(Posting this on behalf of @Arto and his crew behind Cypherpunk Guild)
The Guild’s vision is directly aligned with NEAR’s vision, and the Guild’s mission is to establish an effective, ownership-driven grants program to fund cypherpunk initiatives supporting NEAR’s mission. We are requesting a 100K NEAR token endowment for 2021 through the NEAR Guilds Program.
Cypherpunks are advocates for the widespread use of strong cryptography and technologies that enhance privacy and self-sovereignty. Cypherpunks invented/created the EFF, PGP, SSL, SSH, BitTorrent, Tor, WikiLeaks, Bitcoin, smart contracts, Zcash, and Signal, among other notable achievements.
Accordingly, we plan to solicit, evaluate, and fund projects that increase and promote individuals’ privacy, security, and self-sovereignty with regards to their data and their funds, warmly welcoming cypherpunks and privacy-first initiatives into the NEAR community and ecosystem.
The future direction for the Guild is aimed towards becoming a full-fledged incubator for privacy ventures, in partnership with parties such as Cypherpunk Holdings. Let’s get the Guild off the ground first, though.
- Put money where our mouth is: the NEAR vision & mission require a strong commitment to privacy, and funding this Guild will unequivocally demonstrate that.
- Send a strong message and stand out from the rest of the pack, which will undoubtedly result in industry headlines and open doors for strategic partnerships—as we already now have in the works with established big players such as Cypherpunk Holdings, the 9th largest public BTC holder in the world.
- Take ownership of getting private transactions delivered, as the guild’s first overarching top priority. Every NEAR investor wants this feature delivered.
- Establish NEAR as a credible platform for privacy-first projects, bringing interest from current users of chains such as Zcash and Monero. There aren’t L1 smart-contract platforms with good privacy, affording NEAR a current first-mover opportunity here.
- Raise the visibility and credibility of NEAR in the cryptocurrency realm overall. Already, a number of influential digital cash pioneers and cryptocurrency OGs have begun paying attention to NEAR after the hiring of Arto and Frank.
- We request an initial 100K NEAR token endowment (allocation) for 18 months (Q1 2021/Q2 2022).
- We would request fund transfers from the NF from this endowment monthly (or quarterly, going forward) based on planned expenditures.
- To get us off the ground, we would request a $10K (in NEAR) transfer the first month.
- We’d plan to request all fund tranfers in NEAR tokens, no fiat whatsoever.
- Internal project lead: Yulian.
- External project lead: Steve Cobb (one of the founders of the Free State Project), retained as a contractor (initially half-time).
- Mon, Feb 15: 4NTS’s Humans of NEAR interview with Arto published
- Wed, Feb 17: 4NTS’s Humans of NEAR interview with Frank published
- Tue, Feb 23: Cypherpunk Guild announcement blog post published
- Wed, Feb 24: 4NTS blog post: Cypherpunk Guild Launches on NEAR: Privacy Advocates, It’s Time To Pay Attention
- Thu, Feb 25: NEAR Privacy Roundtable with Frank on the panel
- Fri, Feb 26: 4NTS’s Humans of NEAR interview with Joshua, the “godfather of proof-of-stake”, published
- Sat, Feb 27: 4NTS’s NEAR Without the Noise podcast with Arto & Frank
- TBA: Zero Knowledge podcast with Anna Rose & Frank
Voting and quorum thresholds:
<2K$ - 1X Yes - no minimum quorum (* quorum defined as min number of members needed for the vote to be valid)
2-10K$ - 2X Yes - no min quorum
10-30K$ - 3X Yes - min quorum 4 of 7 - 4X members should vote in either direction
Above 30K$ requires Erik or Illia’s additional approval (Head of NF/Chairman of NFC)
Above 100K$ requires NEAR Foundation Council approval