*For further context on the Degen Army, Degens DAO, membership, and rewards policy, please see here.
The funds we received through the Degens DAO for August were used for 1) individual payout for each member, 2) incentives for top performers (claimed through the wallet “degenarmy.near” and transferred to the wallets of 8 members). The funds we requested for general expenses have not been claimed yet, but will be used to retroactively compensate expenses (such as Combot or a Twitter analytics tool) after evaluating their effectiveness.
At the end of August, we recruited several new members, who have now successfully passed their trial month. Several older members, who have either become inactive or failed to meet our standards, have been removed. In sum, the Degen Army has grown from 43 members last month to 49 members in total this month. The full list of members eligible for payout this month are here.
- Pivot from quantity to quality + efforts to diversify approaches
As the Army matures, we are increasingly pivoting our efforts from simple shills to more quality-driven content, and focusing on becoming KOLs for NEAR. Additionally, we are experimenting with diversification of our approach, as well as new means of outreach. Some of these new efforts can be seen in “[Qualitative] Contributions and Key Results.”
- Incubation of the Kitchen Guild
Under the leadership of @lolson_tg, a council member of the Degens DAO, the Degen Army has incubated the Kitchen Guild - a guild for collaboration with crypto influencers/youtubers to produce content about the NEAR ecosystem. The Kitchen Guild’s creation post can be read here.
In order to jumpstart the program and facilitate a smooth onboarding process (through a concrete guarantee of compensation for the recruited influencers), the Degen Army decided to partially subsidize the Kitchen Guild’s budget as an effort to incubate the Kitchen Guild until it becomes a fully-funded, autonomous guild. For this reason, a portion of our payout this month will go towards the Kitchen Guild; specifically, 300 NEAR each for three influencers (Khalistas, Procent, Crypto Maximalist). The results of the Kitchen Guild’s trial month can be seen here. From next month on, the Kitchen Guild will work as an independent entity, only requesting payout from the Marketing DAO.
- Restructuring payout for NEAR Degen Syndicate
The NEAR Degen Syndicate was originally a Youtube team created from 7 members of the Degen Army. As the NEAR Degen Syndicate expanded their operations, they have requested funding from the Marketing DAO with regard to the production of their Youtube videos (studio, equipment, production, advertisement etc). For this reason, the metrics concerning their Youtube channel (+ the relevant social media channels they use to promote it) for the month of September will be reflected in their report to the Marketing DAO. Only the Syndicate’s Twitter account - which does separate content such as tutorials or threads on NEAR ecosystem projects - will be reflected in the Degen Twitter metrics. The 7 members belonging to the Syndicate contribute to the Degen Army (1) through the Syndicate Twitter account, as well as (2) through their individual activity in the Degen Army, and to this extent fall under this month’s Degen payout.
On the one hand, the Degens operate in teams specializing in certain platforms, led by the four council members. On the other hand, the Degens also perform activities such as Telegram moderation, community building, beta testing, participation in NEAR events etc, which will be listed in the section, “[Qualitative] Contributions and Key Results.”
- General Social Media
- Objectives for September: (1) maintain or increase average impressions for twitter, (2) expanding reach and influence (going beyond near bubble), (3) increase of quality-driven content
- Main actions: (1) continue daily twitter activity but optimize audience building and quality of content, (2) target eth influencers, threads, communities, (3) experiment with diff onboarding/growth hacking initiatives, (4) fix + communicate twitter method to promote outreach rather than internal boosting
- Methodology for tracking performance: Twitter analytics
- Bitcoin Talk
- Objectives: Improving the quality. Сreating more unique content and Threads.
- Main actions
- Local directions: Creating threads in local directions (creating topics about NEAR in other languages; e.g. Russian)
- The official thread NEAR: Creating a new official thread about NEAR
- Methodology for tracking performance: manually track each unique post and views, comments etc
- Objectives: An increase in the number of Reddit users among degens. / Improving the quality of content
- Main actions: Writing a manual about using Reddit. Foster support for activity in the main degens group. / Increasing the number of unique DYOR content, analysis, reviews, and so on.
- Cooperation with the NEAR Reddit OPS Team: Coordination of actions with the OPS Team. Shared content.
- Plans based on the Agenda: Creating plans for the week based on the Agenda and highlighting the main events that can be covered in Reddit.
- Methodology for tracking performance: manually track each unique post and number of views, likes, and comments.
- YouTube Comments
Objectives: optimize organizational structure. Improve approach and effectiveness in targeting youtubers in the comments.
Main actions: Delete inactive participants. Based on the activity, remove unnecessary ones.
- Organization of joint work: Together with SEM and Baxoff, to establish a new approach to the YT Team.
