[ACCEPTED] To register academic philosophical books as NFTs

I have a few friends who might be interested on this proposal, or rather on it continuation, when you star minting authors out of UFPel, some are out of academic world, but they have really interesting books already written

2 Likes

We intend to curate 10 books, because maybe authorazation could be hard. So we can guarantee 10, but our intention is to bring as many as we can, because they are already curated, for being published by a university publisher. Do you agree?

2 Likes

Thank you, friend! So Let’s go!

Oh, this is so cool! I really think we should keep the project and publish these academic writers. I like the idea of our project bring as much academic writers we can to the Web 3. If you can, let me know your friends. Are their books published by a university publisher, or are they unpublished? We can go 2 ways here: we could publish unpublished material, as an editor, and we can publish NFTs from published material. The second option is easier, but if we want to follow the first, maybe we can dive deeper and build a Publisher, that could create ISBN and DOI numbers for books.

Which are their are? Are they from philosophy or other academic areas? I am so excited with Academy coming in…

1 Like

right now I busy with a Nomade Dao proposal, but as soon as I finish I will send you some links on telegram

1 Like

Thank you, fren! :smiley: Good luck with Nomade DAO proposal! <3

Excited by this proposal! I also say, let’s go ahead with it :slight_smile:

1 Like

As an author of non-academic books and the son of an academic author/editor of over 100 book, I like this proposal for not only giving some love to the academics but also the showcasing of basic knowledge. I will ask my Dad what he thinks of this and whether he would participate in something like this. He is an alcohol and drug researcher out of Melbourne.

1 Like

This is really cool to know, because i am in another project that this maybe interesting for me. Are the books edited by your father on public domain or at least are freely available? I am asking that, because I am building a library to NEAR, with NEAR knowledge and academic knowledge, and we can add the books from your father, if they are free. @shiftshapr

Partial Report:

50 usd in near to onboard the UFPel Publisher, Juliano do Carmo @jsc2022.near. (paid by @thephilosopher to @jsc2022.near) (payback the philosopher)
100 usd in near (or 6.5 near) to open a store for philosophy books on the blockchain and paying the mintinig and listing of the NFTs. (paid by @thephilosopher) (payback the philosopher)
200 usd in near to produce turntable gifs from a voxel version of the 10 books. (20 usd per gif) (not paid yet, to @gushlewis)
200 usd in near to collect material to the description of books and miniting all the books. (20 usd per material collected to the description and mintin work) (probably made by @thephilosopher)
200 usd in near to contact the authors and collect authorizations (20 usd in near per each authorization) (made by @jsc2022.near and @thephilosopher)

TOTAL: 750 usd in NEAR (450 usd to @thephilosopher, 200 usd to @gushlewis, and 150 usd to @jsc2022.near)

Products for now: 1 nft store for philosophy and art books, 1 account for a university publisher (@jsc2022.near Juliano do Carmo) with 4.5 near inside, authorization to use 10 books as NFT products.

Done for now + proof:

Account creation (sent 0.25 near): https://explorer.mainnet.near.org/transactions/8wPdiyyFVoB3ACB1ZToUxckqNubCGXkaWPTab13USjwi
4.25 N transaction: NEAR Explorer | Transaction

• We decided 10 books to mint and requested authorization from the authors.
  • We are now working on wearable making.
2 Likes

250 usd = 22,65 N
500 usd = 45,30 N
750 usd = 67,95 N
1000 usd = 90,60 N

This project is going to be paid 67,95 Near (750 usd in near - right conversion rate)
@thephilosopher 40,77 N (from which 13,29 is to payback)
@gushlewis 18,12 N
@jsc2022.near 13,59

I will request 350 usd (31.71 Near) now for me and later I will request 100 usd for me (9.60 near), 200 usd for @gushlewis (18.12 near) and 100 usd for @jsc2022.near (13.59 near). In fact, they will request themselves.

Happy to support.

Below is what my Dad wrote. If you are interested in working with any of these, let me know which ones and I will let him know and see what would be next steps.

Daveed –

You might want to look at the SALIS collection: The SALIS Collection: Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drugs : Free Texts : Free Download, Borrow and Streaming : Internet Archive

This was organised by Andrea Mitchell, the former librarian at the Alcohol Research Group in Berkeley/Emeryville. To put books etc. in it, they have to be more or less in the public domain (OK, it’s probably a bit more complicated than that). (amitchell@salis.org)

I’ve listed below books where I’m a co-author which I think are more or less in the public domain. Let me know if want anything more about any of them.

With love, Dad.

Laslett, A.-M., Room, R., Waleewong, O., Stanesby, O. & Callinan, S., eds. (2019) Harm to Others from Drinking: Patterns in Nine Societies . Geneva: World Health Organization. Harm to others from drinking: patterns in nine societies

Laslett, A.-M., Mugavin, J., Jiang, H., Manton, E., Callinan, S., MacLean, S. & Room, R.

