[CLOSED] Onboard Black Gold Nation to NEAR, Satori, and AstroDAO to Marketing DAO

Council members:
shiftshapr.near
phahsa.near
colbert6640.near
mellow.near

Target: presence-dao.sputnik-dao.near

KYC & Contract: TBD

Total Requested Funding Amount: $4815

Timeline: January 15 - Feb 27

Objective

The objective of the project is to introduce Black Gold Nation, a large, international organization with a presence in 55 US cities, 21 African countries, and 4 non-African countries, to NEAR and AstroDAO, and enable them to form a meta-community with its own sovereign layer over the web. This will involve integration with the NEAR wallet and engagement with NEAR builders, and has the potential to provide value to other projects in the ecosystem. The project aims to educate and inspire people to take action, and create an inspiring, vibrant community that makes people want to join. It will also involve a partnership with Black Gold Nation for their upcoming conference, and the onboarding of hundreds of members of Black Gold Nation to NEAR wallets, NFTs, and an AstroDAO, with the goal of establishing NEAR and AstroDAO as the web3 platform and governance system of choice for the organization.

Details

The project involves working with an organization called Black Gold Nation for about 17 months. They have a presence in 55 US cities, 21 African countries, and 4 non-African countries. They are doing a conference at the end of February in Houston for which the expect 500-685 people in attendance.

The project os to onboard them to NEAR and AstroDAO in order to enable them to form a meta-community with its own sovereign layer over the web. The project involves integration with the NEAR wallet and engagement with NEAR builders, and has the potential to provide value to other projects in the ecosystem. AstroDAO, Mintbase, NEARNauts, and Satori all expressed interest, as their stake communities could benefits.

The project aims to educate and inspire people to take action, and create an inspiring, vibrant community that makes people want to join. It also involves a partnership with Black Gold Nation for their upcoming conference, which includes co-sponsorship, speaking slots, and a table at the event. The project aims to onboard hundreds of members of Black Gold Nation to NEAR wallets, give them NFTs that will be used to access the meta-community, and onboard over a hundred leaders and potentially the entire community to an AstroDAO, which will be used to govern the meta-community and the organization.

The financial aspects of the project, as described, include the following:

• $1500 partnership fee, which includes co-sponsorship, 2 speaking slots including one plenary, a table, and presence/shoutouts at all official events.
  • $250 round trip travel to Houston from Cancun for one person.
  • $395 round trip travel to Houston from Pittsburgh for one person.
  • $595 for 3 nights for 2 people in an Airbnb.
  • $400 for 3 meals for 2 people for 4 days (at a cost of $50 per person per day).
  • $80 for transport to the airport for 2 people (at a cost of approximately $20 each way per person).
  • $95 for a sign for the table, clipboards, and pens.
  • $1500 for t-shirts with NEAR and TMBK2.0, with 150 t-shirts to be given away.

The project has an initial allocation of $4815 to cover these expenses.

The project includes a proposal for NEAR to invest $10 per NEAR wallet and $10 per DAO sign-up. This means that for every NEAR wallet that is onboarded as part of the project, NEAR would invest $10, and for every AstroDAO sign-up, NEAR would also invest $10. The initial allocation of $4815 to cover expenses would be a pre-payment of the initial investment. The team will be paid for their time (7 days x 2 people for planning, traveling, attending the event, and post-conference) if they achieve more than 480 wallet and DAO sign-ups.

The expected outcomes of the project are that NEAR will be embraced by a sophisticated black American community organization with hundreds of members centering their web3 strategy on NEAR and AstroDAO, and 600+ wallets, 600+ NFT holders, and 100+ DAO members will be onboarded.

It seems that this project aligns well with the goals of the NEAR Foundation’s Community Fund. The project involves working with an existing organization that has a strong presence in the US and internationally, and aims to introduce them to NEAR and AstroDAO in order to enable them to form a meta-community with its own sovereign layer over the web. The project also involves integration with the NEAR wallet and engagement with NEAR builders, and has the potential to provide value to other projects in the ecosystem. Additionally, the project aims to educate and inspire people to take action, and create an inspiring, vibrant community that makes people want to join. Overall, it appears that this project has the potential to contribute to the development of a thriving ecosystem of high-quality projects, increase education and reach, attract Web3 talent, and produce work of reasonable quality, as outlined in the marketing guidelines.

1 Like

Hello! Could you plese fill out the form? Thank you

2 Likes

Hi shiftshapr,

Thanks for your proposal.

I’d like to start by stating that I really admire NEAR community members who are proactive in scouting and onboarding potential projects that have potential to grow within NEAR. I believe that due to the nature of BGN, decentralised technologies are the best solution.

I am however concerned about some aspects of this proposal:

• The nature of the proposal is to fund political activism, not NEAR or technology;
  • All of the funding is to sponsor and attend a political activism event. This is in sharp contrast to other events we have funded such as Blockchain Weeks or NFT workshops, etc.
  • Beyond some technicalities around current restrictions to fund events, I think it is very important to keep the Community Fund politically neutral.
  • I also find the proposal to be confusing and misleading
  • While the ‘total’ amount requested is $4815, the ‘fine print’ below opens us to exponential liability which is equal or greater to the original amount requested.
  • $10 per wallet and $10 per Astrodao signup are very large amounts compared to what we have paid traditionally (if at all).
  • Another issue with this kind of metric is that we are very limited in the oversight and accountability of mere wallet creation (how can we prevent abuse?)
  • Finally, it is unclear how, why, and how much the team expects to get paid on top of the sponsorship to the political cause of their choice, all-paid travel expenses and generous wallet and astrodao sign- bonuses.

