Live changes to neard - how should it work?

There are more and more use cases that would benefit from being able to ‘live-change’ the running neard binary (from enabling/disabling debug, changing number of peers, planning a shutdown at a given height etc etc).

There are 3 approaches that we’re considering, and we’re curious for the community feedback (especially from people who are running validator nodes).

• create ‘dynamic-config.json’ file – that would live next to ‘config.json’. And it would be read either on each change, or when process receives signal.
  • open a separate port - to which you could send RPC requests that would modify the config.
  • add another ‘path’ to the :3030 port (same way how we have a ‘debug’ path there) - and have RPC served there.

The changes that can be done via this API will BE DANGEROUS - so we want to make sure that we pick the method that is easiest for you to secure.

2 Likes

I haven’t used the blacklist feature, but we had an issue on another chain were that would have been helpful.

Any chance of swapping keys in real time?

Prior art: we already support dynamic config for logging:

If we had mechanism like this, then things like swapping keys (I assume you’re talking about the validator keys?) would be technically possible.

(But there are some other considerations - from message routing, to approval heights etc).
If this is something that you’re interested in - let’s create a separate topic and we can discuss the details there.

2 Likes

Ok - as there were no strong suggestions or preferences over the last week - I’d suggest going with the option that @matklad mentioned – having a separate config file that would be read when process receives a signal.