NEAR Ecosystem Treasury DAO

Here are some ideas to combine prediction market with a Dao to make the delegation (aka “expert” selection) more meaningful.

Following @jlwaugh : “Anyone may submit a reasonable “Payout” proposal in order to see what people think.” I came up with the following thoughts:

Prediction Markets

Prediction markets (also called: information markets) are vehicles for aggregating financially backed sentiment about the expected outcome of a future event [1]. Similar to polls there are two types: categorical (e.g. red, green, blue, yellow) and binary (yes, no) [2].

The voting function of any DAO is typically used to make an informed and well-balanced decision by a group of people. This decicion making usually includes a deliberation step through discussion on proposals [3].

How exactly users would have to describe their proposals so they can be resolved by a market is still an open task. Some examples for valid (“don’t resolve as invalid.”) proposals can possibly be adapted from [2].

Deliberation

The term “experts” is sometimes used for a group of people who are most powerful or just the loudest.

pol.is [4] is used for used agenda construction (what to vote on) and (quoted from [5]): “RxC Voice aims to incorporate other components as well: delegation of responsibility, deliberation, and ballot construction.” and in the “Delegation Stage will … distribute voice credits”.

RxC solves the delegation by equally (or by any fair metric) distributing voice credits by humans. What I am proposing here is a Staking step before Deliberation and Voting to select the “experts” for a given task:

Prediction markets could be potentially a way to put “voice credits” (knowledge / information / gut feeling) at stake to benefit the community in the expert selection step.

Links

[1] https://xdai.omen.eth.link/faq.pdf
[2] https://xdai.omen.eth.link/rules.pdf
[3] [Proposal] GR10 Matching Pool: Use Gitcoin to build GitcoinDAO - 📜 Proposal Discussion - Gitcoin Governance

[4] https://pol.is/
[5] Introducing RxC Voice - RadicalxChange

To hopefully support this thoughts more please let me quote Jero from the RxC community:

5 Likes

pretty cool approach, reminds me of this conversation with Ralph Merkle here: EB141 – Ralph Merkle: Revolutionizing Democracy Using DAOs - YouTube

4 Likes

Is it possible to configure quadratic voting without a DID so that “fake voters” do not appear?

I joined NEAR recently and still confused about DAO operation and governance. With all my respect, I think these are a lot confusing about concept of DAO. the simple way to define DAO governance is DAO = Dis-agreement offer. This will make the concept of DAO governance is more simple to be understood and explained. We can input to using DAO by a proposal/offer and the output is a dis-agreement.
Example: We create 2 chairs for each DAO (each chair need a mount of $NEAR exp. 100M $NEAR, anyone can seat on the chair if they collected consensus of 100M $NEAR). The input need 1 chair, and output also need only one chair. if output chair is no one seated, it means proposal/offer is approved. By this way, all members can participate in input/output chair and stop the DAO anytime if they feel the project is not good enough. if the project is successful, the input chair can get some reward from project bet.
This suggestion is only initial ideal about how to governance on DAO and NEAR foundation, it is very hard to explain clearly by wording for me. if you think it is useful, we can discuss further.

1 Like

I want to propose to use our DAO tool to deploy the Ecosystem Treasury DAO.

We recently got a NEAR grant to build Better, which is live on testnet (https://near-testnet.betterhq.org/) using Sputnik v2 contracts to coordinate voters, users, funders and builders around improving NEAR DApps. We also propose to extend our tool to integrate into Github, for a more transparent and scalable grants program: [Discussion] Moving Grants to Github - #10 by CChris

Our tool is Open Source and easily forkable, benefiting communities of any size and suiting the DAO of DAOs approach.

Here is how Better can implement the Ecosystem Treasury DAO:

1. Run applications for DAO Members and Chair

Better allows

• Anyone to apply as DAO member or chair on a dedicated Better landing page
  • Applicants to add any helpful information
  • Anyone to vote on applications using their NEAR wallet
  • Anyone to stake NEAR on applicants
  1. Break down structure into subDAOs

Once the Treasury DAO is set up, Better allows anyone to open a subDAO. The UI is easily customizable, which allows for different use cases like content marketing bounties, product roadmap prioritization, or transparent grants programs.

Integration between subDAOs and the main DAO gives small, agile groups the freedom to implement their ideas, while keeping decisions transparent and accountable.

1. Provide community funding as strong signal

Better allows funding per individual idea / proposal. Which allows for skin-in-the-game signals for further funding.

We could allow anyone to fund a proposal. And similar to Gitcoin grants, match the funding amount from the community treasury, eg. via quadratic funding.

Additionally, we could use onchain reputation to whitelist accounts for funding.

1. Match ideas with builders

Better allows anyone to submit ideas, and matches them with other community members who can implement it, like builders or content creators.

Imagine the NEAR jobs platform, plus a landing page with a list of proposals that can be worked on.

3 Likes

Sounds great, but I don’t think (not a legal professional, can’t say for sure) that all of this is feasible at this point.

The reason is that the funding process for individuals, projects, and guilds is changing to become more legally compliant.

Consequently, we (the NF) won’t be distributing funds directly through DAOs.

1 Like

I think that is a great idea. Decentralizing the grant process will allow for efficiency gains. We @ Cofund are creating and launching soon tool for these grant diving DAOs to make their life easier.

2 Likes

Hi @Phil decentralizing and automating payouts is the way forward. I see that Cofund is being built on Superfluid which I believe is based on the Ethereum blockchain.

Do you have plans to integrate Cofund with the NEAR blockchain?