[Approved] NEAR onboarding game developed by Ready Layer One

Project Name: Ready Layer One Onboarding Game (working title)
Link: TBA, will be hosted through https://readylayeronepodcast.com servers (we will use a shorter, separate domain depending on the final name of the game)
Funding: For version 1 development and launch

Description:
We are building a text-based, it’s in the style of like the 80s terminal-based games which take you through opening a wallet, making a transaction, using the explorer, minting an NFT, trying DeFi, etc. At the end of the game, the player will have created a mainnet wallet, minted a Ready Layer One NFT, and have a sense of what NEAR is and how to navigate it. It would work on mobile and desktop.

Details:
The game is a fun educational experience where the person learns all about NEAR and completes challenges(activities) using a testnet wallet that we make them. Then at the end, we create a mainnet wallet and they mint an NFT as their “prize” along with a little near in the wallet so they will have their personalized wallet ready to go.

The user will be on testnet at first for the game since the wallet would be preloaded with NEAR for activities and there isn’t a consequence for swapping, spending, etc. This would all be done on the testnet of ref.finance, burrow, etc. Then, at the end, we create/give a mainnet wallet since the real point is to get people on NEAR with a wallet, where their final task is to mint a real NFT. (See attached flowchart for more details). We have also partnered with NEAR NFT project, Secret Skellies Society, to use their minting platform for the last activity.

RLO_Onboarding.pdf (1.2 MB)

Here is a quick preview video of the unbranded site (graphic and style to come) and a brief visual of how it would work. https://readylayerone.s3.amazonaws.com/RLO_OnboardingSample.mp4

Team:
Joe is a software developer and architect with over 15 years in the web2 space. He will be architecting and developing the entire project.

Jared is a content creator. He’s the director of video for a tech company in NYC. For the past 10 years he’s been focused on marketing content that amplifies the brand strategy and delivers the content globally for marketing and social media teams. He will be developing the videos/content needed for the game.

Funding Requests: $9770
Development of the game = $7200 (approx 90-100 hours of work)
Additional content creations (video clips) = $1500
Branding and graphic work = $1000
First 1000 mainnet wallets through link drop proxy (.02N x 1000 = 20N) = $70

DAO: ready-layer-one.sputnik-dao.near
Wallet: readylayerone.near - Owned by Jared & Joe

Promotion:
We plan to promote this on our podcast, socials, and website. We believe this can be a nice addition to onboarding tools on the ecosystem and we hope community stakeholders will also adopt this as an option to onboard people.

Success measurements:
Success is a mainnet wallet created.
Our first goal is 100 new wallets which help give us feedback on how this is working.
Our second goal is then the next 1000 wallets based on any needed iterations from the first goal.
Long-term, we can continue to refine the tasks the user needs to complete and this could help onboarding 10s of thousands of wallets because it will be an easy way for people to create a wallet for someone and help them learn a little about NEAR and how to use it.

7 Likes

Hi Joe,

Thanks for thoughtful and detailed proposal! Love to see you guys thinking of more creative ways to onboard total beginner to the ecosystem.

Couple of questions;

• would this ‘game’ be open to other project to suggest or add tasks? For instance, add steps such as: a) Liquid Staking with Meta Pool ; b) deposit stNEAR on Burrow c) Borrow USDT or things like that?
  • how hard would it be to add language support in the future so other communities can also benefit from this?

Thanks,

AVB

3 Likes

Seems like a cool creative idea to onboard new users to $NEAR :heart_eyes:

Would be fun through the game :innocent:

2 Likes

Hey AVB,

Excellent questions. To answer them in order:
Yes, we could easily add other projects/tasks to the flow. Due to the way it is being built adding in other projects throughout the game would not require big lifts. We’ve envisioned adding more ecosystem partners over time.

As for other languages, while the translation was not part of this first version because it is a text-based adventure we can easily include a translation file to support multiple languages. We would build with this in mind. Great point!

Thank you for the feedback and questions.

3 Likes

Hi @joe-rlo thanks for your proposal

The marketing DAO is focused on supporting community initiatives in achieving their marketing goals.

I like your proposal but would suggest you should reach out to Human Guild for funding the development side.

When you have a working product please fee free to come back and request funding.

I am sure @Dacha will also have suggestions as he is involved in game projects

3 Likes

Yes, for sure.

@joe-rlo I will happy to connect you with human guild councils . Please, pm me on tg @kmotiv. Thanks

2 Likes

Sounds good, thank you!

1 Like

Sounds great,

I am happy to support this proposal.

Keep us updated on communications with Human Guild and whether this proposal goes ahead through Marketing DAO or Human Guild.

Cheers,

2 Likes

Interesting concept.

Just to clarify. Is this a one-time funding request to build the frontend interface and integrate with wallet creation and NFT minting in one month?

2 Likes

Correct. This is a one-time request to build the initial version of the game based on the flow chart and description.

2 Likes

hi! very interested in results of your further communications about the game, and wish to get known when approximately to expect it ready for testing :blush:

1 Like

Good morning, happy to support.

2 Likes

I am happy to support this – I would love to see mention of the Community/Forum mentioned in the onboarding flow : )

2 Likes

Good evening!

Could you please clarify what stands for

If Marketing dao has approved full development of the game?

Thank You

Hi Dacha,

My apologies for the confusion. The second grant proposal to Human Guild was to expand the features of the original design. Since the original application to Marketing, we have had a lot of interest in adding additional features from the original design. We were upfront in talking with HG about the original grant. We are good for shipping even what is laid out and more in the original proposal. The second grant would help add in additional features on day 1 like supporting multiple languages, expanding gameplay (more activities, etc), and new integrations.

The development of the full version of game as detailed in this proposal is in progress and will be completed.

I’m happy to go in more detail in a call as well.

To sum up, it the second grant was not to complete the game, it was only to expand it and essentially ship an expanded game on day 1. We are still on track to ship a great version 1 before NEARcon.

Thank you,
Joe

1 Like