Reimagining the NEAR Guilds Program

True Words On Point! :clap:

1 Like

I see only one effective decentralized DAO (structure) when we have councils -representatives from all active DAOs and guilds (re-election every 6-months). Any Community member can bring ideas/proposals to them and get approval from councils (consensus 30-35%).

Briefly:

11 Likes

Not doing KYC puts whichever entity is giving away the tokens (or its owners) at unlimited liability, so the NF can’t give meaningful amounts of tokens to any entity that hasn’t been KYC/KYB’d. If the receiving entity wants to put itself at risk by not KYCing its own payments, that’s their issue but it’s serious stuff.

2 Likes

About this, I’m not entirely sure that most Guilds do know that they’d have to be self-sustaining at some point. So it would be good if the revamp of the guild program explicitly make it clear that Guilds would have to run independently on their own without any assistance (mostly financial) from the NF. Maybe only then we’re going to achieve more with the guilds program.

I don’t think there’s a definite way to say whether or not a guild would interact with traditional banking or fiat on/off ramps with received tokens- even though they might not do it directly, it still counts.

7 Likes

This is well said
It couldn’t have been put better.

1 Like

I support this. Thank you for letting all community members to contribute. I think we can help shape guild formations for the better with methods that are more more effective without compromising decentralization by setting up neutral monitoring mechanisms.

btw we have an ongoing debate about a Guild [PROPOSAL] NEAR Turkey February / March / April 2022 - #34 by David_NEAR (now the topic is closed)

I believe we’re having hard time keeping track of what exactly is going on around Regional Guilds and can’t efficiently monitor and collect feedback about them since most don’t speak English.

imo all Local/Regional guilds should:

-Not be run by an agency that gets other jobs other than Near and the Ecosystem Projects

-Work with qualified people who have crypto knowledge, highly familiar with Near Ecosystem and have English(a little should do it) rather than friends and relatives. Community moderators should be chosen from those most enthusiast members.

a picture: in Persian/Turkish Community Chat if someone’s asking about how to add liqudity on ref for X-Y token you cannot/shouldn’t tell him to go Ref Finance Official chat and ask there since he probably doesn’t have enough English therefore asking it on local community chat :slight_smile: If he was told to do so (considering he doesn’t have enoguh English) he would 99% give up and migrate to another protocol where they offer better Local support

-High quality written/video Local Language content must be there at leash on basic stuff like: how to set up a wallet, understand explorer, opportunities for developers/learners, Individual contributors, popular de-fi projects, NFT marketplaces etc.

-Maintain fair distribution of Near Foundation/the Communtiy resources on a merit basis. The dao should not be less than 5 members. They should encourage new members contributors to join the governance forum and then finally to the dao if they are seen enthusiast about it. ( Monthly marketing reports may seem neat but you can never be sure if the funds have been spent fairly unless you live in that country and speak that language)

-Keep in touch with other local crypto communities not just with “close influencer friends”. Use these connections to help shill important marketing

-Be open for any creative/more effective proposals coming from the community and be willing to replace it with their own. Announce and pin it on community channels and encourage all community members to join the governance forum.

-Be creative about channel/community events. They may be inspired by our original channel events and organize similar/better ones :smile:

-Have love for the community and, avoid banning members on small disagreements.

-Simply: be a sherpa not a boss :love_letter:

They can 24/7 contact and ask for support from us:

Channel Ops. @Benz_Near @Kv9990 @bailey12 @GeorgePro1 @Emmyyo @rahulgoel007 for questions about moreration, organizing events, basic technical stuff
and
Guild Ops. @Jloc @jiten123321 @simeon4real @FritzWorm
for in depth collabration with other Near Guilds and all other issues regarding Near Guilds
*Near Concierge Team

16 Likes

I have to quote you Sherpa Chief haha =) This is indeed a nice quote, I will use it :1st_place_medal:

This is part of what I try to explain to the council members, they need to forget about the figure of a leader/boss. The leadership is shared by the council members and the community.

@nacho.near @Alecaseg @jeph check this out, more changes, and something about what I told you on how to help your communities.

@LuisAponte99 @Mineriavirtual @rosamaria you should take a look on this too.

