TLDR of the proposal:
The Open Shards Alliance (OSA) is a guild of MainNet validators and NEAR enthusiasts that operate and maintain a shared decentralized network named GuildNet. The network is solely maintained by the guild and is used to train validators new to NEAR and as a sharded experimental TestNet for DApps.
The guild provides training, experimental features, and tooling for validators interested in NEAR.
The goals are to:
- Train and grow a base of validators to further decentralization when sharding is enabled on MainNet.
- Develop common validator tools for monitoring and troubleshooting
- Test experimental features of NEAR
- An Incentivized NEAR TestNet
Detailed proposal - max 450 words, if more info is needed link to docs:
The GuildNet network has been community-run and governed since July of 2020. An initial budget of 50K was provided under the StakeWars budget and it was recently identified that this budget expired at the end of 2020. To-date the guild has issued around 5K in rewards. Our current monthly budget run is 800 NEAR. This is comprised of rewards issued to guild members for maintaining portions of the network’s repos, tools, and recruiting.
OSA accomplishments JUL 2020 - JAN 2021
- Members: 100
- 8 shards
- Active Validators: 15
- Hard-Forks: 15+ (Network Upgrades)
- 12 Forked & Maintained NEAR Repos
- Tools: GuildNet Faucet, CI/CD for Hard-Forks, Staking Bot, Monitoring Tools
- GuildNet Documentation
- TPS Testing and Results report
- Recruit 15+ additional validators to fully decentralize the network
- Incentivize the tokens of the network (tokenomics, founder distributions, NEAR Swap integration)
- Build additional tooling to support validators (Monitoring tools, auto-deployment scripts)
Potential ROI/impact on the NEAR Ecosystem:
- The OSA is aligned with the mission of NEAR to provide an opportunity to the world by providing opportunities for a greater degree of decentralization by training validators.
- Once sharding is enabled we plan to have 30 additional experienced validators ready to decentralize the network further.
- NEARsama and Incentivized TestNet
- Overall 2021 goal is to begin the process of self-funding through an incentivized network
Amount of funding:
We would request a budget of 25K NEAR for 2021:
- 12K (1K monthly) NEAR monthly for network support and tooling
- 5K StakeIt or BreakIt validator recruiting competition
- 8K Development, tokenomics, design, delivery, and marketing of an incentivized TestNet network (NEARsama)
Project lead (internal/external):
External project lead: Henry Tafolla (blaze) already retained as a part-time contractor through July 30th 2021.
- Q1 TPS Testing
- Q1-Q2 Validator recruiting - StakeIt or BreakIt validator competition Mar 1st - May 1st
- Q2 NEARsama (need brand) tokenonmics
- Q3 Tokenized network launch
Voting and quorum thresholds:
<2K$ - 1X Yes - no minimum quorum (* quorum defined as min number of members needed for the vote to be valid)
2-10K$ - 2X Yes - no min quorum
10-30K$ - 3X Yes - min quorum 4 of 7 - 4X members should vote in either direction
Above 30K$ requires Erik or Illia’s additional approval (Head of NF/Chairman of NFC)
Above 100K$ requires NEAR Foundation Council approval