I am unable to support this proposal.

2 Likes

Dear @satojandro

Could you consider supporting if changes were made? Please see below.

The nature of the proposal is to fund political activism

Actually, the nature of the proposal is support community organizing via blockchain. This is not political activism. It is community organizing and community building to have non-partisan community power to get things done to improve communities. If you want to bring on hundreds of millions of people to NEAR, you have to support communities. I

All of the funding is to sponsor and attend a political activism event.

This is not a political activism event. the point is to onboard a community of people who will be a real world example of how a community can use NEAR tools to organize and govern themselves that has the potential to national if not global model. This could pave the way for communities of all types to us NEAR tools. We need examples of non web3 communities.

• I also find the proposal to be confusing and misleading

Apologies, I tried to get feedback ahead of time but did not receive any. I had no intention at all to be misleading.

• While the ‘total’ amount requested is $4815, the ‘fine print’ below opens us to exponential liability which is equal or greater to the original amount requested.

I have been told by Marketing DAO members in the past that the Marketing DAO would be happier to pay after the fact for results. Hence, we set up the initial part where there was zero compensation for the team, but if we are successful we would get something on the backend. If you want to lower the up front, we could remove the $1500 for t-shirts. T-shifts are pretty awesome marketing tools though.

• $10 per wallet and $10 per Astrodao signup are very large amounts compared to what we have paid traditionally (if at all).

We could also put a limit on the upside and we could reduce the amount to within what you have traditionally done. Please share those amounts if you can.

Once again, I was hoping to get feedback and consideration. As I said, the idea was to build in some compensate if we were successful. I am just barely scrapping by now. If I dedicate 10 days to a project, and the project is successful, I need to earn something fair so I can pay my minuscule rent and eat.

• Another issue with this kind of metric is that we are very limited in the oversight and accountability of mere wallet creation (how can we prevent abuse?)

Once again I have been told and seen wallets been used as a metric before. Open to suggestions. Keep in mind, I am not trying to screw anyone. I am coming in good faith., I have been in this ecosystem for almost a year now. I am just trying to bring good projects to NEAR that can help NEAR scale.

• Finally, it is unclear how, why, and how much the team expects to get paid on top of the sponsorship to the political cause of their choice, all-paid travel expenses and generous wallet and astrodao sign- bonuses.

This is a huge assumption and it does not feel right for me to read this.

As I said earlier, this is not a political event. This is a non-partisan community building and organizing event. More importantly, I am not part of Black Gold Nation and will only be attending if I am to go to support community building by onboarding their membership to NEAR and AstroDAO. I am an DAOstructior with DAOcubator – we bring community groups onto AstroDAO. I am also building a dApp that enables DAO communities to meet and interact above webpage.

This project that could be so powerful for NEAR. Potentially a global model for the use of NEAR tooling and AstroDAO for community building. It also could be a model of how NEAR can be integrated into a non-web3 conference.

@David_NEAR, @starpause, @Dacha: wondering If you all have any thoughts on whether you’d like to see this type of project in the NEAR ecosystem. I was told by the NEAR Foundation to try the Marketing DAO but it may not be a good fit.

Hi @shiftshapr thank you for your proposal and noted your replies to fellow council.

Unfortunately i am unable to support this as i dont see enough tangible benefits for the Near ecosystem and its goals from this event.

Hi @shiftshapr – thanks for the proposal and responding to the feedback/questions from other council members.

I think this is a challenging proposal to assess. Here are my thoughts:

• I can see that there could be value for the ecosystem in promoting NEAR at this event, but for me it is perhaps not as strong of a direct connection to the ecosystem as some other projects we are reviewing and considering this month. That matters because we are currently operating under a significantly constrained budget vs. through September last year, and in my view are more likely to fund projects with some traction/established audience to demonstrate before receiving funding.
  • The MarketingDAO is not currently approved to fund events. We are in discussions to take on more review and funding of events, but that hasn’t officially happened yet, so on those grounds I can’t approve this.
  • Even when we were approved to fund events last year (through September), there was a lot of controversy and friction around funding of individuals’ travel and expenses for attending events. I think that is a tough issue that still needs to be sorted out, as funding is key for many people to be able to attend in-person conferences. But that said, it is not an issue that I think has reached a consensus within the MarketingDAO. Because I am very much on the fence about that use of funding and think it warrants more discussion from a policy standpoint, I am for now unable to support it.

While I can’t support this proposal, I do want to make it clear that it is not because I doubt any of your enthusiasm or dedication to the NEAR ecosystem or past track record. Rather, the practical concerns outlined above and the narrower budget and guidelines available here are driving my decision.

1 Like

Aloha @so608

That is really helpful for my understanding and my morale. I was beginning to think that people in the ecosystem did not want me to succeed. I just got denied for a $50K bullder grant, because I did not respond to en email quick enough during the time leading up to Christmas despite the process having already doubled in elapsed time without any explanation from the outside contractor who was reviewing my submission.

He was the one that suggested that I speak to the Marketing DAO about funding.

I am going to talk to Black Gold Nation about doing the onboarding remotely. Do you have a sense of the best way to get compensated for onboarding work that involves meetings, virtual onboardng sessions, creating materials, a NFT campaign, a new DAO, and DAO training? The outcomes would be the same as the above proposal. There would be no cost of travel or sponsorship or schwas, only the team’s time.

Is this something that the Marketing DAO could get behind for next month? I would be interested to know the best way to structure compensation, estimated hourly and/or performance.

Thanks again
Daveed