NDC Community Pulse: March 8, 2023

It would be great to know the trustees’ election process. I couldn’t find any posts here or anything else. Who was invited? Where? Criteria? Was it an open invitation process?

Thank you, @blaze for your reply.

@williamx and @Dacha to provide some more insight into your questions here is the roadmap we are following as provided by the transition of NF to the NDC:

1. NF owns the funding transition plan from NF to the Community Treasury to support the NDC. So, there’s little we have to control in that respect. We have been following the legal leads to create the trust instrument guidelines that we all will be following. Therefore, none of the legal explorations stem from the GWG individuals but the process that we must follow legally. (Here is NF’s recent post on the NDC, Decentralization, Incubator etc – Update on Near Decentralized Funding, DAOs, and Accelerator – NEAR Protocol)

2. The GWG gives framework insights and support as collaborative problem solvers. We will not have a vote on who is funded and are here as a function of listening, framing, and supporting. The budget that is currently allocated to GWG will NOT remove funds for the GDAOs. The GWG budget reflects the needs for creating a governance platform – largely the technology for voting which is the crucial element of our collective success. There are RFPs out now for engagement with the community in the technology dev for voting, and this will continue.

3. The Trustees have been through a lengthy and rigorous vetting procedure conducted by a working group within the GWG: the Legal Working Group, a group of legal professionals with ties to the NEAR community. Initially, the community was asked to put forward names of prominent community members, eventually, five people were asked and were happy to take on the role of becoming a Trustee of the Community Treasury. The GWG will shortly be permitted to release a beginners guide to the Community Treasury outlining more details on the Trustee vetting procedure. We are not legally allowed to provide those names or details until the legal instrument has been signed and launched. The trustees will NOT be permanent members and are engaged to START this crucial project of having community-led governance.

4. We posted our WHO WE ARE bios, background, and intentions for the entire community, and believe we bring ethical practices, the experience that’s valuable, and a sincere desire to be of service to the community.

5. We will provide the Q4 bounties list to the community, and we have let the person who has not collected their bounty know that they have 24 hours to do so or default. Once that timeframe has cleared we will certainly share it here. We will be providing much more information on the Community Treasury when we have the go-ahead from legal – again, we do not make that call within our group.

I hope that this has helped to give more information, and context and supports our dialog in general.

2 Likes

Could you please share a link where the Community was asked? And full list of candidates with election procedure, criteria. I believe they were elected against NDC Manifesto and Constitution.

2 Likes

Questions to Near Community

Have you been informed about the NDC trustees’ election?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Would you like to participate in the NDC trustees’ election?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Did the trustees’ election process against the NDC manifesto and constitution?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Should the Community reelect NDC trustees?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

5 Likes

Sadly, as one of the most active members of the community, I didn’t know about this through any communication channel, both on forum & NDC’s TG groups. I doubt if the larger community was informed and put forwards the names.

Is NDC Manifesto just a paper work with no application value?

5 Likes

Was the Foundation aware of this & totally fine with it? @shreyas @DammnThatsCrazy

5 Likes

There was no “trustee election” with regards to the trust instrument creating the Community Treasury. It would also not make any sense to have an election in this regard given that trustees are not politicians, they have to safeguard assets and act within the boundaries that are set out in the trust instrument. You need to have capable and professional individuals who have demonstrated a commitment to NEAR and its community. Once signing procedure is completed both GWG and NF will send out press releases, you will be able to see the trust instrument, information on the vetting procedure and on the trustees of the Community Treasury. Please also note that once a viable voting mechanism is live, the community will be able to remove and appoint trustees to the Community Treasury.

1 Like

@williamx @Dacha

Some responses to your questions:

1. Here are two links to a call to action and update re the Trust where community leaders interested in the NDC had been part of a TG group with the intention to share and have community leaders announce the process –

https://t.me/c/1811690567/468

https://t.me/c/1616423917/518

1. The GWG is learning as we go, and some have even suggested we had too many threads and not just 1 place to share updates. We are developing one Hub and process for a distribution network as quickly as possible. So apologies to all of you in advance, we are trying our best.

2. To restate from my initial post, the trustees were needed to START the trust — one could not be opened without them. And they need to be professionals with experience in finance and management. Though, they are NOT permanent. They can and should be elected when we will have a voting platform that can support the process.

3. The Trustees are NOT primarily there to make funding decisions. That’s what the House of Merit will do. The Trustees are there to execute decisions made by the HoM. Their role is in safeguarding the Community Treasury is largely to ensure that decisions taken are in line with the frameworks and policies prior to executing a transfer.

4. The process of voting is the most crucial of all the things we need to create and actual use to make voting possible, transparent, and fair. We need your support in developing and testing it.

5. Finally, the foundation is fully aware of all we are doing. Again, they own the process of the transfer to the Community Treasury. The GWG is following the rules put before us.

That said, your questions are all, of course, fair, and hope this was helpful.

3 Likes

Hi Dacha, I changed the title back to the one I originally wrote because I was not making a call to vote. I respect your call to vote, though I want to honor what I originally wrote. Thanks.

1 Like

@Dacha and all – here is a list of the Q4 Bounties for GWG activities.

Transparency Openess Community: here is that actually Community feeling, but who care about it ?

2 Likes

The links are not working , probably following to internal groups. Openness?

Instead of apologies - do something. This is issue with trustees, what the call to action ?

It’s why Community doesn’t need to understand who are people and how were selected?

I’m not sure that NF aware about this particular issue.

2 Likes

Hi Dacha, you were a member of this group: NDC Governance Working Group – a group of roughly 300+ people.

https://t.me/c/1811690567/468

https://t.me/c/1616423917/518

I can share screenshots here or, perhaps better, you join again and then can open them all? Whatever works best.

1 Like

lfg Sadly, as one of the most active members of the community

1 Like

Nobody has access to the chats. Maybe only some people.

Happy to try to upload screen shots.

Here are screenshots from the TG NDC Governance Working Group of over 300+ people and NDC Champions Group:

If they walk like ducks, quack like ducks, but the political messaging tells us they are definitely not ducks…
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Ok thanks. The first link was eddited by you.

So, could you please give answers on rest questions: