[BOUNTY CLOSED] Create a piece of art for the Philosophical Thought Experiment 2: The Veil of Ignorance

Dear Community,

The Philosophers DAO is very glad of launching this artistic bounty. Philosophy is full of thought experiments, that are deeply important to argue for or against a certain thesis. We want to see NEAR community to express its creativity by creating art from philosophical thought experiments and thus learn a little bit about these experiments. This one tells us about political philosophy and how to think about political structures inside a fair framework. Let the philosophical thought experiment be your inspiration, and bring us your art!

We will give 100 usd in near or dai (according to the best convenience of the dao and in the conversion rate used for NEAR to pay the DAO), for the 4 best pieces of art. The pieces of art must not be minted, must be completely original (no copyright problem), because they are going to be minted by us, with the due credits, in our Mintbase store and with royalties and revenue splitted equally between the artist and The Philosophers DAO. In case the piece of art is not an image or gif, it must come with a cover image. We accept as pieces of art: images, including memes, gifs, GAN, videos, poetry, 3d objects; and they should express in a very creative way the following thought experiment:

Thought experiment: The Veil of Ignorance

This famous thought experiment was built by the American philosopher John Rawls to explore some ideas about the concept of justice, exposed in detail in his book A Theory of Justice (1971).

Imagine that you and a group of people need to decide on the principles that will establish a new society. However, none of these people know what their situation would be in that society. Elements such as their race, income level, sex, gender, religion, for example, are unknown to all individuals under the Veil of Ignorance. After deciding which principles should govern this new society, everyone should follow those principles and accept the benefits and consequences of their choices.

The big questions are: What would that society be like? Which principles would be chosen? How does this reflection affect our perception of current reality?

RAWLS, J. A Theory of Justice (1971).

We will close this bounty July 22th, 2022, when The Philosophers DAO is going to choose the 4 best pieces of art.

Please, submit your art here, as a comment, together with your name, near wallet, title of the work, and description of the piece.

Thank you all for participating.
Let’s bring philosophy to the blockchain through art!

This bounty is a continuation of:

18 Likes

Another awesome bounty from the philosophers again :heart_eyes: I would love to join your bounty! :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

Yay! Thank you! We are very glad! Please tell your friends too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes! They will definitely join this awesome bounty :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I play this game!
Veilwill falling

1 Like

Name: mbellivarts
Near Wallet: mbellivarts.near
Title: IH-V4
Description: A veil intertwines with the unknown in search of equality.

4 Likes

Name: Boldest

Near Wallet: urukhai.near

Title: Primitiveness

Description: When several people want to share their common property, each will probably want to take the larger share and leave a smaller share to the others. However, if these people put on the veil of ignorance for a moment and ignore their nationality, interests and belongings - most likely - they will base this property on justice.

This idea has its roots in the very deep principle that there is goodness in the human soul. In other words, human nature is benevolent and just. Selfishness, nationalism, and persecution of others are the result of the effects of social environment and upbringing. The veil of ignorance is the momentary forgetting of one’s present state and returning to that original state of nature before it was polluted by the dirt, bonds, and false colors of the world.

It is to emphasize that equality is the primary basis in relationships between people and that it is the embodiment of our nature and disposition before our soul is exposed to the effects of life. We need to remember that we are equal to others in value, dignity and right. No one among us is inferior in value to other people. This is our right and everyone else’s right. Whatever we see as a right for ourselves means that others automatically have that right, even if we forget or ignore it.

5 Likes

Heyy Fam​:sparkles: here’s my entry for this Bounty, though experiment: The Veil of Ignorance.
Name: cedieeearts
Title: “Naked Liberty”
Near wallet: cedieee.near

Description: Imagine that we are concealed by a layer of ignorance that prevents us from understanding who we are and connecting with our unique situations. We can think more logically about how society should function if we are unaware of our conditions. The Veil of Ignorance, a component of social contract theory, allows us to test ideas for fairness.

Behind the Veil of Ignorance, no one knows who they are. They lack clues as to their class, their privileges, their disadvantages, or even their personality. They exist as an impartial group, tasked with designing a new society with its own conception of justice. Even our eye’s are covered we must see things fairly.

12 Likes

Name: ikarus
Tittle: ‘‘Extinction’’
Near wallet: ikarus.near
Description:“Veil of ignorance” By separating from people’s knowledge and abilities, “What kind of society do we live in, will it be to our advantage?” This is the situation where they reasoned, “I can be very rich, but I can also be very poor, but my fear of being very poor exceeds my urge to be very rich, it is best that we live together in an egalitarian society, eat and drink together, use everything in common”.

Not being unequally distributed means that those who will meet to decide on the distribution of uncomfortable things (freedom, opportunity, wealth, etc.) strip themselves of their identities before the meeting in question. In this way, equity in the distribution will be ensured. The person who wears the veil of ignorance is the person who has left out his nationality, economic status, race, in short, all the features that determine where he stands in life. Therefore, he will not be able to consider his own interests during the decision-making process and will have to think about what is in the best interest of everyone.

6 Likes

I would like to ask if the 4 best art will divide the 100usd??

2 Likes

Hi. here’s my submission.
The veil of ignorance
Wallet address: eliaszinas.near

Everyone could earn what is due to them by allowing justice decide. We are looking for something, even though its close to us but we can’t see it. If only we knew what others knew, if only we had what others have. We follow blindly and allow life’s circumstances to do justice. Fairness is key to creating such an environment where there’s equity.

8 Likes

Name: fangorl
Title: Justice of Tears
Near wallet: fangorl.near

Description: This mechanism explains how liberalism should establish the relationship between equality and freedom.

