The Metamorphosis of Creatives DAO

This is really brilliant @Cryptonaut I commend the efforts made to write this interesting article.
I think “Art-techNationDao” has a nice ring to the name but a change of name isn’t really what I think we need now. “Creatives Dao” as the name is beautiful and I think we should implement these new initiatives as well as other brilliant initiatives that are coming up under the Creatives Dao as we proceed. P.S, I don’t know if a change of name would boost or drive our new mandates as a creative community increasing our relevance with NF and other soon-coming stakeholders to the Dao, I would say this is a brilliant idea and I support it.

3 Likes

Thank you @Hawwal.

The name like you said is irrelevant. It’s more of a statement while we are entering this new era, however a non issue.

I’m happy to see your support.

Sharing detailed explanation soon.

2 Likes

Hii everyone

Much appreciated @Cryptonaut @frnvpr @williamx @Paul @sarahkornfeld for the energy so far in contributing to this restructuring process, I feel the Think Tank initiative is another means of getting pieces to fill the puzzle also we have a call scheduled today which everyone is invited but however I can share my thoughts and ideas regards to this Metamorphosis and other posts regards to the progress of the CreativesDAO.

I have been very observant from the first day I joined the NEAR ecosystem which is from testnet of Mintbase and early days of NEAR DAOs and some things can go beyond personal efforts especially if the builders voice is not heard or considered to help. We are all learners and builders as far as web3 is concerned. For me the change of name matters cos it changes the mindset of everyone building under the umbrella to a new structure which in business terms referred to as branding so I agree with the Tech in the Art DAO just because it goes beyond art but the tech is fully inclusive for all to experiment with or build with.

Firstly, we need legally registered DAOs in our vertical DAO or help the existing ones become one which will enable us tap into the global creative economy and grow outside of NF grants and each DAO should have a legal representative to professionally document collaborations, partnerships or endorsements for posterity sake and encourage seriousness.

Secondly, physical creative and operational space which will enable proper orientation about our DApps, vision and terminologies which is another barrier that can cause misinterpretation of NFTs, blockchain and web3 generally. It could be one NEAR certified HQ in various regions where we have operational DAOs to go to for learning, project kickoff zone or go to space when needed for project collaboration or partnership, also creating employment of staffs working seriously towards the success of the roadmap while payment activities, votes and other activities are recorded on the blockchain using the AstroDAO functionality and others that might be developing in the future, it will also onboard the already established web2 celebrities we target and keep things organized with their Mods facilitating the progress and responsibilities involved.

Thirdly, DAOs can collectively collaborate and draft a legal partnership ( % splits ) to host irl/Metaverse events with ticketed NFTs ( Could be free ) to teach and onboard users into using their DApp and Defi projects they’re building on amongst everything Wallet security and the right perception of the NFTs community which is the next thing we can aim at after finalizing on documenting a few collaboration paperwork with our legal representatives to separate emotions from business because imho there’s need to recognize that sustainability without the term “business” is not complete generally we are working to save for future needs and longevity maintenance of the DAOs.

Saving 25% of grants for NF through the tiers is fine but needs to be solidly documented outside of the ecosystem. Also happy to see the marketingDAO evolving with us on this journey to grow and proof working. Having regional Mod is a great idea and I’ll be happy to help represent from my African community if given the opportunity when the time is right, decentralization can be subjective i think but it simply means fairness to everyone imo but there’s diversity in regions that needs to be considered while building and the need for a project like NDC is good to come into existence as it will help reduce indecency, hate, racism and the way outsiders perceive what we are building.

Finally, everyone is trying but i hope the time is right to be hopeful and intentional towards how we treat each other and what we want our future to be.

Peace

11 Likes

hiiii, thank you for this and thank you to everyone that has contributed so far. this is an exciting time…after this we’d have evolved!!! i love that for us.
i have to say i agree with the reasoning behind a lot of these ideas and i want to add some of mine.
also, as much i like written communication, i also enjoy speaking. it would be nice if everyone here joins the next think-tank happening today. we can all use our voices…literally.

anywayyy, here are some ideas i have:

at the end of every quarter, “cohort” projects —decided across all tiers of individuals and daos
are spotlighted by the creative dao itself. this way the whole community can rally around and support stand-out projects. it would also drive healthy competition.

the projects are selected based on the possible impact (not number of members), the ease of newbies to interact with it and any other criteria that works.

i propose two regional mods, where they both handle frequent check-in’s with all daos in the region, learn their needs, get immediate update on changes, give advices, compile reports and nominate projects that should be spotlighted.
the presence of both can act as a protective layer to personal biases from either.

we need all daos to take on fixed responsibilities—especially those > tier2

• open-sourced data: daos should always have information ready available for the greater community in their channels.
    knowledge on their learnings and process in leveling up. the information will serve as an educative tool that everyone interested can have access to without needing to ask anyone. just go to the guild and read up on information that will help you.