Methodology for tracking performance: manually track the number of comments and responses from Youtubers
Out of 48 accounts, over the last 28 days,
- Average # of tweets = 98; Profile Visits = 5576; Mentions = 200; New Followers = 185 (+38%); Average # of impressions: 60,776 (-5%); median # of impressions = 50,800 (+17%)
- Distribution: 4 accounts accrued less than 10K; 5 accounts fell between 10~20K; 4 between 20~30K; 4 between 30~40K; 7 between 40~50K; 5 between 50~60K; 3 between 70~100K; 8 between 100~200K; 1 over 200K
- Comments posted = 50; Total views on degen’s threads = 5373 (+23%); total number of comments on degens’ threads = 592 (+16%)
- posted 5 posts on behalf of the Reddit Ops Team
- main subreddit: r/CyprtoCurrency
- Total posts = 32; Likes = 322 (-114%); Comments = 375 (+7%)
- Total number of comments posted on Youtub: 183
- Total number of tweets made to Youtubers: 28
- Results: two videos on NEAR as a result of targeting + requesting
- Interactions with youtuber K Crypto:
=> Result: K Crypto - Top 3 Micro Cap Altcoins To 100X SOON (September 2021)
2)Interactions with ZeMoood + voting for NEAR in their TG group
- Increase in quality-driven content across Twitter, Reddit, BTT, Youtube + experimentation on platforms such as Medium, Youtube, and Tik Tok: see some examples in this content highlight
- Recruited a researcher and started creating educational resources on Basecamp: a “Degen Wiki” is in the works, which currently has a summary of tech, advantages, use cases of NEAR ecosystem projects such as Rainbow Bridge, Aurora, Octopus, Metapool, and a database of key NEAR NFT artists. This has contributed to the general education of the Degens and has been reflected in Degens’ Reddit and Twitter threads.
- Continued coordination with NEAR marketing: (1) degens populate + actively participate in the Marketing Distribution TG group, (2) direct communication with NEAR core marketing (@rimberjack participates in the NEAR marketing sync and Trello board, coordinating community hype with official launches + news; @chronear directly communicates with Joep; NEAR’s social media managers are in the Degen TG group for coordination)
- Event participation: this month, the Degens have actively hyped + participated in key events such as the #MetaBUIDL closing ceremony (livestream), Human Guild X MTVRS Hangout on NEAR Lands, Octopus Cryptovoxels Party etc
- Key involvement in NEAR ecosystem projects and guilds
- Many Degens are either founders or active participants of NEAR guilds/communities
- Silicon Craftsmen: AVB (founder), simeon4real
- NIA: chronear
- NEAR NFT Club: naveen_in margikbaxi, traderbtcc
- NEAR Meme Daily: naveen_in
- Corpsemen: rimberjack
- NEAR Games Guild: garikbesson (founder)
- Human Guild: haenko
- Merchants of NEAR: Yuppiefab, andresdavinf (Crypto G / podercripto)
- Wizards’ Guild: Node000 (founder), banan_ago
- Flying Rhinos Guild: banan_ago
- Kitchen Guild: lolson_tg, baxoff
- Cheddar: many degens participated in the two month invite-only beta testing + sit on the Cheddar DAO
- Pixelpets: degens participated in invite-only beta testing
- Moderation in NEAR groups
- NEAR Official: many degens are admin in the NEAR main group and provide regular support
- Sammy9ce , SanketN81 , margikbaxi, Simeon4real, andresdavinf, kanzy , p0k , JackTran , chronear, Ratatoeskr rimberjack, AVB
- Pixeltoken Community: zangleerb
- Cheddar: SanketN81 garikbesson Simeon4real
- Skyward: haenko , sanketn81 , rimberjack, zangleerb
- Rainbow Bridge Support: sanketn81 , rimberjack
- Aurora/AuroraSupport: sanketn81 , rimberjack, chronear
- Ref Finance: sanketn81 , rimberjack, cudam321.near, thb0301.near , zangleerb
- NEAR Korea: rimberjack
- NEAR Vietnam: JackTran
- Octopus: JackTran
- Octopus vietnam: JackTran
- Paras: Ratatoeskr
- Participation in major NFT Twitter Space, “499 Block NFT Avatar Carnival”: degen member Jeff G (https://twitter.com/DJJeffGold / DJ_JG on Telegram) participated as speaker, representing NEAR, along with the founder of Meebits and co-founder of Mirror
- Announcement: https://twitter.com/499BlockGlobal/status/1443151667965272071?s=20
- Twitter space: https://twitter.com/499BlockGlobal/status/1443486706305363969?s=20
- More than a hundred listeners:
- Rewards: We request rewards for 49 members in total
- Non-council member (45): 300 NEAR
- Council member (4): 400 NEAR
- Incentives: 200 NEAR as incentives for top performers among non-council members
In sum, the total funding we request for September is 15,300 NEAR
While we recognize the recent adoption of the policy for community payouts, we operate with the understanding that this policy applies only to payouts directed to the community squad DAO or the other DAO verticals. The Degen Army receives funding through the Knights of Gondor DAO, which is the DAO responsible for the Degens and Warpspeed Guilds program, and we have not been made aware of any changes to our payout policy.