[Proposal] Light Godot SDK for NEAR

This project is about creating a light SDK to use NEAR with the Godot game engine, and writing a tutorial for this SDK through making a small example game.

The following functionality is planned for the SDK:

• Wallet login/logout
  • Calling view functions
  • Calling change functions
  • Sending tokens

The SDK will be open-source, allowing anyone to extend its functionality in the future if desired.

The tutorial for the SDK will show developers how to write a simple, high-score-based game that uses NEAR, with the game being small in scope, such as a game like Pong, Space Invaders, or Flappy Bird. The tutorial will show how to store a leaderboard of the game’s top scores on the blockchain.

Godot is a free, open-source game engine with support for making 2D and 3D games for desktop, mobile, web, and even VR. More info can be found here Godot Engine - Features

5 Likes

This sounds great! How long will it take and what kind of funding is required? You could also suit this as a partner challenge for aug27 #metabuidl hackathon!

Hey, so this proposal was made for Human Guild after discussion with them, and work has already started. While the SDK won’t be ready by the time the MetaBUIDL hackathon starts, I think it would be interesting to see new games made with it through a future hackathon or game jam.

1 Like

So cool to hear! We’re planning for another hackathon even later in the year so maybe that timing will work. Looking forward to updates!

Very interested to hear how this progresses! Godot is an amazing tool! I prefer it to Unity. Despite the domain specific language, GDScript, its pretty easy to learn and has great documentation and a growing community. I am pretty sure that Cryptovoxels is built on it.

Using Unity has a pitfall – you have to pay a percentage of your profit if your earnings surpass a certain threshold. Godot is free to use commercially.

I took a peek at your repo, awesome to see progress so far!! Very excited to use this eventually

1 Like

Hey there! Just curious how it’s going!

Hey, so the SDK is pretty much complete for now, at least until Godot 4.0 comes out. The SDK supports making desktop, mobile (iOS is untested), and web games, and there’s a tutorial ready that shows how someone would integrate the SDK into an existing game.

The SDK: GitHub - svntax/godot-near-sdk: A lightweight NEAR SDK for Godot.

Tutorial with example game: Space Shooter Tutorial · svntax/godot-near-sdk Wiki · GitHub

2 Likes