-weekly check-in’s with regional mods: this check-in will create a bird eye view of the ecosystem. workshops will hit pain-points directly, there will be one-on-one assistance, and there will be involvement in the projects from scratch to finish.

-create a marketing plan for projects: it’s time to give more attention to marketing. imagine if daos are expected to come up with marketing strategy for every approved project, and they are guaranteed 1/3 of the funding from the marketing vertical. this means if the project costs $3000, they have to come up with a marketing strategy that can cost up to $1000— remember that this strategy will be vetted by the mods during check-ins.
this way, when the creatives dao interacts with the marketing dao, they wouldn’t feel the need to “judge” the project and its credibility, instead they focus on helping with strategizing and sharpening the approach— and even if they do, the guaranteed 1/3 allows the creatives dao go ahead with projects they believe in.

• optimal roadmap: this might be easier to get after daos feel legally protected enough to share, but yes, it should be the responsibility of daos to present their roadmaps or atleast expected deliverables over a period.

which brings me to this:

i think this should be discretionary. the pause shouldn’t be compulsory. if a dao wants to continue to create monthly reports and proposals they should be able to as long as they deliver optimally.
also, the moderators can urge a much needed pause.

i even think daos should be able to take pauses to request for lump sums. following the advisory of the moderators, a tier 1 dao for instance can wait a month to collect two months funding at once and execute a project that needs it.

i understand this, but i think nf will benefit more from us focusing on creating plans that make them money instead of on saving them money.
we do not want to end up boxing ourselves in by increasing our responsibilities and reducing funding.

i was also wondering if nf has a treasury with a wallet, we could remit 0.5% - 1% on projects funded by nf. and if we rally around the quarterly creative “cohort” projects we get a higher chance of generating more funds.
this would keep them engaged with us and could change the dynamic of our relationship (creatives dao and nf)

also, imagine if daos > tier3 can request above their band, the request could come from this treasury and they will be expected to pay back up to 1/2 of the surplus with a year.

creatives dao needs to be positioned as the stars/attractors that it is. they aren’t sold on the impact of creatives dao, we need to continue to stir the narrative of our value. and be careful of further sidelining ourselves.

this is an excellent idea!

we can’t say we believe that an artist in web3 needs only 100 fans for sustenance then turn around and raise the bar so high. these numbers are too high in my honest opinion.

i don’t think this name is bad​:joy: i’m tending more towards art and innovation instead of art, technology and community, so i’m looking forward to ideas in that direction.
i also think we can leave is as creatives daos.

@NatalieCrue @sarahkornfeld i think you both will be interested in this conversation :hugs:

4 Likes

Great to witness the evolution of Creatives DAO! I’d like to contribute a couple of points.

1. Creatives DAO as a brand has 1,246 followers on Twitter. We could keep the Creatives DAO title and have Art, Tech & Innovation as the headline and mission statement rather than start from scratch.

2. DAOs should be the drivers of more DAOs. As projects and communities get funded I’m sure there will be some who want to take things to the next level. This is where DAOcubator and AstroDAO @starpause could be of assistance, so members can graduate, make room for new people and contribute to growing the ecosystem.

I’d also like to recommend connecting with @ADAM4Artists. I think Creatives DAO can become a great curator of all the amazing projects within its umbrella and create more traction to the program and its socials. We don’t yet have a dedicated account focused on sharing and highlighting the creatives in the ecosystem.

Peace!

18 Likes

@Dedeukwu Thank you for your wisdom and leadership. You offered so many strategic and practice ideas here, it’s so valuable. Thank you as well @reespect – you have some additionally wise insights in your response. And, yes, we are having another Best Practices Think Tank at 10:30 am PST US – link and agenda here – ALL WELCOME:

I’d just like to say how important both of the proposals put forth here by @Paul and @Cryptonaut are for collective wisdom and consideration – additionally, what people have added make the effort so impactful, considered, and wise.

Leadership is about recognizing the past, and not being afraid to change. That is being shown by everyone, and I think it’s important to note sustainability is also a state of mind: it’s a constant evolution towards taking your work (and the work of others) seriously, it’s taking a fearless inventory of both your insecurities as well as your healthy ambition, and it’s being open to finding ways to support all this creatively and economically.

Web3 seems to offer some incredible ways to expand both creative and economic practice, but it’s like that cliche – Train tracks were laid down over the alps before a train could actually climb that high, they simply planned for it. That’s what I think is happening here, and it’s hard, and can be filled with conflict (based on the fear the future naturally brings) as well as victory (overcoming fear and trying a new experiment).

Really so happy to be a part of this process, thank you.

4 Likes

we build white-label marketplaces…js.

1 Like

Guys, you did a wonderful job here. FraDAO would like to thank you for all your energy and time in putting it all together for us. It will be a great metamorphosis! We are also very grateful for the opportunity to share our thoughts.

The road to self-sustainability has proven to be longer than we initially imagined, and we reiterate FraDAO’s commitment to continue working hard to build this meaningful NEAR community together.

Some comments we’d like to share:

1- The monthly/quarterly report is a great tool, not just for moderators, but especially for ourselves. We spent long hours writing and reading the reports.

However, board members are overloaded with extra time to manage DAO initiatives, metrics, our own members, plus implement the proposed roadmap.

Perhaps a pre-formatted, easy-to-fill Report sheet (and following our previous steps) would make it easier for everyone - with less copying/pasting and repeated information. Every time we run the board, everything has to be explained to newbies (a considerable loss of productivity). Our DAO has many artists, but very few have managerial skills. Do you think it would be possible to build a standardized report form?

2- Our DAO is mainly focused on onboarding - even our educational events/workshops aim to grow the community with quality members (eg. professional artists to produce in the metaverse).

So if our success metrics is based on revenue generation, we would have to drastically change our mission and membership profiles.

Having a lot of inactive members or web2-only artists can make a DAO look popular, but building an active community takes time and resources, as we all know. Integration is not about web2 social media engagement or distributing NEAR tokens, but keeping those tokens moving - making them popular. That’s value, for the ecosystem. We fully agree with the proposed funding structure.

Thanks once again!
@PatriciaB @Narau @frado

2 Likes

Awesome, I’ll update it here: Near Coin là gì? Tổng hợp thông tin chi tiết về tiền điện tử NEAR

Hi everyone,
@jlwaugh is helping me create a miro board to visually simplify this complex looking document :sweat_smile:

A part of it is complete and another half is being worked on. We’ll finish this by tomorrow.

Once completed I will update you all here and on the telegram group, so you can review it, revise and suggest changes if needed.

It is taking a while to complete this, as simplification, I realised, is a bit demanding.

I really appreciate all the feedback, support and patience.

For some feedback shared which I haven’t responded to,( @zeitwarp @Dedeukwu @reespect )once I have this Miro board ready I’d like you to review it and if you still have questions, I’d be happy to get respond.

12 Likes

Hello @Cryptonaut
I’ve been reading and slowly understanding things here
I appreciate a lot what @Dedeukwu pointed in his comment, thank you.

But I want to point something that is making some noise in my thoughts, about this:

I do not think it’s Creatives DAO role, to onboard mainstream artists. It could be something from NF Marketing, if is their aim. Creatives, as a DAO of DAOs, should be focused in empower this community from inside. Provide structure and elements for the DAOs here to grow, to build on web 3, and so…
Onboard tier 1 and 2 artists, I think is a specific job, not related to creatives, maybe it will be a loss of energy instead of working with and inside the community that already exists.
Still reading and hope can contribute more soon.

11 Likes

Hello Everyone,

Please go through the miro board presentation showcasing next steps for creatives DAO.

These are ideas that we can accept, modify or reject. It is all upto how the community decides.

Please participate so we can finalise things one step at a time and meet NF to work on resuming the funding.

@JulianaM - hope this visual representation helps.

10 Likes

Hi everyone
today’s meeting was very important to understand better this process

as I wrote on telegram:
looking to this, I’d like to suggest review the timeline
think that we do not need do start ambassadors role right now.
maybe it’s better to focus on marketing and on the structure inside, as the dapp, the evaluation sheets and so
and put the ambassadors process for next year
we will need time, disponibility, people and a lot of work
also to analise the sheet, because the two proposals took a lot of time to be understood

thank you all for the insights and ideas shared

9 Likes

Web3 Infra Support and MVC milestones - Google Sheets](Web3 Infra Support and MVC milestones - Google Sheets)

I’m making an effort to follow everything that is being proposed and debated here. I would like to collaborate more actively, but this is especially difficult when you have to balance work and children… I appreciate all your dedication. :bouquet:
In general I think that the proposals are coherent, but
I didn’t understand well this sheet, @ritamaria, @cryptonaut could you put it in context for me, please?

