The Metamorphosis of Creatives DAO

we build white-label marketplaces…js.

1 Like

Guys, you did a wonderful job here. FraDAO would like to thank you for all your energy and time in putting it all together for us. It will be a great metamorphosis! We are also very grateful for the opportunity to share our thoughts.

The road to self-sustainability has proven to be longer than we initially imagined, and we reiterate FraDAO’s commitment to continue working hard to build this meaningful NEAR community together.

Some comments we’d like to share:

1- The monthly/quarterly report is a great tool, not just for moderators, but especially for ourselves. We spent long hours writing and reading the reports.

However, board members are overloaded with extra time to manage DAO initiatives, metrics, our own members, plus implement the proposed roadmap.

Perhaps a pre-formatted, easy-to-fill Report sheet (and following our previous steps) would make it easier for everyone - with less copying/pasting and repeated information. Every time we run the board, everything has to be explained to newbies (a considerable loss of productivity). Our DAO has many artists, but very few have managerial skills. Do you think it would be possible to build a standardized report form?

2- Our DAO is mainly focused on onboarding - even our educational events/workshops aim to grow the community with quality members (eg. professional artists to produce in the metaverse).

So if our success metrics is based on revenue generation, we would have to drastically change our mission and membership profiles.

Having a lot of inactive members or web2-only artists can make a DAO look popular, but building an active community takes time and resources, as we all know. Integration is not about web2 social media engagement or distributing NEAR tokens, but keeping those tokens moving - making them popular. That’s value, for the ecosystem. We fully agree with the proposed funding structure.

Thanks once again!
@PatriciaB @Narau @frado

2 Likes

Awesome, I’ll update it here: Near Coin là gì? Tổng hợp thông tin chi tiết về tiền điện tử NEAR

Hi everyone,
@jlwaugh is helping me create a miro board to visually simplify this complex looking document :sweat_smile:

A part of it is complete and another half is being worked on. We’ll finish this by tomorrow.

Once completed I will update you all here and on the telegram group, so you can review it, revise and suggest changes if needed.

It is taking a while to complete this, as simplification, I realised, is a bit demanding.

I really appreciate all the feedback, support and patience.

For some feedback shared which I haven’t responded to,( @zeitwarp @Dedeukwu @reespect )once I have this Miro board ready I’d like you to review it and if you still have questions, I’d be happy to get respond.

12 Likes

Hello @Cryptonaut
I’ve been reading and slowly understanding things here
I appreciate a lot what @Dedeukwu pointed in his comment, thank you.

But I want to point something that is making some noise in my thoughts, about this:

I do not think it’s Creatives DAO role, to onboard mainstream artists. It could be something from NF Marketing, if is their aim. Creatives, as a DAO of DAOs, should be focused in empower this community from inside. Provide structure and elements for the DAOs here to grow, to build on web 3, and so…
Onboard tier 1 and 2 artists, I think is a specific job, not related to creatives, maybe it will be a loss of energy instead of working with and inside the community that already exists.
Still reading and hope can contribute more soon.

11 Likes

Hello Everyone,

Please go through the miro board presentation showcasing next steps for creatives DAO.

These are ideas that we can accept, modify or reject. It is all upto how the community decides.

Please participate so we can finalise things one step at a time and meet NF to work on resuming the funding.

@JulianaM - hope this visual representation helps.

10 Likes

Hi everyone
today’s meeting was very important to understand better this process

as I wrote on telegram:
looking to this, I’d like to suggest review the timeline
think that we do not need do start ambassadors role right now.
maybe it’s better to focus on marketing and on the structure inside, as the dapp, the evaluation sheets and so
and put the ambassadors process for next year
we will need time, disponibility, people and a lot of work
also to analise the sheet, because the two proposals took a lot of time to be understood

thank you all for the insights and ideas shared

9 Likes

Web3 Infra Support and MVC milestones - Google Sheets](Web3 Infra Support and MVC milestones - Google Sheets)

I’m making an effort to follow everything that is being proposed and debated here. I would like to collaborate more actively, but this is especially difficult when you have to balance work and children… I appreciate all your dedication. :bouquet:
In general I think that the proposals are coherent, but
I didn’t understand well this sheet, @ritamaria, @cryptonaut could you put it in context for me, please?

