[BOUNTY] Create a piece of art for the Philosophical Thought Experiment 3: Mary's Room

Hi everyone! here’s my entry

"Mary’s Room"

Mary’s Room is one of the thought experiments. It aims to show that there are things that can only be achieved through conscious experience like non-physical properties and attainable knowledge. She is confined to investigate a world from a black and white perspective. Now, what discovery can Mary unlock once she gets out of the black and white world?

elvatar02.near

3 Likes

My submission
Near Id: eliaszinas.near

Mary as a scientist, tries to understand why we recognize colors in their different forms. What constitutes for example, a color that is called red, green or blue, and how can they be viewed in a black and white room with different objects to look at.

3 Likes

Renzer Aguila
arkielharts.near
“PERSPICACIOUS”
This art represents the knowledge we can attain throughout experiences we encounter.
The colored part is the symbol of the colored world Mary knows where everything is colored and knowledgeable and the BnW part is where the experiment focuses. There are knowledge we can attain through experiments and experiences the only thing that matters is how we can understand and interpret it. We don’t know what we can learn in an environment if we don’t live in and with it. We can learn through everything we experience. Are there nonphysical properties and attainable knowledge that can be discovered only through conscious experience?
We don’t know things until we experience it
Doesn’t matter if it’s physical or non physical. Learn and discover.

7 Likes

Wonderful fam i can relate to this fam.

4 Likes

Good creativity… this is a good creative work​:heart:

5 Likes

Amazing illustration dear, great work

4 Likes

To answer the big questions are: what will happen when Mary is released from her black and white room or is given a color television monitor? Will she learn anything or not? It seems, however, that Mary does not know all there is to know. For when she is let out of the black-and-white room or given a color television, she will learn what it is like to see something red, say. This is rightly described as learning—she will not say “ho, hum.” Hence, physicalism is false. This is the knowledge argument against physicalism in one of its manifestations.

cedieee.near

19 Likes

Great piece of art! :fist:t6: Indeed, the non material properties of reality can only be discovered through conscious experience. Are shadows made of matter? Are dreams forms of matter? Only by acknowledging the depths of our subconscious can we uncover the mysteries of consciousness, imagination and paradigm.

3 Likes

There are many other sorts of knowledge, but the thought experiment only considers the physical variety. (Which a physicalist would include all other types.)

We could claim that she only possessed the kind that can be expressed symbolically (language, mathematics, etc). In that situation, there would be new things to learn, but she wouldn’t have “all the physical information,” therefore we’ve changed the premise (I’ve seen Philip Goff make this stipulation).

You may concentrate on the word “there is to attain” and argue that some physical knowledge cannot be acquired, even in theory, without first having the experience. If so, what examples come to mind? Would a robot be subject to the same restrictions? What is the difference, if not?

novie.near

6 Likes

If we take the phrase “all the physical information there is to obtain” literally, then Mary knows not only the facts relayed above, but every effect the stimulus will have on a human nervous system, including her own, every affective reaction, every association that will be triggered, both conscious and unconscious, every memory, every physiological reaction, as well as all their downstream effects.

jamilaa.near

4 Likes

“CHERUBIM”

Cherubim are often portrayed as human figures having four wings, and they are usually painted blue, which signifies knowledge or understanding. The most common responses philosophers of the physicalist persuasion give to the knowledge argument are based on the ‘new knowledge, old fact argument’.

NEAR WALLET: genvergara.near

5 Likes

But let’s say that Mary–being the super scientist that she is–has borderline godlike powers: she knows supreme realities beyond our wildest dreams. In that case, if you assume that experience is physical, she would be able to simulate the correct chemicals and processes in the brain as to actually experience (albeit hallucinate, without a real stimulus) the color red. By “simulate” here I mean to duplicate the biophysical processes in her brain that result in the perception of color. In such a case, Jackson’s argument would be wrong.

zavierarts.near

6 Likes

Artista: IagoDS - Iago Dorte Sousa

Carteira: iagods.near

Título: Expandindo horizontes

Descrição: Imagine você sendo um bebê dentro do útero da sua
mãe, qual é sua realidade de mundo? sim, seu mundo, sua verdade
é aquela que você está inserido, o mesmo aconteceu com Mary,
ao sair de sua realidade monocromática entre quatro paredes,
ela se depara com um mundo muito maior e repleto de cores,
cheiros e novas sensações, o calor do sol, o sabor de uma
fruta, o vento fresco que bate em sua pele e sacude seus fios
de cabelo, sim, a realidade de Mary acaba de se expandir.