12 Likes

Hi,

As a member of this community for quite some times now, I did see the rise and fall of guilds so I would like to conduct some ideas:

• There currently a wrong concept that implying when guild leader create a guild right now is that the guild only operates when receiving fund from NF which is a very wrong way to move towards a self-sustaining, community driven models
  • Near Wiki suppose to be the place where people should look for answer but instead, it does’t come into anyone’s mind when they are looking for answer

Hence, here is the solution I suggest for above problems:

1. NF needs to design a starter package for everyone that wants to create a guild. Things in a package includes:
  • Steps by steps from how to starting up the guilds to eventually becoming a self-sustain guild model
  • A supportive connection for the new guild to all of existing guilds (marketing, design, business, etc…)
  • A starter funding pack up to 3 months and after 3 months, the guild will have to take on step on their own without supporting of any fund from NF.
    But mostly importantly is the mindset for the guild leader to understand that guild will need to be a self-sustaining model, just like every business, every start-ups
  1. Regarding on NEAR Wiki, please promote it to be a go-to place if anyone looking for an answer rather than just let it sitting there.

I do believe if guild can sustain by themselves then our Ecosystem growth will be much healthier than ever before.

13 Likes

Ultimately, I’d like to see a model that would support all Guilds. For instance ~ A guild like the NEAR stars guilds that sources for YouTube and then pay them for advertising. How do Guilds like this get self-sustained since they don’t earn “any” revenue? It’s not just NEAR star guilds - there are others.

Like you said, there are Guilds that got closed down when their “usual” funding was put up for debate.

It’s time we change the narrative.

9 Likes

Thanks for the exposure @KriptoRaptor.

Guild Ops team is here to guide and help all guild members despite the ecosystem structure.

I agree with what you are proposing here. I personally have focused on leading guilds into being self-sufficient.

NF of course, should support guilds but to a certain extent.

5 Likes

Good evening! How Near community members can join in guild ops team? How can the team help me with my near /aurora guild? Thanks

5 Likes

Hello mate! I’m not the person who defines who or how can join the team, but I can help you with Aurora if you tell me exactly what you need.

5 Likes

I support this
This is a welcome development
Let’s be completely decentralised
We’re in web.3 era

2 Likes

hey Dacha, Guild Ops is a bridge between Guilds and a guide for new members.
The goal is:
-help new community members to join the best guild for them or build a new one,
-to support Guilds them when starting a new initiative,
-help them keep in touch and ask for support from other guilds communities *
-maintain collaboration among Guilds.

it’s a new initiative if you want to get further information contact them and you may ask to join their weekly calls

3 Likes

Thanks for your hard work chronear! It is great to have someone approachable within the foundation to talk to while as things are being sorted out.

I strongly believe that at its core, there is a lack of awareness and consensus about what a Guild actually is. This presents challenges on any subsequent limb of the discussion.

The tension seems to be between the Foundation wanting or expecting Guilds to be professional services providers and between the Foundation wanting to encourage community growth and a healthy ecosystem.

This definitional issue has resulted in unrealistic expectations placed on some Guilds - leading to a lot of wastes time, zero compensation, and valuable members moving forward as well as the most valuable community members actually not being part of any formal structure yet being consistently approached by Foundation for remunation as they recognise the work they do.

I personally disagree with the current view the current Guilds program should operate as a Start-up Accelerator with Seed funding and then expecting self-sufficiency. But assuming that this is the way forward (professional services) the key question needs to be: who is the client? who is receiving the bulk of the value being created?

To me the answer is very simple, if you are a Guild on the NEAR ecosystem, you should be engaging in activities that add value to the entire ecosystem (in one way or another), and given that the Foundation is sitting on billions of dollars worth of Community funds, then it is only logical that the Foundation foots the bill. Why force Guilds to charge other early stage startups or individuals for performing services that the Foundation reaps most of the rewards? (Guild work contribute towards appreciation of price which results in the Foundation increasing their coffers by dozens of billions so we can keep paying Foundation employees to offload all work and responsibility to the community who they don’t want to distribute funds to - ok)

I would also suggest that before we present more programs and structures, we include an account of what happened to the last round of ambitious, centralised DAO governance changes that have already been quietly dismissed.

18 Likes

Hello @chronear thanks for taking care of such important matter for the community.