In this metamorphosis, how will can DAOs working on dapp development for Creatives benefit from the funding available to the community?

5 Likes

Hi @Cryptonaut

Thanks for putting the Miro together :+1:

I’ve had a look around and followed the strategic path through it…but I’m starting to agree with the observation made by @ritamaria (above)

Obviously there is self-interest here…but I think that outreach to ‘external tier 1, tier 2 “name” creatives’ perhaps shouldn’t be part of the creatives dao remit. It does fell more like a separate initiative that NF might want to pursue through a different channel.

As i said above, i can understand the strategy…but it feels like a high-risk speculative move to try to secure growth quickly…by rewarding the ‘already successful’ on a short term basis…with the hope of long term trickle down benefits to the majority already working within the ecosystem

We’ve just had an interesting four week economic/political experiment with something like that in the UK… :upside_down_face:

Anyway…maybe the focus in the short term should be on reforming the existing creatives dao modus operandi…but within the existing ecosystem…and with a greater eye either on economic sustainability and/or clear benefits to Near…

Maybe ask daos - and individual artists/creatives (!) - to produce a clear plan for KPI/deliverables…whatever those criteria are - as part of their longer-term proposals for funding…with a clear rationale as to why they should be supported by CD/NF…

So…for example…this is the activity, this is how long it takes, this is how it benefits Near, this is how we measure its effectiveness…with an acknowledgement of whether there is a path to commercial sustainability or not.

Last point …I know everyone wants decentralisation…but - (another maybe!) - maybe it is better to have appointed (KYC’d?) mods/council who are rewarded appropriately for the workload and responsibility…but are not members/beneficiaries of any proposals passed.

Feels like that independence would add a level of oversight/inscrutability that would help satisfy outside observers from both NF & the ecosystem. Also…i bet it’s a lot of work…as it does sound like a full-time job.

(I also like @frnvpr 's suggestion of rolling replacements for council/mods - above.)

Ok, just some thoughts. Best of luck with it. Appreciate it is tough to pull all this together and please everyone/anyone

Meanwhile, back to the day job…

thnx

11 Likes

Hello Carol
I’ll try to explain, maybe @Cryptonaut can also help

This sheet is related to onboard mainstream artists, who have this 1.000.000 followers or something (in tier 1) and 100.000 (in tier 2), and by making NFTs, this would return to Creatives DAO as royalties, and help support activities by using the royalties

it is better explained in Miro - would be a role of ambassadors.
this is what I understood

3 Likes

Thank you @zeitwarp
I was about to write a little more about my thoughts on it, but couldn’t find better words! your comment goes exactly towards my thoughts.

I think that the main important discussion now is How to structure Creatives DAO, as a DAO of DAOs, to help this community growing in web3

So, maybe the urgent plan is to focus in solving the issues we have, and as I said before (but I don’t think I am perfectly understandable by my English), that the sheet shared by @Paul is a nice first step for all DAOs to understand what is missed, and what is needed

And in that way, as we can evaluate ourselves looking to this sheet as a roadmap draft, we can figure out our needs, what we know together, what we don’t know, and how DAOs can support each other. A little abstract, I understand.

But, in my point of view, Creatives DAO should be this bridge between NF and DAOs, providing the structure, as you well pointed here

thank you again

5 Likes

This initiative will go a long way in promoting a better understanding of the DAO their work culture and provide a better mechanism to evaluate and present the challenges and fund appropriate projects in right manner. Great work @creativesdao-council we will support and provide any feedback required to make this robust and sound. :star_struck:

2 Likes

I agree with @ritamaria and @zeitwarp about the plan for mainstream artists.

I think this should be a post proposal to the Restructuring Plan that we need to present to the NF, as I don’t think this will be the crucial thing to ensure the sustainability of the community. The mainstream is also based on speculative, of-the-moment basis. This is sometimes a necessary phenomenon to stimulate the market and generate buzz in the media that can be better worked on by marketing teams.

I believe that the Creatives community should have access to resources and funding in returns that can provide sustainable growth to the Near ecosystem, which makes me agree with many of @frnvpr arguments.

What we need is to establish what criteria make the most fair, decentralized and diverse possible.

5 Likes

@shreyas @illia @marieke.flament

Where did you find any changes here? Old Creative DAO collective continues to have election power over the council’s team.

