[Proposal] Seminar: Like a Children’s Game: arts and virtual reality in terms of make-believe

Like a Children’s Game: arts and virtual reality in terms of make-believe

How could a children’s game help us in our understanding of art and its role in human life? In the philosophy of art, some philosophers postulate that the foundation of human artistic activity lies on make-believe games. The make-believe is an element of so many child plays. For example, the child pretends to be an astronaut. In this perspective, the art can be understudied as a more sophisticated make-believe game for adult’s immersion in a fictional world. In these adult make-believe games, the own person is a part of this fictional world. The art appreciator is not merely passive. He or she have an active relationship with the work of art. This art can be pictorial (for example, painting) and/or verbal (for example, literature), involving our senses and emotional reactions. Recent advances in virtual reality employ a more diverse catalogue of sensory perceptions and feelings experienced in a man-made environment. Is the virtual reality another make-believe game?

I have a PhD in Philosophy (“Non-Mentalistic Social Ontology: a Behavioral Biocentric Approach”) and a Master’s Degree in Law (“Naturalized Jurisprudence: a methodological discussion with Brian Leiter and his critics”). My main research interests are social ontology, analytic metaphysics, philosophy of social sciences (including evolutionary behavioral sciences) and philosophy of Law. I had researched political/moral philosophy, experimental philosophy, philosophy of religion and jewish philosophy too.

The seminar will take place on September 28th (online), 2022. 17:30 (Brazil Time UTC-3).
It will be held in Portuguese.

Budget for speaker: 200 USD in DAI or NEAR.
NEAR account for payment: valdmb.near

3 Likes

This talk was approved for the TPD Seminars (Fifth edition) in September. Thank you.

1 Like

Link (seminar): Seminar #16 - Como brincadeira de criança: O faz de conta na base da arte e do virtual - YouTube

2 Likes