Guilds' Tiering System: An evolutionary Path for Community Development

Agree. Thanks for bringing this up.

3 Likes

Hey @Grace much appreciated for giving strucrture to guilds further works. :sunny:

Have filled the form for budgeting Stars Guild week ago. Didn’t got no reply yet.

Who i should catch up on forum or TG to speed process of review? :innocent:

4 Likes

Hey! Do note that the NF has been on holiday from the 24th of Dec - 3rd of Jan, so if you filled it around then it mightn’t have been reviewed yet.

3 Likes

Got it!
Hopefully not till 9th January like in Russia :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Haha, unfortunately not! BAU now :100:

3 Likes

Well, at least they know how to party :partying_face:

3 Likes

this is a good one and will encourage hard work on the guilds, and will put all guild members at work, and will take the vission and mission of near protocol to the globe, i love the inovation in near protocol.

3 Likes

Had another chance to review and would like to add a couple more thoughts after listening to the office hours replay today. Sorry couldn’t make it - would have debated with @blaze :slight_smile:

Also, I neglected to mention in my first comments that this is another great initiative. Fun to see the evolutions as things ebb and flow and ideas come/go as experiments are run, adjusted and incrementally improved and/or abandoned. Right @blaze? (P.S. I know you secretly love the name guilds :slight_smile: )

Couple comments for consideration - focused mainly on the Tier 1/2 guilds. Actually three comments and a question.

Comment 1:

Is there scope for posting these reports/objectives in other locations? When guilds are getting to a Tier 1/2 level where they have built up established identities with legal entities around them, they are also probably concerned with branding, reputation, owing their own content, etc… Guild reports are good content and help build credibility for the guild with its members. Members who are not necessarily watching the gov forum, but are engaging with the guild on their own platforms by this point. Reports/objectives could be posted in multiple locations, but it’s duplicating work for the guild. If they must appear on the gov forum, perhaps a link from the forum to the guild’s own site where these things are categorized/posted and maintained may also be considered?

Comment 2

This is suggesting that all guilds need to have councils - is that the case? I’m wondering how that might conflict with legal entities. Depending on the entity type (e.g. sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation) that may cause some issues with anyone (regulators/govt, etc…) looking at how the guild runs. Perhaps the guild activities/way it’s run don’t warrant a full on leadership council at whatever stage they are at (even when they hit tier 1). I’m not a lawyer, but if you’ve structured around a sole-proprietorship but you’ve given people in your guild leadership decision capabilities - is it really a sole-proprietorship? Might be more suitable for something structured as a corporation with a board, but even then there is still a CEO making the decisions. If others are given that type of responsibility, do they become liable in those structures in the eyes of regulators/gov’t, etc… (and perhaps it varies by locale where the entity is created). Be curious if any legal input has been acquired to ensure this requirement meshes with the types of legal entities that would be acceptable.

Comment 3

Swarming - honestly, have never really been a fan at all. Get the idea/cross promote work, help each other market, but it also comes across as spammy especially when you get a request that may not necessarily line up with the values/beliefs of the guild. Sometimes it’s actually detrimental. I can remember at least one instance where we got burned by promoting an opportunity promising a prize/contest that was subsequently pulled after the announcement/swarming despite people having started work. That didn’t go over well and I wasn’t super impressed. We took a chance and it affected the guild’s reputation with its members - ultimately leaving it to us to pick up the pieces/decide whether to compensate members/rebuild that trust.

Have been around internet marketing long enough to make sure we’re only promoting the things that we actually have insight/believe in through use or due diligence. So, I personally have a big aversion to being asked to promote something with no real context or firsthand experience that has absolutely nothing to do with what we do. At minimum, needs to be some kind of linkage to something useful our members would get out of it.

Guess that’s the long way of saying that maybe a better metric than how many times the guild promoted something it was asked to promote without question in the community simply because its asked to is needed - focus more on something that measures how good a neighbour the guild is to its other neighbours or how it’s trying to make the entire guild ecosystem a better place/mentoring others in the space.

