[IDEATION] Album Distribution Idea

I don’t know if this is the place for general ideas and feedback…
but I feel kinda lost and in over my head so it probably is.

I’m working on an album but I would like to distribute it more like how video games are handled.
So after its initial release, it will receive periodic updates like DLC’s of demo versions, remixes, covers, music videos, ect.
This really seems like the way things are supposed to be, between all of an artists social media, leaks, live proforamces, or 20 years later in a boxset you can find all this material, but what if all of that was included in your purchase from the start.

I played around with minting NFT’s on ETH with mintable with photos of 4 paintings I did, because everytime I’d look up a how to or info about NFTs and music or art, there was mention of file size and gas and I wasn’t working with much… after that I went to try to do a song and paid for the gas but didn’t have enough to mint? something like that… it sucked.
but I don’t want to be turned off to the concept and trying to make my idea happen, I have heard people say I could mint the NFT with links to like a dropbox and do it that way, which I assume would be cheap. Quincy Jones and the music industry launched this OneOf nonsense which is probably simple and easy for a musician to use but I’d like to avoid the industry. I have also looked into Async art and their layering abilities because I can do a lot with that music-wise.

I did think I would have to try to crowdfund to do all the minting for the release and some for promotion, because I think it’s such an obvious idea… artists could even sell their digital media by the year… Maybe I should crowdfund people smarter than me making this distrobution idea into it’s own platform?

The other concern is size my album is 40 tracks standard.
I want the instrumental versions, several demo versions, acapellas, and full stems for remixers.
A loop pack… Like I have ideas for different box set esque versions and kits… ones more ideal for other producers, ones for fans. Because NFTs are collectibles and such. Then there is music videos, making of videos, ect. So the folder could easily be close to 1 TB by the time its done with everything. I assume the idea of the NFT just giving a link to somewhere with that much space wouldn’t effect the minting or gas fees…

is anyone already doing this and I’m just in that much in the dark?

but okay, I’m done rambling… those are my ideas, all feedback and advice is welcome.

3 Likes

Hi @JamieStarrMusic thanks for sharing your thoughts - this place is the perfect spot for that, don’t you worry! To help your post get in front of some people who would be best suited to help you, I’ve made some surface changes to your post - adding the [IDEATION] subject and using the NxM subcategory - as the NEAR x Music Guild (or NxM) would have members more familiar and currently experimenting with what you’re talking about!

@vandal do you know of anyone who is currently trying to release an album as NFTs like what @JamieStarrMusic has been looking at?

We also have a Hackathon happening until June 6 and it’s not too late to join! NxM in particular has its own category for music-focused projects you should check out. And have you looked into Mintbase already as a marketplace for your music NFTs and experimented with potential distribution that way? Or if you have other ideas for your own platform, share them here and the NEAR community will respond!

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply! I have looked into Mintbase, but not too deeply, I’m desperately trying to finish the album before I get wrapped up in videos, NFTs, and all the stuff thats gonna stem from it