Because resources and opportunities are limited. For example: student scholarships… No student has a legal obstacle to study at university, but she/he needs an extra opportunity to realize this freedom because her/his income level is low. In this case, how should the scholarship be chosen to whom?

Accordingly, the most correct, fair, decision-making management is to analyze the event behind the veil of ignorance. People allocate resources without knowing which role comes to them in life. So, you have to divide the resource without knowing whether the role of being the child of the Prince or the child of the scavenger will come to you in the lottery. So you can decide what is fairest.

5 Likes

Name: Nosana
Tittle:Whirlpool
Near wallet: bazer08.near

Description:The veil of ignorance that will allow us to consider everyone equal in the head. In my opinion, the superiority of the veil of ignorance over other contract theories is that it tries to free man from the abstraction that reduces the common characteristics of human beings, that is, to seek an abstract person to compromise.

In other contracts, the state “forgets” the language, religion and gender of the citizens, whereas in this it “keeps it in mind” even if it does not see them. I’m not sure if he’s successful in this attempt, because as a bearded man says, what he calls a human is actually German. Knowing and accepting German does not mean surrendering the Germanness of the German.
There is a difference between accepting German and accepting German. (It is not even possible to give an example as German, you have to say Jewish, Algerian or Gay) For example, there are very few people who believe and openly say that homosexuality and homosexuals do not exist in the dictionary, but when you look around, you will see that it is not.

The enlightenment that will be experienced in people’s minds with the veil of ignorance may overshadow other problems.

“Had I been born across the street, I would have been a ‘Christian’;
An ‘Armenian’ in the back house…

Law can only be just when it is written by legislators who can put themselves in the shoes of others.
In order to take the test of fairness, you must dispense justice without knowing which group you belong to, otherwise you will be stuck in the whirlpool of the oppression of the majority over the minority, like the utilitarians.

6 Likes

Hello fam :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: this is my entry, though experiment: “The Veil of Ignorance” hope you like it!

Near wallet: pemmiee.near

Title: “Transparent Individuals”

Description: Racism has always been and continues to be one of the most pervasive societal issues affecting society, particularly in other nations. Racism creates an unbalance in society by giving additional privileges to those who are not impacted by it. From the past to the present, a lot of individuals have been blinded by ignorance, which makes it difficult to understand and bring about equality in society. We are unable to recognize our true selves or connect with our unique situations because of the curtain of ignorance. We can think more logically about how society should function if we are unaware and blinded by our conditions.

We should ask ourselves:

What if there are no racists? What if the requirement for love isn’t all about gender-based, having man to woman vice versa?

Behind all these questions resides equality and peace. Having no racism helps us to embrace flaws and imperfections making everyone equally transparent being respected and treated as a normal member of the society. If everything is equal, unbalanced society would be no more and equality, freedom, and peace will prevail.

5 Likes

Name: JamilaArts
Near wallet: jamilaa.near
Title: “Veil of Shadow”

Description: We should picture ourselves sitting behind a curtain of ignorance that prevents us from understanding who we are and connecting with our unique situations. We may think about how society should function more objectively if we are unaware of our conditions.

12 Likes

Name: yonakawaii
Near Wallet: yonakawaii.near
Title: “UNKNOWN FACE”

Description:
People behind the Veil of Ignorance do not know who they will be in this new society, any choice they make in structuring that society could either harm them or benefit them.

If they decide men will be superior, for example, they must face the risk that they will be women. If they decide that 10% of the population will be slaves to the others, they cannot be surprised if they find themselves to be slaves. No one wants to be part of a disadvantaged group, so the logical belief is that the Veil of Ignorance would produce a fair, egalitarian society.

7 Likes

Hi this is my entry

IGNORANCE OF TRUTH
The truth is we excel at being ignorant. It’s our greatest “strength” as members of the human race. And that, my friends, is a sad, sad fact.

Why?

Because our ignorance, lies, and deceptions are keeping us from successful relationships, keeping us from personal growth, and keeping us from seeing the truth about our own identity, the identities of others, and our world as a whole.

Think about it.

We say things all the time that reveal our own ignorance. We do this when we say phrases such as “I know what he’s up to,” or “I know what she’s trying to do,” or when we pridefully state that “I know what the problem is,” or “the simple truth is…”

But the truth is never simple. Never.
Near wallet : eyesore.near

8 Likes

Name: Teress
Near wallet: daconno.near
Title: If you don’t know who you will come into the world as, you wants demand equality.

Description:
If the person who will make the laws that distribute the resources and rights to the members of the society does this without knowing what role/conditions he will come to the world, the most just result will be achieved.

4 Likes

NAME: GV_Arts
NEAR WALLET: genvergara.near
TITLE: Chained Liberty

Think about being concealed by the Veil of Ignorance. You might want to take steps to ensure a good quality of life. You would prioritize the particular things you care about if you had to create a fulfilling life for yourself. However, behind the Veil, you are only aware of the general factors that contribute to people’s well-being.

The veil conceals information about your “image of the good,” including your values and opinions on who you should love, how your life should be lived, and how we should conduct yourself.

There are some “demographic” information hidden behind the Veil. You are unaware of your gender, color, financial status, or other details pertaining to your personal qualities, such as brilliance or athleticism.

7 Likes

Name: Mhie Mhie
Title: Eye of Ignorance
Near wallet: mhiemhie.near

Can a person legitimately be blamed for acting blind when he knows what he is doing, but does not know that it is wrong?
We should imagine we sit behind a veil of ignorance that keeps us from knowing who we are and identifying with our personal circumstances. By being ignorant of our circumstances, we can more objectively consider how societies should operate.

7 Likes