[REPORT] June 2022 Creative Computation: Generative Software Spaces and Meta-creation (the web)

173256332-7b92618e-16b5-4b36-878f-5573044bc852

“The idea becomes the machine that makes the art.”

Sol LeWitt. Paragraphs on Conceptual Art, 1967

My apps are as useful as a song.

Scott Snibbe

Generativity as a Condition

In June 2022, generative systems became the center of my investigation and making. How would it loo like the interaction of creative coding, the instantiations of decentralized technologies such mas blockchain in relationship with the embodiment based interfaces.

This is a collection code art projects using p5.js and Java Script, exploring the relationship of form, motion, time and space inspired by complex systems and generative design.

Generative art refers to art that in whole or in part has been created with the use of an autonomous system. An autonomous system in this context is generally one that is non-human and can independently determine features of an artwork that would otherwise require decisions made directly by the artist. In some cases the human creator may claim that the generative system represents their own artistic idea, and in others that the system takes on the role of the creator.

Creative coding is a type of computer programming in which the goal is to create something expressive instead of something functional. It is used to create live visuals and for VJing, as well as creating visual art and design, entertainment (e.g. video games), art installations, projections and projection mapping, sound art, advertising, product prototypes, and much more.

I have been an interdisciplinary artist from more than three decades working in Creative Computing:

• Improvisational dance practices and choreographic thinking and its interaction with computational systems.
  • Interactive/generative real-time technologies and multimedia as spaces for creative expression for embodied arts practitioners.
  • Embodied Cognition as a theoretical framework for distributed, systems and its performances (socio-technical choreographies?)
  • Blockchain and arts as an important epistemic and critical framework.
  • Can choreographic scores be minted as generative software?

Generativity and meta-creation is the space where we blur the distinctions between art, design, science and engineering and can be best described with the german word GESTALTERN or 'creators of form." We are honoring the particular needs and working styles that are visual-spatial, rhythmic, verbal linguistic, and bodily-kinesthetic intelligence.

These are the works developed as practice and also the ones that are completed. They are developing as collection and I am researching on how to interface them with NFT platforms.
More in July 2022.

These peaces only exist in the internet and they run freely in the browser.
Users have interacted and sent me screenshots. I have onboarded to Near some of them.

All these works are released to MIT License unless indicated otherwise

** Research and Development with partial support of MotionDAO/Near Foundation.

Soft Spaces

vertical-slitscan0 (3)

It is series of classic video processing algorithms that uses the webcam input as a source and the browser as a performance space; it helps us to rediscover the interactions of movement and perception augmented by computational systems and strategies. The space of the frame is choreographed and remapped in collaboration with user/performer. Soft Spaces represents the cognitive continuity of motion, software, interface design and embodiment. They are invitations to create and compose inside computational spaces. How do the spaces make you move?"

Developed with partial support of MotionDAO/Near Foundation.

Canonical: Soft Space #1

Horizontal SlitScan: Soft Space #2

Vertical SlitScan: Soft Space #3

** Research and Development with partial support of MotionDAO/Near Foundation.

Generative Tools for Meta-creation

This series investigates the potential of generative and procedural drawing using motion based algorithms. It creates the possibility that each app becomes for its a tool for creativity and expression.

Dancing Dots

291859089_10161937121370968_2705774434817161059_n

Dancing Dots Live

Dancing Dots Repo)

Un-celebration:USA 4th of July 2022

Expressive code work manifesting the terror created by gun violence, police brutality, and supreme court law reversals in the US. I started trying to create ‘fireworks’ and this is what became.

Uncelebration Live

Uncelebration Repo)

Generative MotionDAO Logo Prototype 3

telegram-cloud-photo-size-1-5051020877881256388-y

MotionDAO Logo with moving particles mutually attrated and moving around text.

#generativedesign #codeart #p5

Generative MotinDAO Logo Live

Generative MotinDAO Logo repo

Wolfram Cellular Automata

Simple demonstration of a Wolfram 1-dimensional cellular automata.
When the system reaches bottom of the window, it restarts with a new ruleset
Mouse click restarts as well

#generativeart #codeart #cellularautomata #wolfran #p5 #1dimension

Wolfram Cellular Automata Live

Wolfram Cellular Automata repo

Flocking Bubbles

I am fascinated by complex systems. An array of particles is created when you click the mouse. The particles flock towards the mouse and and cluster around it. They are sensitive to the sound in the room. Press space bar to reset the system. Press P to take screenshot.

#emergent #p5 #javascript #complexity #flocking

Flocking Bubbles Live

Flocking Bubbles repo

Color Particles Fountains

A particle system is created in the canvas
and the particles are programmed to be attracted by the mouse.
On mouse click, more emitters are created in the clicked location of the canvas.
All particles are individually attracted by the ‘gravity’ of the mouse.
Pressing the space bar deletes the ‘emitters’ in order.
“e” resets the canvas.

#creativecoding #particlephysics #p5 #codeart

Color Particles Fountains Live

Color Particles Fountains repo
Work in Progress Generative Zoom Tapestry using MotionDAO zoom screenshots as color source.

Images from users created with Dancing Dots.

MOVING ATTRACTORS

June 2021 was investigation on how to lead a collective of art creators manifesting care in many level and dimensions of practice with so many questions about the commons, regeneration, climate change, embodiment and interactive multimedia, digital bodies, speculative futures where the where economy is beyond commodification.

MotionDAO manifests the complexity of having this kinds of bodies: embedded, enmeshed, extended.
We are creating generative contexts that manifest sacredness, celebration, community, research rigor and joy.
I tried to RESIST the tension of becoming a traditional organization with traditional creations of labor.
How governance of DAOs is not traditional management?

Onboarding to the Near Ecosystem continues to ripple in Colombia, Argentina, USA, Canada, Germany, Brazil.

MotionDAO is consolidating and fostering blockchain education, development (coding knowledge) and collaborative practices.

Near facilitates the synergies.

Ongoing experiments and crashes are creating the ‘composting’ for more speculations.

Documenta in Kassel is becoming an attractor for outs community during the summer.

MotionDAO EDU will be teaching several workshop this summer in Kassel, Ghent and Geneva.

We are preparing for the summer/winter with online. courses and workshops in Spanish, software environments that invite movement, weekly somatic and meditation sessions, installations and workshops.

4 Likes

Very cool love it! I wanna know more about generative Dao. Cheers!

1 Like

Hello. Caleb,
thank you!
I see that we share some interest on creative coding and DAOs.
Lets explore,
M

1 Like

thanks a lot I will follow to stay conected,

yes I love creative coding, generative art, music, <3

Cheers :100: :100: :100: :100: