NEAR Data Center --- Open Call for questions, thoughts and data projects

Just dropping this here – I’ve been playing around with on-chain indexing concepts, and have a PoC live currently:

This type of data is great for trustless sources of aggregated values, think of historical price based oracles directly sourced contract-to-contract.

2 Likes

Hey everyone! My team has been working hard to set up an indexer that listens for specific methods on a specific contract (taking into consideration cross-contract calls) and also has the capability to do view calls to the blockchain when interpreting the methods. We just updated it today, and it is now also capable of connecting and passing information to web APIs. The current implementation connects to a CRUD API, and listens for specified methods on specific contracts of the user’s choosing and interprets those methods to keep a database synced with the blockchain. It is up-to-date with the recent nearcore update (v1.21.0). If you are interested in something like this, check out GitHub - Fayyr-Organization/fayyr-indexer: Contains code for running the Fayyr Indexer . The logic should work for any web APIs with a valid URL. If anybody does decide to use our indexer, my team is available to answer any questions, and we’d also love to hear about your projects and how you’re using it!

5 Likes

@David_NEAR

Thank you for the question, yes, this number can definitely be queried from the chain data.
We will add this to our key metrics to track and keep this in mind when we plan data efforts related to the DAOs on NEAR.
I am sure this will also be valuable for many DAOs on NEAR.

2 Likes

@hodlr Thank you so much for sharing this!
This is definitely valuable for many projects on NEAR, would love to know more about it and support the development and applications!

2 Likes

@mariavmihu Thank you so much for sharing!
I believe many of the projects on NEAR will find the Fayyr indexer very helpful!
Would love to know more and support your team further!

1 Like

As shared yesterday with @tiffanygyj, I think Forensic (relating to or denoting the application of scientific methods and techniques to the investigation of crime) is a hot topic in the DeFi space.

Not only because the bridge between regulation and DeFi is being made, but also because the total amount of money lost by blockchain hackers is getting close to $22b.

Although NEAR is by design permissionless, it’s a question of time before users experience on-chain KYC. Mostly to begin with Dapps that conduct regulated activities such as trading and lending. Yet, that first / entry layer of security is often not enough and does not prevent any malicious actions down the road.

A forensic tool should be relevant from that point. As recently mentionned on another thread.

[…] Building the most secure network won’t prevent a hack. Keeping the analogy, I think companies should take for granted that they will be hacked one day, and therefore spend more resources downstream. For example, how to make sure the data the hacker has access to is useless / unexploitable.

A forensics tool like Elliptic on NEAR would be a first step. The ability to identify and track any fraudulent or malicious wallet and share this information with on-chain and off-chain partners would make real world interactions close to impossible, ultimately making the risk / reward ratio unattractive for hackers.

A practical and functional way to see that would be first, a tool that can give any first and second degree wallets in connection with a wallet identified as fraudulent. A second step, would be to offer a service to any Dapps to notify their users when they intend to perform a transaction with a wallet identified as malicious.

Just sharing some ideas.

Finally, I like the following quote (A Cypherpunk’s Manifesto by Eric Hughes).

Privacy is not secrecy. A private matter is something one doesn’t want the whole world to know, but a secret matter is something one doesn’t want anybody to know.

3 Likes

@Didier Thank you so much for sharing this idea here, I completely agree that this will be super helpful for projects in the DeFi space and will only be more and more important with time goes by.
I see this as a great project to collaborate with security and forensic related guilds in the NEAR community as well!

1 Like

Can you build a website that can report transaction volume, investment, account activity of each dapps on the Near ecosystem?

2 Likes

I think it is essential for me to have a update overall of all the entire Near ecosystem. Other sources are unreliable and not have enough information

1 Like

@AnhKhoa thank you for the question, we are actually in the process of developing a dapp leaderboard that can provide you with these information!
To make sure we cover all you are interested, I wonder what do you mean by investment?

2 Likes

Thanks. I mean that is the amount of money new investor put into project.

1 Like

@AnhKhoa I see, so the funding status of the project?

2 Likes

yes. thank. have a nice days

2 Likes

I wasn’t able to find the total amount of data stored on the near chain in the near explorer page. As stored data is supposed to be part of the economics through near collateral requirements, It would be nice perhaps to add it to near explorer (and/or to near data center)

1 Like

Just pointing out that Analytics - NEAR Wiki needs some TLC. Could you add some information about this and other analytics initiatives to the wiki?

2 Likes

Hi @dco thank you for the suggestion.
We will definitely look into that and see if we can publish it on the stats pages we have.

2 Likes

Very difficult to have a index download, and making the data ready. If any detailed documents or Video will be helpful.! ? Working on the project to get the data. This Forum as well a great Idea to have on-board members and thier activities…?

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion!
A video of instruction is a wonderful point, I will see how I can get that recorded and share with the community.

Hello! Some questions about main website (near.org) traffic data and onchain data (first of all I am interested in the region of Russia because we are working here but I think it will also be useful for others).

Is it possible to see more about traffic on the website (near.org, wallet.near.org, gov.near.org, etc.)? For example how and which people come to the basement in the link wallet.near.org and the traffic data of this page (how people get to this page, from where, what links on the site they visited before coming here), referral sites and so on.

Further on the blockchain data:

• the age of all wallets;
  • the number of wallets by age (ex: 100 wallets - age 1 year, 200 wallets - age 6 months and so on);
  • what types of transactions are made by wallets of different ages;
  • how many transactions are made by wallets of different ages;
  • what most “old” wallets usually do;
  • what most “new” wallets usually do.

If we prepare accurate scenarios and descriptions of the Google Analytics and onchain data that we need will you be able to give them? So far these are the most exciting questions for me, thanks.

Hi @crptbrthrs
Thank you for the questions.
Unfortunately our website traffic data is not public at this stage because of privacy matters.

As for the blockchain data, you can access and create queries to analyze them via our public read access of indexer NEAR Indexer Framework | NEAR Documentation
We have also integrated with Graph Protocol NEAR and The Graph Partnership – NEAR Protocol subgraphs which is another option you can explore our chain data. In addition, you can also reference our RPC for a lot of the information you are looking for RPC Endpoints | NEAR Documentation

For the questions you hope to answer, we currently don’t have this kind of data queried and stored in our database, but I believe you will definitely be able to connect to the resources I mentioned above and use timestamps to group and analyze accounts and visualize them.
Please feel free to use NEAR Data Center Telegram group Telegram: Join Group Chat as a resource when you have questions or hope to discuss difficulties you faced or finding people in the community to help you with this data project!

Hope this is helpful!

2 Likes