Following updates given by @blaze on the NDC, @Dabbie3229 and I have been able to come out with this Community Engagement draft for the community to look to have their say for a final document to work with.
NDC COMMUNITY CODE OF CONDUCT
Given the diversity of the NEAR community members in terms of race, age, experience, and location, there has been richness added to the community, and due to this, and the future looked at, there needs to be a set of things to look unto as a united body in working together. This is not a ring that everyone is boxed into but something we all should refer to as a strategic manner of interaction to drive us to the NEAR future.
These codes apply anywhere you work or deal with members of the NEAR community.
- Online spaces. Includes Telegram, Discord, Reddit, and the forum.
- NEAR events, off and in-person events
- Working with other community members
- When speaking of the NEAR Ecosystem in open spaces
- When representing the NEAR Ecosystem at offline and in-person events
The NEAR Ecosystem is an open place where anyone can contribute by active or passive participation, regardless of age, race, location, experience, gender, personality, and religion. In this vein, the NEAR ecosystem grows faster and richer.
To achieve this, it is necessary to have a safe ground for all, and hence, we see that everyone should consider the following.
USE OF LANGUAGE
In dealing with people all around the world, we have to be cautious of the use of language as many unharmful methods of speech aren’t bad in some areas but bad in others. A community member MUST use a moderate method of speech in dealing with others.
Every member of the community must take into account that people could get offended by your method of presentation. Hence, apologies as needed, and take corrections for future purposes.
You must learn to accept that every member of the community holds every other person accountable for actions and answers to unclear situations. Hence, you have to do well to answer respectably.
BE ON POINT BUT REMAIN DECENT
While working, reporting, and answering others can be difficult as people respond to things differently, it is required that you can still present your view, and speech in fairness of speech and not react to how things are thrown at you. This will make it easier for even others to understand you better.
CARRY EVERYONE ALONG
It is proven that two heads are better than one. Hence, lean to NOT always feel to be right, even though you think you are. Remember that diversity brings better and faster growth.
Learn to allow others to present their views regardless of what you think. This will help others grow and meet up the pace with you as time gives us all a chance.
ABILITY TO SPEAK AND BE SILENT
While speaking is a choice, being silent is also. Remember that you can choose not to speak on a matter at all (NOT WHEN YOU HAVE TO REPORT TO THE COMMUNITY). This could be due to a sensitive discussion or one that could get you off your decency in speech. You are free to let the community know and be silent for the time you feel like it.
You should not think everyone will always talk, or address issues the way you will. Even when you are wrong or they are. This will help in accepting people and give room for growth.
DO AS YOU SAY
As we pursue the NEAR future, you should always lead the activity of transparency as you demand others this will make things easy for others to follow good examples. Growth cannot be achieved with just positive vibes by words and no suitable actions.
NEAR community gives no room for violence and you should not find yourself doing such either o or offline. Lo, you need to note that being passive in the act of violence is also not accepted. You should also not insight someone else to be violent or be self-violent.
As we seek this growth together, we will often disagree about many vies but this doesn’t give room for personal or collective attacks. This has no room in the community and should be a no-go area for everyone that seeks to be part of the community.
The community shall not condone any foul language that has to do with age, gender, religious, racial, economic status, social background, health, sex, etc. to avoid creating discrimination by use of words, stay away from words you are not sure of
Activities during on and offline events that are against other people’s private space or choice WON’T be tolerated. These are such as;
- Excessive use of alcohol or other recreational foods by oneself or pushing others to do so.
- Making gest of people who abstain from intake of certain recreational liquids, pushing them to drink, and talking to others about people’s choice of not taking these drinks.
- Giving negative words or gestures about people’s choices
- Inappropriately exposing one’s sensitive body parts or pushing others to do so
- Making gest of people’s dietary choices.
- Championing ill behaviour
Those who engage in these will be treated in the same way as these activities are treated.
This document is subject to any form of changes as the community deems fit. This isn’t to give room for some certain ill activities but to make the space a better place for interaction.
NDC COMMUNICATION TOOLS: WHEN/HOW TO USE THEM
In our quest for growth and decentralisation, which has been achieved to the point we’re at today, we need certain guides that will regulate where we have certain activities for clarity and openness.
With the fact that we have social spaces such as Twitter, Telegram, Reddit, Discord, the Governance Forum, etc, we need to know where to talk about what and when. By this, we are going to categorize these spaces into two.
- The Governance forum
- The Social media spaces.
