Vr slotCar racing meets rogue like !¿!¿

alrighty, snuck a couple hours of work in today :smiley: This is a small sample/Wip of the environment art style.

1 Like

It’s starting to feel like building lego… and it’s awesome!

2 Likes

UUU. :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck: bring it on

GameUpdate_09_19_2021_sml
Got the game loading sequence blocked in, and a big update to the games env art :smiley:

1 Like

StartLine_Wip

3 Likes

Hello!

Just wanted to do an update, as I haven’t posted up here in a couple days.

Before I get to the update, some small observations of the process of updating here? I have been making update videos, but they’re hard to get into a format that I can share here (4k limit)>< Not sure how best to address this yet. Also, I’m entering back into the world of coding, and I have no idea how to make this entertaining for you all. I need to spend time thinking about this, but as it’s not high priority to the project it’s not at the front/center of my mind.

On with the updates!

I’m at a stage where I’m pretty happy with how all the scene loading is going, so that means the next big task is to make the AI for the other racers. This will just be for the demo, as I actually wanna use this task to teach myself actual pytorch-AI :D. However, before the AI I need to make sure I’m happy with how the car moves on the track(no sense making an ai, that solves a problem that will change). To that end I rewrote how the drag works, and I’m currently thinking about how the drifting will function.

Drifting is a big part of this game for me. I’ve got a very high bar of “Fun”/feel I want to hit. That’s what the image above is, I draw things like that while I figure them out. I’m visualizing what I want it to look/feel like as an animator first, then figure out how I can code that. I’ve been having a lot of fun in the world between animation/physics/code. I don’t think it’s the most common of spots to be in, but lot of new to be explored here. Anywho, I think I figured it out last night, and over the next couple days I’ll be implementing.

2 Likes

really cool @kurtisAikins ! If you want to share videos, just paste some kind of link here (even for an 'invisible yt or vimeo video). It has been a pleasure watching the project grow!

DriftVisualTarget

Fun update. I’m vis dev’ing the drifting, so that I can see exactly I want to make when I’m coding it. I got it done using a combo of blender, and a gif maker, to make like an animatic/stop motion thing.

2 Likes

hey hey :slight_smile: Just to let you know that the VR DAO mintbase store is open to mint community members artworks, 3D models and stuff. Feel free to reach me to do so if you’re interested! :smiley:

It would be fun to have some cars minted there!!
drop your question or talk to us here: Telegram: Contact @vrdao

@kurtisAikins

2 Likes

Definitely want to explore this world! Also, just joined the telegram, many questions I have :smiley:

2 Likes

Bunch O Weekend updates!

my build count is start to climb, up to 148 :stuck_out_tongue:

So, this one has a lot of small little changes. I’ve started ordering things, to make it start to feel more like a game. I’ve been learning how to create some fun Vr interactable buttons, and got a couple of them setup. Playing with some of the lighting. Got multi cars running around, and the track is now switching between the different lanes. Spend most of this week rewriting how the drifting logic all works. I’m starting to focus my attention on making this thing fun. This is a step most game studios don’t do :stuck_out_tongue:

Links to the Vid

2 Likes

Awesome. Let’s keep the talks about minting bits and pieces of this project going?

So, I think I’ve decided to not put up bits from the game just yet. I plan on using a crypto kitty model for some of the car bodies/wheels, So I wanna leave all the car stuff for that. Also, I have a bit of legal concerns to selling parts of the concepts, and handing over ownership of that, while I’m making the thing. This might just be my fear, but I wanna hold off until I have a better understanding of things.

That brings me around to why I want to put some stuff up in the first place. I’m after the learnings. I need to be able to put something up that’s simple, fun to make. Something that ties in the with the game, and the vr community. Also, I love the idea of collectable sets personally, and it needs to be something that I might buy.

This leads us to this guy, I call them cubi’s or cubee’s I’m not sure yet, but I’ve been drawing em for years now. I used to take posted notes, and fill walls at work :P. I’m thinking something like 1 or 2 a month, and actioning them off.

Note this is just a WIP, I wanted to test the process out a bit

CubiGifScene_01_WIP_SML

2 Likes

:rotating_light: Fresh builds :rotating_light:

Build # 159 - The Game is Feeling Fun

Spent the last week/weekHalf focusing on getting the game to feel how I wish it would feel. The car’s feel, and track break points(visually complete :stuck_out_tongue: ) have become tune-able. It’s a fun spot to be at.

this doesn’t show the drift mode, but it will be a drift/boost system going in :smiley: So that’s next.

On a side note, it seems really hard to see the car in videos, but in vr it’s much easy to see. Vr doesn’t seem to transfer to video amazingly well. Still do plan on making it more visible however, not sure how yet.

1 Like

:rotating_light: Build # 176 :rotating_light:

finally figured out how to make the drifting mechanic work, and be fun! Boosts fun, drifting is working, and the car is starting to have a good feel. So that means time to mess around with something else for a while.

1 Like

:rotating_light: Build #177 :rotating_light:

Build #176 :D pic.twitter.com/SuccLrt9Q0

— Kurtis Aikins (@kanimated) October 30, 2021

Lots of little things have been cleaned up. Also, much work on the FX.

Couple new Systems

Re made the system that deals with cars going too fast through corners. Instead of just popping off the track, it now puts the car into like a warning state. Basically if you enter the state, and don’t let go of the throttle, before a set period of time, you wreck.

Starting to work more on the other cars AI, still pretty simple, not boosting/drifting yet.

1 Like

:rotating_light: Build #180 :rotating_light:

Worked back in the lands of procedural geometry, to get the track mag lane things, auto generated :smiley: Also added a tracker/icon thing to the car. I showed the game to some family, and then people first put on the head set, it was a lot of “Which car is mine” , so that needs to change :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Growing a lot :slight_smile: It’s a pleasure to see.

1 Like

Yup, definitely progressing.

next up

• have a light switch button to turn the track on, when you enter the room
  • create the start line mechanics, boost if you get it correctly
  • update/rewrite the laps, lap time, and finish line logics
  • Improve the Ai, so they boost on their own
  • some minor art polish for the env
  • simplify the garage scene, to just use text to describe what it will be (not enough time to make all the bits for this)

that should be most of what goes into the demo done. After, I need to work on the deck. Deck’s are the blueprints of the game. They include info on the art, other environments. Explain the car, upgrade system, and core game mechanics. Describe in some detail, the rogue like elements, and basically anything and everything that will need to go into the game.

3 months until it needs to be ready for the grant review :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

oof

1 Like