mind?
Best to you all -