THE GOVERNANCE FORUM
As the name implies, this should be a place where
- Key decisions about the ecosystem are talked about and decided on. This is not to throw an open space for others to beat down the enthusiasm of others but help in the growth of the ecosystem.
- Community members get support to carry out community-related activities to grow the ecosystem
- Projects who have received grants report to the community the stages of their milestone. This is to help both new projects and the community interact and offer help/solutions where and when needed.
- Conflicts between community members that are gone out of hand are resolved amicably.
- Ecosystem updates are first posted for community awareness. This is for all updates that have some negative implications if not followed. Such as when there are upgrades that will take a while before community members start using certain products.
NOTE: New forum accounts should not be taken seriously except after a proper introduction that is verifiable. Not necessarily identity verification but engagement verification in terms of proof of work within the ecosystem or community onboarded from. This shall help in giving a direction to where everyone is coming from.
SOCIAL MEDIA SPACES
These spaces are both for the general public and community members. Hence, not all activities should be carried out in them. Such as including activities such as:
- Inter project partnership announcements
- Project activities for community growth and marketing
- Communication of project’s details to the outside world, etc
- Conflict resolution with fellow community members
- Sell out of community members
- Fake identity. This has to do with members of the community who aren’t employees of the NF posing with tags that present them as employees.
- A place of financial advice
WHO SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO DO WHAT?
Given the chase for a perfectly decentralised community, this question is very important. We can observe that the community has three strategic sets of people.
- The experienced
- The enthusiastic
- The pure novices
While we can’t exempt anyone from being part of the community, strategic situations or positions should be filled within the choices for learning and mass building.
These are those who have what it takes to handle the community due to their past works and can also be categorized into a. Those behind the scene and b. Those regular on the forum and other media handles.
Within this category, much can be said and done but for decentralisation to have its place, they all have equal opportunities to take the bull by the horn. Such can take leadership positions in strategic offices within the community
These are those who have a mild knowledge of the ecosystem and are eager to learn and contribute to the growth of the system. These are allowed to get engaged in community expansion activities to get used to the ecosystem and method of doing things. This means such can’t hold certain key positions except being employed officially. For example, heading strategic positions that affect the ecosystem much more heavily.
These sets are purely new to the system and only have to take time to follow communities built and get their hands on tools within the community to grow their knowledge and presence.
We can’t for the sake of decentralisation put key positions into the hands of an unknown person, given that the forum doesn’t have a 100% guarantee of identity verification. However, consistency on the forum brings a level of trust.
Hence, what and what could be used to test who should handle what?
- Wallet stat gallery to prove especially AstroDAO activities
- Verified identity by NF
- Three to five months old and active profile on the forum with tangible contributions to ecosystem growth
- Known within the ecosystem projects, guilds, and or communities.
- Have a good record of using community funds and answering to the community.
Every position that has to do with community engagement shall be rotated after six months to allow other community members to make their contributions to the ecosystem.
This shall always be a council of six persons who shall be involved in handling
- Conflict resolution
- Work with the NEAR Core in handling guild operations in terms of community work points.
- Verify the Early project report on the forum
- Set out a further road map for the community
The purpose for which the Near Digital Collective is organized is to be consistent with the aims and objectives of decentralisation as pursued by the Near Blockchain and web3 at large. Achieving core decentralisation is quite tricky but can be remotely executed…
Given this, the rules are set to guide our organisation towards maintaining a peaceful environment for peaceful coexistence amidst the Near Protocol community.
Hence, a committee shall be set separately for conflict resolution. This committee shall comprise six council members who have proven to have active and good listening skills.
Hence, if two community members are engaged in disputes in the forum, the involved community members are expected to present their disputes to the Conflict Resolution Committee.
It shall be the committee’s work to convene a meeting between the involved community members.
They shall be keenly listened to and judgment shall be passed thus:
The defaulter is compelled to render a written apology to the other community member with a promise of better conduct in the future.
If the defaulter refuses to apologize, he or she shall receive a monthly Ban from the forum. Therefore he or she will not be permitted to:
- Participate in any forum discussions
- Participate in any forum deliberation nor
- Participate in any forum engagements.
- He or she shall not be allowed to post or participate in any bounty.
After one month’s Ban, he or she is expected to return to the forum with a written apology and be ready to sign an undertaking.
On no account should any community member bring up a private misunderstanding to the forum, unless the misunderstanding directly or indirectly affects the workforce around the community.
Thanks and looking forward to every suggestion.