In this metamorphosis, how will can DAOs working on dapp development for Creatives benefit from the funding available to the community?

5 Likes

Hi @Cryptonaut

Thanks for putting the Miro together :+1:

I’ve had a look around and followed the strategic path through it…but I’m starting to agree with the observation made by @ritamaria (above)

Obviously there is self-interest here…but I think that outreach to ‘external tier 1, tier 2 “name” creatives’ perhaps shouldn’t be part of the creatives dao remit. It does fell more like a separate initiative that NF might want to pursue through a different channel.

As i said above, i can understand the strategy…but it feels like a high-risk speculative move to try to secure growth quickly…by rewarding the ‘already successful’ on a short term basis…with the hope of long term trickle down benefits to the majority already working within the ecosystem

We’ve just had an interesting four week economic/political experiment with something like that in the UK… :upside_down_face:

Anyway…maybe the focus in the short term should be on reforming the existing creatives dao modus operandi…but within the existing ecosystem…and with a greater eye either on economic sustainability and/or clear benefits to Near…

Maybe ask daos - and individual artists/creatives (!) - to produce a clear plan for KPI/deliverables…whatever those criteria are - as part of their longer-term proposals for funding…with a clear rationale as to why they should be supported by CD/NF…

So…for example…this is the activity, this is how long it takes, this is how it benefits Near, this is how we measure its effectiveness…with an acknowledgement of whether there is a path to commercial sustainability or not.

Last point …I know everyone wants decentralisation…but - (another maybe!) - maybe it is better to have appointed (KYC’d?) mods/council who are rewarded appropriately for the workload and responsibility…but are not members/beneficiaries of any proposals passed.

Feels like that independence would add a level of oversight/inscrutability that would help satisfy outside observers from both NF & the ecosystem. Also…i bet it’s a lot of work…as it does sound like a full-time job.

(I also like @frnvpr 's suggestion of rolling replacements for council/mods - above.)

Ok, just some thoughts. Best of luck with it. Appreciate it is tough to pull all this together and please everyone/anyone

Meanwhile, back to the day job…

thnx

11 Likes

Hello Carol
I’ll try to explain, maybe @Cryptonaut can also help

This sheet is related to onboard mainstream artists, who have this 1.000.000 followers or something (in tier 1) and 100.000 (in tier 2), and by making NFTs, this would return to Creatives DAO as royalties, and help support activities by using the royalties

it is better explained in Miro - would be a role of ambassadors.
this is what I understood

3 Likes

Thank you @zeitwarp
I was about to write a little more about my thoughts on it, but couldn’t find better words! your comment goes exactly towards my thoughts.

I think that the main important discussion now is How to structure Creatives DAO, as a DAO of DAOs, to help this community growing in web3

So, maybe the urgent plan is to focus in solving the issues we have, and as I said before (but I don’t think I am perfectly understandable by my English), that the sheet shared by @Paul is a nice first step for all DAOs to understand what is missed, and what is needed

And in that way, as we can evaluate ourselves looking to this sheet as a roadmap draft, we can figure out our needs, what we know together, what we don’t know, and how DAOs can support each other. A little abstract, I understand.

But, in my point of view, Creatives DAO should be this bridge between NF and DAOs, providing the structure, as you well pointed here

thank you again

5 Likes

This initiative will go a long way in promoting a better understanding of the DAO their work culture and provide a better mechanism to evaluate and present the challenges and fund appropriate projects in right manner. Great work @creativesdao-council we will support and provide any feedback required to make this robust and sound. :star_struck:

2 Likes

I agree with @ritamaria and @zeitwarp about the plan for mainstream artists.

I think this should be a post proposal to the Restructuring Plan that we need to present to the NF, as I don’t think this will be the crucial thing to ensure the sustainability of the community. The mainstream is also based on speculative, of-the-moment basis. This is sometimes a necessary phenomenon to stimulate the market and generate buzz in the media that can be better worked on by marketing teams.

I believe that the Creatives community should have access to resources and funding in returns that can provide sustainable growth to the Near ecosystem, which makes me agree with many of @frnvpr arguments.

What we need is to establish what criteria make the most fair, decentralized and diverse possible.

5 Likes

@shreyas @illia @marieke.flament

Where did you find any changes here? Old Creative DAO collective continues to have election power over the council’s team.

Maybe time to stop mocking the Community and the experiments in both DAOs. I know some brilliant contributors have already left Near and joined in Solana and Polygon communities. Was it the goal of the changes @illia @marieke.flament? Why Near Foundation hates community?