A obra transmite a sensação de alguém dentro de uma espécie
de cubo, de uma sala fechada, com uma pessoa de perfil olhando
para a direita podendo ver um mundo em cores, a grama verde
o céu azul e o sol brilhando em tons de amarelo, iluminando e
aquecendo todos locais em que sua luz alcança.
Sua mão ganhando cor ao adentrar o novo universo, ela segura
uma maça vermelha com sua folhinha verde.
Dentro dessa cabeça de perfil existe uma abertura que mostra
seu interior, sua antiga realidade, uma sala monocromática com
uma TV exibindo a mesma cena de sua mão segurando a maça,
mas em preto e branco. Mary aparece dentro dessa sala com
seu corpo debruçado saindo dessa realidade, olhando para o
lado de fora, seu rosto, braço e corpo ganhando cor ao olhar
e sentir as sensações da nova realidade tomando conta de
todo seu ser.

3 Likes

Título: “Rosas para o quarto de Mary”
Proponente: Rosi Morokawa
rosasdulces.near

Como é ter a experiência de uma cor?

Muitos filósofos aceitam que as experiências têm um caráter fenomenal ou uma fenomenologia. Esse caráter fenomenal pode ser melhor entendido com a expressão “como é” ( what it is like ) para um sujeito realizar uma experiência. A expressão, que ficou conhecida a partir de Thomas Nagel (1974), pode ser entendida como aquele aspecto sensorial consciente do sujeito quando ele experiencia algo. Por exemplo, na experiência visual de uma rosa vermelha diante de mim, há algo para mim que é tal como ver a rosa vermelha quando realizo a experiência da rosa vermelha. De forma geral, entende-se que os eventos que envolvem os sentidos têm uma fenomenologia sensorial associada a eles.

Aceitar que há um caráter fenomenal não significa aceitar que teorias que defendem a existência dos qualia estejam corretas, ou tomar uma posição acerca do fisicalismo ou dualismo.

Se aceitamos que existe um caráter fenomenal da experiência, ainda nos restaria saber qual a relação entre esse caráter e o conhecimento. Muitos distinguem o conhecimento, ou conhecimento proposicional, da experiência fenomenal e, assim, distinguem a experiência de julgamentos.

Mary tem conhecimento conceitual sobre as cores, porém nunca teve a experiência de cores. Nesse caso, há algo novo que ela experienciará, pois haverá uma diferença fenomenal entre a experiência de seu quarto em preto e branco e a experiência de cores fora de seu quarto (ou em um TV a cores). Não sei se podemos dizer que ela conhece algo novo, no sentido de conhecimento proposicional. Mas penso que ela pode adquirir novos conhecimentos a partir desta experiência de cores.

A única coisa que eu poderia afirmar é que há uma diferença fenomenal entre as experiências de Mary, no sentido explicado no primeiro parágrafo acima. Podemos testar essa diferença na imagem que produzi a partir de uma gravura em metal (água-tinta, impressa sobre papel). Se tapamos com algo uma de suas partes, podemos ter a experiência de uma imagem em preto e branco e outra de uma imagem em vermelho e ainda a experiencia das duas juntas, se as observamos lado a lado. As duas imagens possuem a mesma forma, a única diferença entre elas é a cor vermelha. No entanto, a cor vermelha presente em uma delas nos faz ter uma experiência fenomenalmente distinta da outra. Para mim, esse é um ponto de partida para investigarmos as outras questões.

Quase no final do tempo, essa é a minha contribuição! Parabéns a todas as propostas, esse tema é realmente instigante! :star_struck::rose: :sparkles: :raised_hands:

4 Likes

This bounty is closed. We are going to choose the winners and bring here soon.
<3

2 Likes

Hi guys! yesterday I opened the near forum through browse Microsoft edge, and in the upper right corner of each art there is an icon to track the image, and I decided to check it out. To my surprise, 3 proposals are not originals, they are almost unaltered copies of other pictures from the internet. :angry:So, shall we please avoid this? Whoever is creating, create your original proposal, please? :wink:

5 Likes

Thank you so much, @rosasdulces. Could u point which ones?

1 Like

@cengaver, art ‘time is slipping away’
@Jamilaa.near, art s/t
@genvergara.near, art “CHERUBIM”

cengaver.near
genvergara.near
Jamilaa.near

From internet:

3 Likes

Thank you, @rosasdulces.

We will not be able to accept any of the plagiarized works. Please, we ask all artists to respect the rules, respect the authorship, and use ONLY ORIGINAL WORKS MADE BY YOURSELF.

At the next bounty, anyone who submits plagiarized pieces of art will be excluded from the contest and also blacklisted from our bounties, as a security measure to protect the dao. As the pieces of art are minted at the dao store, it is a danger concerning copyrights that we mint pieces of art from copied artists. We hope all of you understand our measure. Thank you

4 Likes

My fault, i used the image on the internet as my reference, I’m very sorry :pensive: about that. Heres the proof that I manually drawn it maybe some people call it referencing, however it is still my fault my apologies

4 Likes