Ideation - Prison Art Project

This idea explores the use of agency governance in the open web, where an entity provides generative art services for those who don’t have access to technology, or who live in areas with little/no access to internet.

In this instance, the community we would like to explore is prison artists. In the US alone, there are over 2.3 million incarcerated people and 600,000 are added each year. When released, formerly incarcerated people are faced with looming financial debts. 88% of US states reincarcerate 30% of released people for failure to pay.

Some of the best art, music and ink comes from isolation in prison. A Creator Work Release program, with programmed instruction on use of proceeds, wins the support of the incarcerated, their families, government and prison officials.

Any prison across the planet can create an ‘artist in residency’ program for inmates. The finished artwork is minted by a community entity(agent) and sold on behalf of the imprisoned(principals). Associated funds would be stored in a DAO and staked on their behalf. A percentage of payments within the staking pool would remain in the DAO Reserve for regenerative financial support, and a percentage paid to artist-specific financial obligations prior to release such as restitution, court fees and driver’s license reinstatement fees. Payment of these obligatory financial debts enables a frictionless return to community, reducing repeat crime. Upon release, the principal receives instruction for creating a wallet where any remaining funds would be transferred.

1. Onboarding artists through legal framework and art education program
    a. Establishes process and guidelines for minting/selling artwork
  2. DAO Reserve receives funds and notates revenue associated with artist-specific account
  3. Define, establish and execute artist-specific DAO payouts

Products Use:

1. Mintbase on NEAR
  2. PAPaDAO – Prison Art Project of the Americas DAO, NEAR staking pool or other yield aggregator, Policykit.org or similar
  3. FU22YDICE – Agent (can be scaled to be any entities providing services to a similar community)
2 Likes

Hi @Tako,

thanks for this. It’s a commendable project. We can start a discussion here and see how to narrow it into a feasible outcome:

Any prison across the planet can create an artist in residency program for inmates.

I have not done much research on this but it would be good to have a couple of examples discussed in the upcoming tasks of prisons that have this kind of program and how they go about organizing them. Also, it would help if there was some specific contact on the prison side to work on this with.

The finished artwork is minted by a community entity(agent) and sold on behalf of the imprisoned(principals).

In our case, this would be a Sputnik DAO on NEAR?

I think as a starting point it could be as simple as minting the artist’s work, using the DAO, on NEAR (through Paras for example), and sending the proceeds to the prison program. Then evolve it from there.

Let me know your thoughts.

2 Likes

Hi Yassine, thank you. There are several US prisons and jails that stand ready to pilot a project for the in-prison piece and already have traditional art or art therapy programs in place. This could be a simple as photographing and digitizing traditional fine art, or as complicated as using/building an app for prison tablets that enables digital art creation. At the point to which a program was ready to lift, the in-prison piece would come together quite quickly. I used to be Director of Programs/Re-entry for Florida Department of Corrections and maintain a number of relationships in the criminal justice space that will make this an easier process.

I had been using Mintbase on testnet and am awaiting MainNet launch, but am open to other solutions too, such as Paras. One great thing about Mintbase is the ability to do splits for sales proceeds.

As part of the current Hackathon, I created PAPaDAO(Prison Art Project of Americas DAO) on Sputnick DAO. I would forsee the proceeds from Mintbase/Paras sales flowing to PAPaDAO, where we would create governance policy that enables staking the pool of proceeds and then use the funds at sometime certain to directly pay fees, which I assume would require a number of jumps to offramp to cash/payment. prisonartproject.com

2 Likes

This could be a simple as photographing and digitizing traditional fine art

I think this would be great to start.

I had been using Mintbase on testnet and am awaiting MainNet launch, but am open to other solutions too, such as Paras. One great thing about Mintbase is the ability to do splits for sales proceeds.

Mintbase should be live soon.

Thanks for the proposal, for what it’s worth, to connect it to generative art, what I can do on my side is set up some royalty percentage on my generative art projects towards the PAPaDAO, when contracts are live.

2 Likes

Super gracious and awesome. Sincere gratitude, and looking forward to seeing this live on NEAR!

2 Likes