Maybe time to stop mocking the Community and the experiments in both DAOs. I know some brilliant contributors have already left Near and joined in Solana and Polygon communities. Was it the goal of the changes @illia @marieke.flament? Why Near Foundation hates community?

awesome! thank you for the effort :pray: :dizzy:

2 Likes

All @creativesdao-council are working to prepare a consolidated document which should be out by Monday.

It will show our governance framework to evaluate proposals and a strategy to move forward and grow stronger.

Thank you all for your questions, engagement and suggestions.

We understand it’s a tense time due to halt in funding and we’re working everyday to ensure that we come out stronger. :pray:

16 Likes

As I listened to this week’s Creatives meeting, I had a deeper understanding of FraDAO’s creative educational mission and compromise. Once again I would like to thank everyone for the opportunity to learn from you and being able to express our thoughts.

How can we help the ecosystem?

1. for Near community to grow better: we need to onboard really good artists on web3
  • but we stop on wallet and minting. We must expand our artists creative education to NearHubs adoption (spending time on the metaverse)

• more importantly: great artists on brick and mortar galleries (high scores on web 2) are not necessarily good DIGITAL artists. We have two options: A - to provide creative education so that they can produce quality digital content, and/or B - we could offer them tech helpers (other artist members of our community, hourly paid) to assist other artists on individual projects development.

• NFTs cannot be the only kind of art at the metaverse.

1. although buying NFTs from Mintbase and Paras is considered a win-win situation, it should not be seen as a priority for smaller DAOs, considering our limited resources. (Creatives DAO is already doing that). But our “helper” artists for example, could be paid via NFTs purchasing. I mean, instead of receiving Near coins for a service (ex. teaching a creative workshop), FraDAO would buy a rare NFT as a form of payment and incentive. This artwork may also increase in value in the future, proving itself a win-win.

2. marketing wise: we need to decide if our activities and stories will be shown primarily to the near community or elsewhere.

• the question is: where will we lead? Inside the community itself, or outside? My strategy would be to contact web3 ancillary companies (as we did last month with Overlyapp and QLone because of our 3D workshop). Those partnerships will provide our artists with ready to use technology and spread the Near word among creatives - attracting more qualified people .

• We believe 2 paid ambassadors per DAO, who compromise to onboard 2 qualified artists per month (and support them build on Near protocol), is a feasible objective. But in order to keep all artists producing, the DAO should invest on continuous creative education (information, news, technology, market opportunities and successful stories within our community.)

• I would like to suggest that ambassadors create a limited edition of rare NFTs, to be purchased by their sponsoring DAO as a form of payment for their services. This action can also be seen as an investment opportunity for the DAO, and will bond the ambassador artist with its organization.

1. governance: if I got it right, nowadays 5 moderators review 80 proposal/month (or quarterly, in the new system). It’s a lot. We need to build standard accountant systems (pre-formatted forms at the Dashboard dapp, for example). Standard processes will help moderators and councils.
  • about the dashboard DApp: it would be really great if we can easily bridge to other Near DAOs there. An easy to navigate platform where we could search for synergic partners inside the world community is imperative at this point.
  1. future funding remarks:
  • the suggested "2 parties/events every 3 months” could be in case of FraDAO: 2 individual exhibitions from our top niche artists (with proper curatorship) in our DAO’s metaverse gallery. This will cost less than collective exhibitions, will be faster as it involves fewer members, and more importantly: will keep our artists motivated and productive to grab this opportunity. BUT we need to invest a bit on curatorial training.

• wrong assumption, in my opinion as an artist myself: that our DAO or the Near system will be remembered by the artists as being the first who helped them mint/build on web3. (Not true. Artists spend a lot of energy learning to create digital assets. It’s frustrating when it doesn’t sell. And THAT on the other hand, is memorable and frustrating).

So, if funding goes more towards the artists (which will definitely strengthen the community) this should add value for the artists themselves. A promise to sell NFTs is not a sustainable model. NFTs offer keeps growing way higher than demand.

Creative workshops and NFT art challenges, on the other hand, will always be remembered and fruitful. Plus, with art technology projects we raise consumers (not only producers) for the meta environment.

Thank you again!
@PatriciaB @Narau @frado

7 Likes

Hey all,

I know I am very late in contributing here as my life has needed me to be present in other ways - I have been unable to digest all this with the proper presence until now. It’s really great to see so much progress happening and everyone contributing in a beautiful manner to make it happen!

My Response to the Creatives Evaluation Matrix:

• DAO Interaction with Near dApps
    • I am unclear as to why DAO interaction with NEAR dApps is a criteria for DAOs and why educating folks about how to use dApps is also a criteria base for creative DAOs. In my opinion, becoming a NEAR dApps educator is not the same as achieving the purpose and goals of a DAO. This does not seem like an appropriate assumed criteria as it is an added labor on top of the labor already being done by a DAO. In my opinion, these DAOs should be using their time and energy fulfilling their purpose. I also feel that including monthly usage of more than 3 dApps is an excessive expectation. This implies there will be monthly production of content to pump into these dApps. I feel (in alignment with the quarterly funding suggestion) DAOs should use dApps when they are appropriate for their projects rather than be forced to use them to gain metrics. dApps are developed to serve community needs, not the other way around.
  • Decentralization
    • I understand the scoring of the decentralization criteria yet want to mention that decentralization is an experiential process of learning that we should not force or rush. There is no one definition of DAOs - they can be small or large. It would be a shame to force one formation over others.
  • Activities are focused on artists’ support
    • First, I would shift the title of this criteria to accurately match the scoring to “Funds focused on external community building”. Funds can stay within a DAO and still support artists. Funds can stay within a DAO and still support community. I agree that distribution of funds should go beyond just council members but I do not see a problem with funds staying in the circle of members within a DAO. This criteria seems to be encouraging DAOs to extend their funds and energy to eternal community building which is valuable but I would hesitate to say it is necessary.
  • Clear and understandable reporting
    • Reporting is important. I believe in order to have high expectations with reporting we will need clear reporting examples and support - potentially writing & language assistance too. Clear communication is a skill that can be learned with the right guidance.
  • Clear price table
    • This seems clear to me. My only comment here is that determining the cost for certain tasks can be tricky, especially considering we all live in vastly different economic conditions that may charge a huge range of prices when it comes to certain tasks. I would encourage us not to devalue people’s work when it comes to pricing their skillsets.
  • Sustainable & DAO growth
    • After thinking deeply about sustainability, I have come to the knowing that not all DAOs will or should be self sustainable. Not all projects need to be businesses and while sustainability is an important aspect in continuing a project, making profit the centerpiece of all projects destabilizes the purpose and focused energy of majority artists. I believe roadmaps and goals are really great but making a project a business is really conflicting issue for creatives. This also excludes DAOs that may be project DAOs or short term projects. I believe we should expand our definition of growth, value and success beyond revenue generation.

Other Thoughts:

• I agree that quarterly milestone based funding is great to reduce rush and concentrate energy used in reviewing/writing proposals.

• I agree milestones are great ways to track progress and timelines. I would suggest for milestones to be created in collaboration between projects and reviewers and not become rigid structures that leave no room for fluid creativity, innovation and change.

• I would like to encourage everyone to expand our concept of art outside of just NFTs. There are infinite ways that artists can contribute and build the web3 world. Since we are in this molding phase there should be room for experimentation in the artistic expressions of our community to build not only sellable digital art but also make impact in experiences and conversations.

• I agree with others that centering outreach to external tiered artists feels outside the scope of what Creatives DAO should be focusing on. Sure, I can see how this could quickly build some attention towards the ecosystem but I am unsure how lantern that attention will be. It feels like scattered energy spent on hype. If NEAR truly wants to attract high level artists outside of the ecosystem that should be invested into in other forums and not placed as an extra labor onto current artists who are themselves creating.

Overall I think this proposal is pretty well rounded and address majority of the issues Creatives has been facing this year. The Miro board looks great with a lot of concise information and clear timelines. Thank you for your work @creativesdao-council :slight_smile:

9 Likes

You have really made a good and constructive points here… The dApps is an extra work to Daos

1 Like

The way I understood it its a specific project that a 3rd party team can do and NF would guarantee the funds to do it. No need to have DAOs involved unless they want to and have the necessary expertise.

We would just outsource it for our benefit…

3 Likes