Could we have like an open meeting, @jlwaugh runned a very interesting one about the Community DAO, could be something similar with the upper management involved and guild leaders and the community ?

@Jessica @jcatnear @mecsbecs @shreyas

I believe this are big steps and with rapid changes we should try more communication channels openly. Not just forum.

6 Likes

The post is based on several discussions on the forum and community channels. This isn’t something that was spun up overnight. Now, the goal here is simple and clear - we need to ship fast, coordinate innovative governance experiments and most importantly do all of this publicly - with the community, for the community. It is as simple as that.

I have never hesitated a bit in sharing my Calendly on public forums and I am more than happy to talk with anyone and everyone from the community. Not sure how arranging a “townhall-esque” gathering speeds up the process. An AMA though is not a bad idea once the roll-out is complete. Thanks for being an active contributor. Cheers!

5 Likes

Thanks for a passionate and thoughtful response, AVB! I admire your dedication towards the ecosystem and honestly, it is quite hard to match the level of energy you bring to discussions.

I think we are losing sight of the larger picture when we conveniently ignore the spirit of the discussion and stretch ends to the extreme.

Much of the reasoning for changes in the first place are making the experience easier for Guilds and Guild Leaders.

Quoting this as it has been specifically mentioned in the original post that there is often an unrealistic level of expectation on Guild Leaders in terms of delivery and reporting which leads to what may be perceived by some as favouritism by towards overachievers; community drama, unhealthy discourse and even disenchantment of contributors. WE CANNOT LET IT HAPPEN!

Community is at the heart of whatever is done in the NEAR Ecosystem and staying true to that spirit, together we need to do everything to make community-governance easier, simpler and more rewarding. I would also philosophically and fundamentally disagree with some views shared here about Foundation supposedly reaping benefits from community activity. This type of discourse is not helpful in facilitating healthy discussions. That being said, this exercise aims to actually empower the community in the most ambitious ways possible. Together we are building a highway to success and scalability for Guilds by encouraging participation in governance. The roll-out as it progresses, will make understanding of things a lot more clear. Being intentionally light on details and focusing on shipping what works best for all is the only priority!

Heyyy =) Chronear, I am here again. Thanks for taking care of us :hatching_chick:

thanks for taking care of such an important matter for the community.

I will need your help,

I need to understand better what you mean, and I may be having a misunderstood with this here:

Did you mean that the discussions already made are enough, the new way to do things has been settled down, and there is no room for more meetings? Or why do you highlight it?

I don’t get why you said so, I mean, I know this is not overnight, this is work done step by step with the best intentions, and we have good results and some mistakes that we have learned as a community.

So, this will keep evolving… more discussions are needed, forever. (and ever) :cowboy_hat_face:

Web3 → DAOs → independent communities, the self-sustainable communities we want to build, are evolving thanks to us!

We are now pioNEARs creating a new and better society in how we interact and make decisions.

So, please listen to us. We need to talk about this more.

We are here 24/7, we are members with full commitment and proven contributions, who want to share more thoughts, so if we said here that we want to discuss this further, then why not do so? There is something more critical, or is there another priority?

This is not enough time for feedback, not everyone is aware of this, even myself, I am not feeling part of this change but I do feel part of the community, this is 100%, not enough time and not enough discussion. Not everyone speaks up, others need more opportunities for communication.

Maybe we need to forget about speeding up the process.

What goods will bring to come up with another method that will not work and we will have to change again? And where a lot of members, councils, leaders could feel not being taken into account?

Haha, and hey, that will happen anyway because, as I said, this will keep evolving, but let’s be sure that all the community understand and share their part.

Let’s be sure that everything is wholly conversated, so on the next iteration of change, we know that the mistakes were good ones because everyone was involved while all the information was taken into account.

And let’s open more ways, more channels, let’s see how the community can participate more. Every initiative that opens communication is not just good but necessary for a healthy community.

We all need to understand that:

The way, the process, the guidelines for the Guild program need to work out for all of us, this is an inclusive community, so we need to talk about this even more. This is the way.

Hehehe I love being here! Building the web3, enjoying the process, and having fun with you my NEAR family! Cheers :beers:

4 Likes

Wow! Cool, AMA soon then! :handshake:

5 Likes