(2015) The Hidden Harm: Alcohol’s Impact on Children and Families . Canberra: Foundation for Alcohol Research & Education. The hidden harm: Alcohol's impact on children and families | FARE
Laslett, A.-M., Catalano, P., Chikritzhs, T., Dale, C., Doran, C., Ferris, J., Jainullabudeen,

T., Livingston, M., Matthews, D., Mugavin, J., Room, R., Schlotterlein, M. & Wilkinson,

C. (2010) The Range and Magnitude of Alcohol’s Harm to Others . Canberra: Alcohol Education and Rehabilitation Foundation. https://fare.org.au/wp-content/uploads/The-Range-and-Magnitude-of-Alcohols-Harm-to-Others.pdf
Cherpitel, C.J., Borges, G., Giesbrecht, N., Hungerford, D., Peden, M., Poznyak, V.,

Room, R. & Stockwell, T., eds. (2009) Alcohol and Injuries: Emergency Department Studies in an International Perspective . Geneva: Departments of Mental Health and Substance Abuse & of Injuries and Violence Prevention, World Health Organization.http://www.who.int/entity/substance_abuse/msbalcinuries.pdf?ua=1
Rødner Sznitman, S., Olsson, B. and Room, R., eds. (2008) A Cannabis Reader: Global

Issues and Local Experiences – Perspectives on Cannabis Controversies, Treatment and Regulation in Europe. 2 vols. EMCCDA Monograph No. 8. Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities. http://referentiel.nouvelobs.com/file/319/526319.pdf

Obot, I.S. & Room, R., eds. (2005) Alcohol, Gender and Drinking Problems: Perspectives from Low and Middle Income Countries . Geneva: World Health Organization, Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse.

Room, R., ed. (2002) The Effects of Nordic Alcohol Policies: What Happens to Drinking when Alcohol Controls Change? Helsinki: Nordic Council for Alcohol and Drug Research, NAD Publication 42. Log In ‹ SACASR On-line Library — WordPress
Room, R., Jernigan, D., Carlini-Marlatt, B., Gureje, O., Mäkelä, K., Marshall, M., Medina-Mora, M.E., Monteiro, M., Parry, C., Partanen, J., Riley, L. and Saxena, S. (2002) Alcohol in Developing Societies: A Public Health Approach . Helsinki: Finnish Foundation for Alcohol Studies & Geneva: World Health Organization.

Demers, A., Room, R. and Bourgault, C., eds. (2001) Surveys of Drinking Patterns and Problems in Seven Developing Countries . Geneva: World Health Organization,

Department of Mental Health and Substance Dependence, WHO/MSD/MSB/01.2.http://www.unicri.it/min.san.bollettino/dati/AlcBrochur.pdf

Thomas Babor, Robert Campbell, Robin Room and John Saunders, compilers (1994) Lexicon of Alcohol and Drug Terms . Geneva: World Health Organization. http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/terminology/who_lexicon/en/

Susanna Barrows, Robin Room and Jeffrey Verhey, eds. (1987) The Social History of

Alcohol: Drinking and Culture in Modern Society . Berkeley: Alcohol Research Group.

Robin Room and Susan Sheffield, eds. (1976) The Prevention of Alcohol Problems . Sacramento, California State Office of Alcoholism.
John O’Donnell, Harwin Voss, Richard Clayton, Gerald Slatin and Robin Room (1976)

Young Men and Drugs: A Nationwide Survey . NIDA Monograph No. 5, Washington,

D.C.: U.S.G.P.O. https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED159547.pdf
Kettil Bruun, Griffith Edwards, Martti Lumio, Klaus Mäkelä, Lynn Pan, Robert E.

Popham, Robin Room, Wolfgang Schmidt, Ole-Jørgen Skog, Pekka Sulkunen, and Esa

Österberg (1975) Alcohol Control Policies in Public Health Perspective . Helsinki: The Finnish Foundation for Alcohol Studies, Vol. 25. http://www.alkoholitutkimussaatio.fi/core/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Alcohol-Control-Policies-In-Public-Health-Perspective.pdf

1 Like

Wonderful list of books. If you or your father could be certain that these books are on public domain or authorized by the publisher to be linked with an image NFT from a 3d object inspired on them, we could use them in our project. So, in order to use the books, we need authorization from the author and the publisher. @shiftshapr

Project Final Report

To register academic philosophical books as NFTs

Project Status: completed

Project Accounting: We minted 10 NFTs, with splits of 25% to The Writers’ Guild, in the store we opened to mint philosophical books and related art.

Resources: 350 usd in near was asked in advance. 400 usd will be asked now for me (100 usd in near = 9,06 near), for @gushlewis (200 usd in near = 18,12 near) and for @jsc2022.near (100 usd in near = 9,06 near).

Updated Project Timeline:
Dates as foreseen.

Highlights:
1 store for philosophy work with 10 minted NFTs.

Learnings:
We’ve learnt that we need more time, if the rendered gifs are intended to have 100 frames. We can build with 20 frames in an acceptable time.

Next Steps:
Keep building real books as NFTs, in order to bring creative writing to the blockchain.

Minted NFTs for now in our MINTBASE STORE PHILOSOPHART:

5 Likes

the 3D voxel books are really attractive, as well the chosen name for the store, well done!

2 Likes

This is a belated comment: your report looks thorough and you can claim your payout. Excited about bringing academia to the blockchain!

1 Like

Me too! There is so much we can do! Last year, I was thiking about a cryptocurrency to use at university, to give to students for done tasks. Let’s see what we can develop. Thank you so much for the support! <3

Let me ask you something, friend, if we mint Voxel books NFTs that publicize your father’s books, whose wallet should we put in the split? We are not thinking in selling them, but to give them; however it is good that royalties are determined because of secondary sales.

And do you think you convince him to come here himself and accept we do this, as an authorization?

Hi there!
Here is what my Dad wrote (he’s pretty busy)…

Daveed –
As you’ll see, all these books have multiple authors (some now dead), and getting an authorisation from publishers is likely to involve byzantine correspondence and lawyers. So I’m not up for pursuing it.
To include something in the SALIS collection, Andrea and her colleagues have to go through some version of what The Philosopher advises. I remember that one book could be loaded because the publisher was insisting on an OK from each of the multiple authors, but a couple of them were dead.
And still I think there are some limits on how SALIS collection items can be used.
Dad

1 Like

Yeah… These authorizations are hard to get, @shiftshapr.
We were thinking in something like this for the books:

We’ve put the PDFs together, but we could just put the link with a cover image without the PDF, if it is better for your father.