And the Question

I see the funding tiers for the Guilds but nothing about how that funding is accessed (unless I missed it). We’ve gone through iterations of discussing guild leader compensation on a continuous basis so they have a reliable stream, a process more akin to grants where initiatives are defined and funded monthly (huge amounts of admin/overhead on the guild for that), and more recent funding models around opportunities/after the fact reporting and approvals. How are you envisioning this funding being administered?

As always, sincerely appreciate the work you’re all doing to enable the guilds and all of us working to build on NEAR in whatever form. Thanks for continuing to push the improvements @Grace @mecsbecs @shreyas and the entire team. You all rock!

6 Likes

Thank you very much Grace! Great proposal for the tiering system to clarify certain differentiations for the progress of every guild. Keep up the good work :blush:

1 Like

@Grace how can I join the DAO council??

Where do I learn more about this? Would appreciate a link if someone can share or has insight

It might make it easier if monthly payout requests were done through a google form that includes a checklist e.g. submitted KYC, submitted initial guild funding proposal. Additionally, it should include a place to enter data and links for the guild’s metrics for that month. I imagine the data acquired in these google forms would be easier to categorize in a spreadsheet and verify than what has been done in the past. The spreadsheet could include columns where council members check if they approve the payout and an additional column which shows the exact payout transaction hash.

Maybe you have already done something like this already, I don’t know, I never heard back regarding my guild funding request but it seems a lot more streamlined then trying to keep up with the thousands of posts in this forum and replies.

1 Like

Hey @Grace
Maybe you can help with connecting the dots.
Have a specific question about NEAR Stars Guild.
I understand that it takes NEAR team to sort out applications and since new concepts of funding come in, it takes more timing.

Our idea is simple.
Since NEAR want’s guilds to become more self sustainable, i.e. that they should generate some profit (ideally) in long term.
We do love to work with youtubers, team grows and grows bigger, so only half of “agents” with their youtuber pack can be supported. Whatsoever, our mission is to support NEAR projects and guilds by giving them visibility trough youtubers and our twitter.
We respect funds that NEAR gives us and form minimum want to give most added value.

Idea for our guild is to start work on own project, cuz teammates have professional skills that as puzzle can be put together to bring something bigger out of it.

Let’s go with a sample, we want to launch a project built on NEAR by NEAR:

To launch this project (no matter, it can be another one) still this one has user adopion, is built on NEAR and is related to development. I’m a business mindset person, so growth is one of most important things and team should generate income.

Question might look like this.
Would it be reasonable to ask part of funding for work with influencers, our proposal for Marketing DAO as sample:

To fulfill our plans for boosting up NEAR and it’s realated products. This is part of expensess.
And second part for asking a budget for Guilds to create (or at least try) their own products like NEARKISS.PET auction trying to integrate there all the best what NEAR has?
So that passing by two months or three Guild can cover administration expenses by themselves when product will generate profit. At this point asking funding ONLY for youtubers, tiktokers etc. and some fee payments for our agents who work with same youtubers.

Hope you got the whole picture of concept that i want to show.
@David_NEAR since your an OG of NEAR and have a great business strategy mindset can you also give a comment.

P.S.
I understand that most of guilds are not in mindset how to generate profit. They do cool things for their communities, so most respect for their work.

Thanks @ALuhning I enjoy reading your feedback. You are absolutely right. Let’s find the metrics that allows everyone to assess if guilds are being good neighbours, have a positive intention to support projects and other guilds as our Ecosystem grows.

4 Likes

This road map is cool, and let do well to have a summarize achievement monthly publish on this platform for the various guilds we have in that every guild will be serious in taken the vision of near to the world.

Application is closed :pensive:

2 Likes

Thank you, @Grace, for your post. Let me ask you one thing? I just noticed that the forms to submit for a certain tiering are closed. How can we submit to go up on the tiering system? Thank you in advance for the attention.

Hey,

The tiering system is currently closed for applications whilst developments are made in regards to Guilds Funding. Team will share more info ASAP.

1 Like

Thank you, David. I will stay tuned!

1 Like

Waiting for updates…